Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005439 06/19/14 10:31 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
Originally Posted by greaser
Ok thanks Arch just wondered about that stuff. I ask about the passive heating and cooling because I have been thinking of incorporating it into my home when I build and I figured you being an architect you might have some in site into it.

Trombe Walls, etc really don't work.

What does work is integrated solar design:

1) Solar orientation.
2) Roof overhangs that block summer sun but allow winter sun in.
3) Solar mass [the best survival house is a partially in-ground design that uses earth of as a massive insulator. The temperature of earth is 55F at about 6 feet...everywhere in the United States].
4) Naturally aspirated ventilation. Designing the locations of windows to encourage summer cross-ventilation based upon the locations prevailing summer winds, etc.

This is the stuff I have been looking at. My home will be south facing so I am thinking the overhangs should be a good plan. Want to draw up a 1200-1500 sqft home for me? Lol

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005440 06/19/14 10:33 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect
5) If you want "mechanical heat" hydronic systems works well if you have a solar system that powers the pump to move the fluid through a concrete floor. Of course, to be passive the sun would also have to heat the fluid which has proven to be prone to failure.

For heating I believe a solar powered forced air system with sistered wood stove (LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION) is best.

The house design and wood stove should be carefully considered. Eliminate as many hallways / corridors as possible and consider a loft for winter sleeping. The woodstove should be centrally located, but close to an exterior "wood box" door to prevent having to go outside for firewood.

A "wood box" is to be built onto the side of the house with a single opening between the two to permit wood to be pulled in. You fill the wood box instead of carrying in loads of wood (and letting out the heat).

FILL ALL CRACKS. Heating and cooling is lost through the smallest of cracks. "Infiltration" is the #1 cause of problems. Find a natural material and FILL ALL CRACKS! Did I mention to fill all cracks?

Chose the highest quality glazing you can afford. Not all glass is made the same. The quality and location of the coating, etc. all impact the glazing's performance. Try to limit the glazing (doors with glass and windows) to 15% or less of the exterior facade.

EDITED: typos

We will be building with sips so it will be air tight, I also want to do wind and solar.

JYD#176
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005458 06/20/14 01:46 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Sorry I practice commercial architecture (office buildings, hospitals, schools, churches, hotels, factories, etc) exclusively.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005459 06/20/14 01:49 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Side: don't buy SIPS. You can stick frame for less and build a straw bale structure for even less (and properly constructed these offer A LOT of insulation value).

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005460 06/20/14 01:52 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Best option is a partially in ground with properly reinforced CIP walls and continuous riding exterior insulation.

It's a three part solution: earth (insulator), CI (best manmade insulation solution), concrete (thermal mass and ballistic protection for you prepper types).

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005461 06/20/14 01:52 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Rigid not riding ... I'm going to bed

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005463 06/20/14 02:10 AM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have nothing to add to this conversation, but when I was a kid before my dad passed he was seriously considering building (or digging?) an earthen home. I remember being excited about it.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005480 06/20/14 05:15 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I would love to build it into the hill it will be on but we have seasonal flooding that can be high enough to be in the house if I do that. Temps often are below zero for considerable periods of time so it have to be will either be sips or foamed (which brings the price up to sips anyways.)I stick built houses for a living for 8 years and have experience with both.

JYD#176
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005482 06/20/14 06:22 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
sorry I missed the ICFs part they are on the table as well but concrete has increased in price in my area to almost crazy costs.

JYD#176
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7