Today was the long awaited rematch between my NMSFNO, with its full convex zero edge, and my re-profiled convexed M9LE. Last time, to the suprise of many, the shorter NMSFNO clearly out chopped my touched up M9LE. The M9LE came with one of the best factory edges I have ever seen on any big knife. So all I did was give it a few light strops with a ceramic rod. But this time, I thinned the edge a little more for a thinner final convex edge. I have learned through experience that the edge profile can be critical in a chop-off. And I just can't bring myself to leave factory edges alone.
[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
My first hint was the fact that I could stick the edge of the M9LE into the log to hold it there for a picture, but try as I may, the more rounded profile of the NMSFNO convex grind would not let me do that.
This is a pretty big limb, so it will take some sweat and work today. Here is the limb after 50 chops with the NMSFNO.
Finally, after 117 chops, I chopped through.
It's the M9LE Bowie's turn. It stuck deep with each chop, but occasionally would bind in the wood.
After 50 chops:
I finally chopped through after 123 chops.
Some might consider this one too close to call, and it is close, but I give the edge to the Busse. It is the choppingest 8" blade I have ever seen, even beating my Ratweiler and Bark River Hudson Bay Camp Knife. And those are killer choppers. For an all-around chopper bowie, I still prefer the DFLE and M9LE, but for an indestructible camp/survival knife, I am going with the NMSFNO.
[img]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/rivershaman/Busse/M9NO006.jpg[/img]

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.