Well I think I said something a couple months ago, but my shotgun plans fell through. I didn't get to my Mom and Dad's sale in time to get the guns I wanted to keep and they all sold! That's OK though as Patty and I came out REAL good on the sale and sale of the house.

Anyway, I saw a shotgun today I hadn't heard of. A tristar. It's a tactical pump (pistol grip, hi-viz front sight protected by "Wings" ghost ring rear and 5+1 capability). One thing I had never heard of before is that it has a forward assist on the pump. I mean there is a spring around the magazine tube that shoves the pump FORWARD after you rack the slide to the rear. And the bolt will not stay open with this feature, but you can remove the spring and it will function as a normal pump. $267.00 at a new sporting/outdoors store that opened up about 30 miles away.

AND I also stopped by a GS and they have 20ga tactical Weatherby pumps, same setup at the tristar (without the forward assist) but selling for about 300-325.

OK, question is do I NEED a 12ga? I have hunted all sorts of game (NEVER been waterfowl hunting) with a 20 and never felt under gunned. I really like the feel of the Weatherby better than the Tristar. It was lighter of course, just a bit shorter and mounted to my shoulder easier/faster and didn't get snagged on my shirt. So for a house gun and maybe even a "The Barbarians are at the gate" situation, what is your take on the 20 over the 12. Can I do OK with the 20. I am thinking that I could also carry more shells for the 20 for the same weight as the 12s would be.

If I got the 20 I would probably use slugs and #2 buckshot, or maybe #1, nothing smaller unless I was hunting with it. Oh and I think it has screw in choke tubes!

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 08/13/13 02:03 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105