Unsub: I agree that there are a myriad of traps that can be built, but there are only 2-3 that, if mastered, are all you need. Figure-4 deadfalls, for example, are very similar to piute deadfalls, but the former is FAR easier to set up (IMO). I've found it useful to learn a couple of different trigger mechanisms, and you can basically create your own traps to fit the scenario. The SAS Survival Handbook (New York: HarperCollins Publisher Inc., 2004) has a very complete section on traps and trapping, but again, it includes a lot of very complicated traps that I find rather dubious. Another good resource (that copied the SAS book down to the diagrams) is this one, however it has only about 75% as many traps as the SAS book:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php

(Don't let the add for a cheapie survival knife at the bottom of the page fool you, the trapping info is legitimate )

Sharp: thanks for posting the pics, I'm headed out for much fire-starting today because its sunny

Nick: I found the wedge method to be even better than batoning with the knife, esp. if you have a small one. With the RMD, I frequently run out of tip to baton on, so I typically insert my RD7 upside-down into the split (so that the spines are facing each other) and then push the knives in opposite directions to split the two pieces of wood apart. This wedge method is def. something to keep in mind.

P.S. something else I learned recently: brownie sundaes at Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream of REALLY GOOD!

Have you hugged your camp knife today?