Originally Posted by Feldgrun
Choils on large choppers and other neat elements like a "skull crusher" pommel are nifty on some custom knives with tactical names, but SY knives are for those of us who expect quality hard-use knives. Choils have their place, but not for every knife or every model. I'd like to see a departure from that on a 4" model to be used as a good bushcrafter. If the 311 blade's mini-choil was removed, thinned out a bit, extended out about 1/2" and left uncoated, (look at CABS blade) I think it would be a hit (expecially if made from INFI)! A CABS blade on a Res-C handle = SY perfection.

I agree completely, I'd definitely buy at least one of those if they were released. I can think of far more reasons NOT to have choils on knives, but I won't list them here as I already sound like a broken record talking about this matter. I fall squarely into the category of those that consider a choiled knife a spoiled knife. I can't tell you how many models I've been really interested in that were offered, but had to decide against because they ALL have a choil.

The reality, however is that every single Scrap Yard release has featured a choil in one form or another. The same is also true of Swamp Rat and less than a handful of Busse's have been released with a choilless configuration. I'm not saying something like that will never happen, but I'd certainly not hold my breath waiting for one of those. There's just not enough people on the forums asking for choilless knives, so the Kin' just continue producing the same types of knives that they have been for years. Can't really fault them for that as they sell a ton of them, but I definitely WILL NOT be pre-ordering any new SYKCO, SRKW or Busse releases unless they are offered with at least the option of no choil.

Junk Yard Dog #152 - Woof!