Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003073 05/29/14 08:00 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Taken from Wikipedia.

Alas, Babylon is a 1959 novel by American writer Pat Frank (the pen name of Harry Hart Frank). It was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age and remains popular 55 years after it was first published, consistently ranking in Amazon.com's Top 20 Science Fiction Short Stories list (which groups together short story collections and novels).[1] The novel deals with the effects of a nuclear war on the small town of Fort Repose, Florida, which is based upon the actual city of Mount Dora, Florida.[2] The book's title is derived from Revelation 18:10: Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

Plot summary

Randy (Randolph) Bragg lives in the small Central Florida town of Fort Repose and appears to be drifting down a somewhat aimless path in life when his older brother, Colonel Mark Bragg, an Air Force Intelligence officer, sends a telegraph ending in the words "Alas, Babylon," a pre-established code between the two brothers warning of impending disaster. Mark is flying his family down to Fort Repose for their protection while he stays at Offutt Air Force Base in Omaha, Nebraska.

Soon after, an American fighter pilot attempting to intercept an enemy plane over the Mediterranean inadvertently fires an AIM-9 Sidewinder heat-seeking missile that goes off course and hits an ammunition depot in Latakia, Syria, resulting in a large explosion. This event becomes the apparent casus belli for the Soviet Union to launch a nuclear strike against the United States and her allies. Early the following morning, Soviet missiles arrive from over the Arctic, as well as from submarines, while American missiles are sent in response. Randy and his house guests are awakened by shaking due to bombing of various air force bases and naval air stations across central and northeast Florida; one explosion temporarily blinds Peyton, Randy's niece.

Things are chaotic at first: Tourists are trapped in their hotels, telegraph lines fail to work, the use of the CONELRAD radio system exposes its weaknesses, convicts escape from jails and prisons, and a run on the bank results in the bank's closing. Randy organizes his immediate neighbors to provide housing, food, and water for themselves.

Over the months, news trickles in exclusively through the radio. Most of the government on both sides has been eliminated. The current American president, Josephine Vanbruuker-Brown, was formerly the Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare. Having been active as a part-time Army Reserve officer before the Soviet attack, Randy organizes a community self-defense team against bandits and works to rid the community of radioactive jewelry smuggled into Fort Repose from the ruins of Miami.

The following year, Air Force helicopters make contact with Fort Repose. While they offer to evacuate the residents from Florida, which is considered a "contaminated zone," the residents choose to stay. It is revealed that the United States won the war, but at a tremendous cost as it is now the recipient of aid from third world countries such as Brazil and Venezuela.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/29/14 08:01 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003081 05/29/14 08:35 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
It sounds similar to JW Rawles series of books (Patriots, etc).

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003093 05/29/14 09:36 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I agree^^^ an on that note I hear he has another coming out.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: greaser] #1003103 05/29/14 11:20 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by greaser
I have a few hommage watches, they are not taboo to most like fakes because they just copy the style not the trademarks.

[Linked Image from gearpatrol.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com]

Well played.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003111 05/29/14 12:16 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Oh and Don't get me wrong, I've done my share

Me too. I chose not to from a perspective of experience.

I'd rather have a cup of organic herbal (caffeine free) tea.

I don't even drink caffienated drinks.

I love good fresh ground coffee and whole leaf tea as well, but Micro brews and single barrel bourbon are my real down fall.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003116 05/29/14 12:41 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I was a coffee fanatic. Giving it up, four or five years ago, was very difficult. The smell of coffee when I walk into a Fresh Market makes me yearn for a cup.

Alas, I gave up caffeine and won't go back.

Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003128 05/29/14 01:28 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I get the same way with copenhagen I know I would puke if I took a dip but it still makes my mouth water going on 14 years later.

JYD#176
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003147 05/29/14 05:06 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
mmmmmmmmm.....coffee..... I don't drink much at all (growing up with an alcoholic probably saved me from that), but will when with friends or on occasions, I don't smoke, never have but ccccccooooooofffffeeeeeee....yes please, down to one a day when working and a couple at home when on days off now....but I really...NO REALLY enjoy those few. Even here in the office, if the espresso van is late or I miss it for some reason, almost everyone in the building knows to steer clear of me or risk injury... wink The girls in the admin support section have even been known to go out (under their own steam, not having been asked) and buy me coffee, when asked they explain it as a “community service gesture” … not so much for me…but for those around me…. laugh

A mate I hunt with a few times a year (he is Croatian) makes his own wines, as he says some "vintages" (more of a week than a year for him) are better than others. No preservatives so very little in the way of a hangover when he “forces” me to drink it… no truly…I describe him as “The Devil” when it comes to food and drink…he is not at all happy unless everyone around him is eating and drinking….but he is a great cook and his wine is nice…so we do….as I said… he is The Devil..!!

Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003317 05/30/14 12:23 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
LOL I can go without the coffee but working from 10pm to 8am almost makes it a necessity and if I am going to drink it it had better be good.

I brew my own beer and a friend does wine so we share back and forth I never really enjoyed wine until I had hers it is fantastic.

JYD#176
Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1003329 05/30/14 03:20 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie
mmmmmmmmm.....coffee..... I don't drink much at all (growing up with an alcoholic probably saved me from that), but will when with friends or on occasions, I don't smoke, never have but ccccccooooooofffffeeeeeee....yes please, down to one a day when working and a couple at home when on days off now....but I really...NO REALLY enjoy those few. Even here in the office, if the espresso van is late or I miss it for some reason, almost everyone in the building knows to steer clear of me or risk injury... wink The girls in the admin support section have even been known to go out (under their own steam, not having been asked) and buy me coffee, when asked they explain it as a “community service gesture” … not so much for me…but for those around me…. laugh

A mate I hunt with a few times a year (he is Croatian) makes his own wines, as he says some "vintages" (more of a week than a year for him) are better than others. No preservatives so very little in the way of a hangover when he “forces” me to drink it… no truly…I describe him as “The Devil” when it comes to food and drink…he is not at all happy unless everyone around him is eating and drinking….but he is a great cook and his wine is nice…so we do….as I said… he is The Devil..!!

I've never smoked, really don't drink alcohol, gave up caffeine and soft drinks about four years ago. Giving up coffee is still hard. When I smell it or see a free sample someplace.... It takes a lot of will power to resist its deliciousness.

Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1003371 05/31/14 01:41 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Embrace your dark side. It will empower with abilities you never dreamed of. wink

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Gear Pictures - Guns, Gear & Blades (of course!) [Re: Spider-Pig] #1004301 06/09/14 03:35 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
That looks like a modern Hoosier cabinet.

Here's the one my wife's mom gifted to us (it was her grandmother's)....

[Linked Image from i62.tinypic.com]

It looks nice in our little house.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10