It sounds like you've made up your mind to enlist. Bear in mind, if your plans do not align with the military's plans for you - you're going to end up doing something else and will be out the number of years you enlist for afterwards. That's time you can't make up.

My brother-in-law is getting out of the Army this month, and wishes he'd finished college instead of enlisting. He chose to quit school, and enlist because my sister has FIVE children and money was very tight. Now my brother-in-law is getting out of the military with no discernible skills. He'll also have to compete for a job in this economy.

I only say this because my father was military, my step mother was military, my step father was military. The three of those parents had 56 years of combined service - AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM SAID I WAS PROHIBITED FROM ENLISTING.

I'd recommend you soul search about the reality related to making a career out of gunsmithing after 3-6 years in the military.

I'm a certifiable gun nut, and wanted to do something related to guns because they're my passion. However, I decided to go to college and work in a career that could allow me to buy guns at will. This isn't a knock on your dreams, but is coming from a guy that had similar interests / considerations 20 years ago and is very happy with his decision.

It will take you longer, but you can work your way thorough college. Frankly, without a college degree your prospects for a "bright financial future" are bleak.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.