I wasn't going to cook today, honest. I pulled some of the grill duty Saturday at our machine gun shoot, and I was about grilled out, but at around 3PM I got the urge for a burger. Not a fast food burger, but a real one....

Of course, I had nothing, so I had to go to the store.

I figured, being Memorial Day, why not make it a special burger?

I started with 2 pounds of 80/20 and 2 pounds of 93/7 ground sirloin (Black Angus). To that I added a pack of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, some minced garlic, cracked black pepper, Cajun seasoning to taste, 4 slices of thick bacon, diced, and my secret ingredient, 4 oz of shredded Cheddar cheese. (trust me on this). I kneaded the burger mixture together, gave it a splash of Worcestershire to wet it a bit more, and let it rest in the fridge.

Then I took a pound of thick sliced center cut bacon, and seasoned it with cracked black pepper and Cajun rub. This also was allowed to set in the fridge.

That being done, I shucked some corn, buttered and seasoned it, and rolled it in foil for roasting.

I pattied the burgers (four pounds; eight burgers..you do the math), and cranked up the grill.

Breaking from the norm, I grilled the bacon...
[Linked Image from images49.fotki.com]

As you can see I put the corn on as well. 25-30 minutes if your grill is around 450-500.

The bacon crisps up quickly on the grill...watch out for flare ups.

Here's the plate of burgers
[Linked Image from images47.fotki.com]

The pic didn't really give an idea of the size of the burgers, so I used my mitt next to the plate to add perspective..

[Linked Image from images50.fotki.com]

Everything's grilling....on the side burner is a pot of maple bacon pork & beans, and I zipped it up by adding some diced Vidalia onion and some of the grilled bacon from earlier.

At this point, I realized cooking a lot of things at once is easier when you have an assistant....I was on my own today, so....I was struggling.

Burgers done, I added some Colby Jack Artisan cheese and left the burgers on the upper rack for the cheese to melt...

The finished product.
Burger with cheese and bacon on a toasted fresh bakery Kaiser roll, sweet potato fries, beans with onion & bacon, and roasted sweet corn with butter.

To carry out the Memorial Day theme, HRA M1 Garand, Lake City M2 Ball, Smith & Wesson M1917 .45acp, Utica Cutlery M1 Bayonet. Beer is Shock Top Belgian Wheat. I figured it was worth a try...it was on sale. Not bad, but I think I like Pyramid better.

Gratuitous food shot..

The bun makes it looks small, but it's actually a very big, thick burger...

The best part about cooking your own food and not cooking for someone else is that you can cook it how *you* want it. None of that "ewww...mine's not well done" crap.

I've got some Carvel ice cream cake in the freezer, but I don't know if I'll be able to eat it....that burger was really, really filling.

Anyway, nothing that special. I was alone and bored and felt like grilling. I'm make something fancy next time.

[color:"red"]Hey man! There's a beverage involved here...

JYD#92[/color]