Ive owned two Bulgarian AKs, as well as 2 WASRs (plus an experience with a really bad WASR), and a Russian/Arsenal SGL-21. My first bulgie was an AK-74 parts kit built on an American made receiver, and second is my current SLR-106F. The 74 wasn't too bad, but the receiver must have been dimensioned incorrectly, or the difference between metric and standard caused it, because eventually the magazine catch rivets began to work loose just from inserting and removing the magazines. I tried shaving my mags, but eventually decided the rifle was going to be too much work, so I sold it. My current rifle, though, is a new production SLR-106F and it has been a joy. It cost a bit more, almost 950$ when i bought it, but it was worth every penny. I even torture tested it over a weekend with 1000rds of .223, and nary a bobble. Properly built, Bulgarian kits have a rep for being solid, sturdily built weapons, so my 74 may have been an exception rather than the rule, but in my experience, you definitely get what you pay for in an AK. With the exception of a Vepr, which like a unicorn, for my money an Arsenal AK can't be beat.

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118