So, I just bought myself a midrange drill press, and assembled it all last night. I've also ordered a very large supply of BZ belts from Lee Valley, as well as some cheap, very coarse belts from another company.

I plan to try and make my first knife; waiting back on a response from a nearby metal supplier. Hopefully either D2, BG-42, or 154CM. The supplier might be able to get S30V, but has to check on it. Since I'm thinking of using this as a kitchen all-purpose blade, a nice stainless seems the way to go.

My first attempt isn't going to be huge or anything; just a small blade, similar to the Muela Rebeco blade I own, just slightly more curved. Still haven't figured what I'd like to slap onto it for handle material though.

What type of drill bits should I be looking at for drilling through the steel, for creating the holes for holding the scales on? What speed should I be attempting to drill through the steel? The press can drill at speeds of 570, 900, 1390, 2050, and 3050 RPMs.

Once I've gotten the basic form, should I temper the steel? If so, how would I do it, since I've no knowledge of what this process involves.

Any help here would be appreciated.

JYD#70 Warning! There are more than just dogs in this yard!