The idea of a .410 shotgun revolver really appealed to me. It seemed like an ideal home defense gun. Having owned a number of 410s, I knew they had a tight pattern that would make a terminal wound at close range without the dangers of over penetration that a big bore revolver might do. A friend who bought two Taurus Judges last year, was searching for a high capacity .223 carbine to use in the upcoming collapse of civilization. Since I had a "surplus" Kel-Tech SU-16, and he was willing to pay the cash value difference, we traded. So the deal was done and now I have this most intimidating horse pistol.
[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
The long cylinder holds five .410 2.5" shotshells or 45 long Colt rounds. This one has the 6" barrel, but a 3" version is also available. The hogleg weighs about 2.8 lbs loaded.
I just had to know, or as the man said in Dirty Harry, "I gots to know". So I stepped out back and blasted the ash catcher or whatever it was to my old Weber fireplace. This was at a range of only about 7 feet or less, "Oh, a snake" range.
Wow, talk about a scatter gun. This pattern is much wider than I anticipated.
An armed assailant at 25 or 30 feet might be peppered all over with #4 shot,
but the damage might not be enough for a stop. On the other hand, at car jacking range, it would be quite effective.
So what am I going to use this for? It is too big to use as a trail gun. I could use it on rattlesnakes, if I loaded it with smaller shot, but the high raccoon population here keeps them in check. I could load it with alternating rounds of #4 or #6 shot and 45 Long Colt ammo for home defense, I guess. After all, I have some nice little trail guns that can take snake shot.
The little S&W model 317-1 with 8 .22LR capacity is a favorite, as is the S&W Air Lite Ti in .38 Spl +P five shooter. And my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44 spl isn't much bigger and packs a whallop.
I'm going to have to think on this for a while. Right now, I would not recommend the Judge for personal defense unless loaded with .45 Long Colt ammo.

Last edited by Horn Dog; 11/16/08 03:53 PM.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.