Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
My Problem is I try to figure out every contingency and prepare for it. These Kits aren't designed for that so I need Guidance and that is just what I am getting from this and your new revised thread. Plus there are a FEW things I could add on my own. smile

Its easy to over stuff a kit (regardless of the size). Gear Creep is a common issue. At one point, around ten years ago, my Bug Out Bag weighed 89 pounds.

E I G H T Y N I N E P O U N D S

My BOB weighs 31 pounds now.

I've been asked to evaluate and analyze other people's kits many many many times over the years, and a few common mistakes always happen:

1) Low quality gear where they shouldn't have tried to save money (typically knives and first aid);

2) Too much redundancy. If we all had pack mules that followed us around it would be okay to have 8 lighters, 6 mess kits, 22 rolls of toilet paper, and a blow up matress, but we don't so pick your redundant items carefully. Redundancy is ONLY WARRANTED in the Core 3: Fire, Water, Shelter Making. Knives fall under all three categories.

3) Unnecessary gear. This is usually a result of overthinking the issue, lack of experience or knowledge, and thinking survival is like a hiking or camping trip. THRIVING is a hiking or camping trip. SURVIVING is getting by until the situation improves. Each requires an entirely different type of planning.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.