Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) #1038231 02/23/16 03:16 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately dependent upon your perspective on such issues) we cannot all walk around 24/7 with a GHB (Get Home Bag). Therefore, I've been carrying some form of PSK (Personal Survival Kit) for years. My personally applied maximum size kit is 4"x6"x2". This is small enough to fit in a large pocket, man purse, brief case, jacket pocket, cargo pocket, or even "planner". It is also large enough to hold some basic survival ESSENTIALS.

As a tiny kit, these do not enjoy the luxury of mass scale redundancy and compromise is always required. We all love lists, and hate blanket statements (like I just made) so onto the goods!

FIRE

(1) Bic Butane Lighter
(1) Light My Fire Scout Model Ferro Rod with Striker

WATER

(1) 0.5L Platypus Bottle (collapsible water bottle)
(1) AquaMira Frontier Filter (suck thru water filter)
(6) Katadyn Water Purification Tablets

SHELTER

(20ft) 375 ParaCord (yes, 375. It is much smaller than 550)
(1) Emergency Poncho
(1) Yard Waste Bin Liner (contractor bags work too. Les Stroud uses them for shelter often)
(1) Space Blanket (1 Blanket per PERSONAL Kit).
TOOLS

(1) Gatco Dogbone or Triseps (small knife sharpener)
(1) USGI P51 (large version of the P38 can opener)
(1) Zero Tolerance Folding Knife (usually...0350)

NAV & SIGNALING

(1) County Comm Maratac AA Rev3 Flashlight
(1) County Comm Maratac Flashlight "Globe"
(1 Spare) Battery
(1) Engineer's Compass
(1) Fox40 Micro Whistle (wear ear plugs!)

NOTE: I need to find/fabricate a red filter for the flashlight.

FIRST AID / HYGIENE

(5ft) Duct Tape
(3) Sanitation Wipes
(1) USGI Sealed Adhesive Bandaid

COMMENTS

1) This kit lacks a boiling vessel. I use to store a small stainless tin inside, but it made the pouch feel too bulky. I've chosen to not include a boiling vessel since I have ample water filtration on board.

2) In many ways this is an "E&E" kit. It is small and designed to minimally keep you alive while on the move. I've elected to not include fishing equipment as a result.

3) This kit presumes you're dressed appropriately for the weather/activity you're engaged in. It isn't a comprehensive kit. It is designed to be portable...much like your handgun. I'd much prefer to walk around with a SCAR, but people might be (unnecessarily) alarmed. Therefore, I carry a handgun.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 02:46 AM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038312 02/25/16 07:30 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I don't carry a survival kit, since Denmark is so densely populated, that you wil never be more than an hours walk away from some kind of civilisation.

However, when I purposefully seek out wilderness in Sweden, my firekit will always concist of 3 means of firelighting:

1: Waterproff matches
2: JEEP lighter
3: ESEE Ferrorod, the handle filled with cotton rubbed in petroleum jelly.

The matches, lighter and petroleum cottomballs are left alone till such a time, when the ferrorod is not enough to light the fire.

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038316 02/26/16 03:17 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I USED to have an altoid tin "Kit" that I've abandoned. I probably need to rectify that and build up another one. I do have this one bag (about 4X7X3 that would make a great kit. I also have a smaller maxped Anemone that would also work I think.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038317 02/26/16 03:27 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You know, I could use one of the Bags I got from the Trooper and build up a kit like this and have room for additional items. Throw it all on a nylon belt along with a good knife and sharpener and just leave it in what ever vehicle I am driving that day. Yeah that would work! I could even build up my 511 push pack, which might work even better. I would have room for a SS bottle and a GOOD space blanket.

I like these, with a hood and "Pockets for your hands"
Superinsulator SPACE Brand All-weather Blanket. I have one in blue and one in red.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/26/16 03:29 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038318 02/26/16 04:08 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

Gary, is this what you are talking about?
http://countycomm.com/strobetll.html

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038322 02/26/16 09:25 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have a couple smaller bags that I think would work well for this project, and could go all the way up to the 511 Push Pack thereby allowing for even more items to include a freeze dried meal or two, an all weather space blanket and a 25oz SS water bottler in the side pouch. We will see.

I took this from Gary's list and have a few questions.

FIRE
1. Bic Butane Lighter
IDEALLY I think I would like the Maratac XL peanut lighter
2. Ferro rod/striker I have along with a container of PJCB

WATER
1. I have a Sawyer Mini that includes a 1 lit platypus style bag
2. I also have a bottle of the purification tablets and have plans to incorporate some Bleach as well.

SHELTER
1. I have 2 all weather space blankets that incorporate a head and hand "Pouches" I have both "Tether" cord and 550 cord
2. I need to get one of those flimsy "Emergency" ponchos.
3. I've got two or three of the Large trash/contractor bags left

TOOLS
1. I have about 4 retractable diamond hones (Smith's and Ez-lap)
2. I've got a half dozen of the P51 openers
3. I think I will use my large GTI folder for this

NAV and SIGNALING
1. Probably my new Sidewinder Compact light, it will always be close to me (or at least in the Jeep or truck, of if with someone else in their vehicle.
2. An area or "Glow" light, I'll need to think about this
3. Need to get a couple battery carriers
4. I have a small silva compass
5. I have one whistle but need to pick up another

FIRST AID/HYGIENE
1. Duct Tape I've got, even some clear packing tape
2. Germ X-Wipes (got a dozen of these)
3. Bandaid/bandage "Kit" need to come up with something.

Well I've got MY list now to work on. What do Y'all think of the additions/substitutions I've made?

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/26/16 09:39 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038324 02/26/16 11:55 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter

Not exactly. They use to come with a thimble sized rubberish "globe" that let you use the light like a lantern. The only reason I use the Maratac AA in lieu of a superior Streamlight product is the size. The AA is tiny.

The second picture shows the "globe" or "lantern" on...

http://www.countycomm.com/aaworldssmallest.html

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038325 02/26/16 11:55 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
"- Comes with Silicon Dome "

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038326 02/26/16 11:56 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I forgot, we also keep space blankets in our PSKs. I can't edit the OP.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 02:50 AM.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038337 02/26/16 10:31 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Gary, have you tried the Eagletac D25A? I'm wanting a single AA light and I think I would prefer the clicky Eagletac over the twisty Maratac. I've never handled either one.

Nice to see the P51 in your kit. I also prefer it to the P38.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038339 02/26/16 11:32 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Adam,
I haven't tried one. Maratac has a click model (or they did). I selected the AA because it is tiny (smallest AA on the market). I pocket carry a Leatherman Serac S3 (click tail cap with three brightness settings) daily. All of my other kits have Streamlight Mil Compact Sidewinders.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038340 02/26/16 11:38 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I have a couple smaller bags that I think would work well for this project, and could go all the way up to the 511 Push Pack thereby allowing for even more items to include a freeze dried meal or two, an all weather space blanket and a 25oz SS water bottler in the side pouch. We will see.

I took this from Gary's list and have a few questions.

FIRE
1. Bic Butane Lighter
IDEALLY I think I would like the Maratac XL peanut lighter
2. Ferro rod/striker I have along with a container of PJCB

WATER
1. I have a Sawyer Mini that includes a 1 lit platypus style bag
2. I also have a bottle of the purification tablets and have plans to incorporate some Bleach as well.

SHELTER
1. I have 2 all weather space blankets that incorporate a head and hand "Pouches" I have both "Tether" cord and 550 cord
2. I need to get one of those flimsy "Emergency" ponchos.
3. I've got two or three of the Large trash/contractor bags left

TOOLS
1. I have about 4 retractable diamond hones (Smith's and Ez-lap)
2. I've got a half dozen of the P51 openers
3. I think I will use my large GTI folder for this

NAV and SIGNALING
1. Probably my new Sidewinder Compact light, it will always be close to me (or at least in the Jeep or truck, of if with someone else in their vehicle.
2. An area or "Glow" light, I'll need to think about this
3. Need to get a couple battery carriers
4. I have a small silva compass
5. I have one whistle but need to pick up another

FIRST AID/HYGIENE
1. Duct Tape I've got, even some clear packing tape
2. Germ X-Wipes (got a dozen of these)
3. Bandaid/bandage "Kit" need to come up with something.

Well I've got MY list now to work on. What do Y'all think of the additions/substitutions I've made?

Randy,
No need for more than one P51 or sharpening stone. Duct tape only - packing tape doesn't work in the field (I've tested it).

I like the bleach, but have been afraid it'll end up all over my kit and clothes (in a non emergency):

Silva is a good compass (my standard brand).

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038341 02/26/16 11:42 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
Remember a PSK isn't nearly as big as a GHB: 12 Germ-X (my brand of choice) will take a lot of space. You and the bride could get by with (3) each for 72 hours. They can be "reactivated" with water after they dry out.

A PSK should be able to be carried discreetly.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038347 02/27/16 02:36 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Architect

Not exactly. They use to come with a thimble sized rubberish "globe" that let you use the light like a lantern. The only reason I use the Maratac AA in lieu of a superior Streamlight product is the size. The AA is tiny.

The second picture shows the "globe" or "lantern" on...

http://www.countycomm.com/aaworldssmallest.html

OK, I've had one of those lights for several years but I never got one of the defusers.

OK, I was wrong. I have one of the AAA lights. Now THAT is TINY!

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 02:55 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038348 02/27/16 02:43 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Yeah I will just use one P51 and I wasn't sure about the packing tape, thanks for the tip. Bleach, yeah I thought about it spilling out as well, but figured I could come up with something to hold it. If not, oh well.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038349 02/27/16 02:51 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I forgot, we also keep space blankets in our PSKs. I can't edit the OP.

I edited it for you Gary. Check to make sure I did it right.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038350 02/27/16 02:53 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
Remember a PSK isn't nearly as big as a GHB: 12 Germ-X (my brand of choice) will take a lot of space. You and the bride could get by with (3) each for 72 hours. They can be "reactivated" with water after they dry out.

I wasn't going to put all the quantity in the kit. Just indicated how many I have of them.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038351 02/27/16 02:54 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,

I wasn't going to put all the quantity in the kit. Just indicated how many I have of them.

Basically MY list is just a list of the stuff I COULD , not necessarily will put in the kit.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038352 02/27/16 03:02 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,

YUP, on the way to work tonight I was rethinking my size on this. I think that what you came up with would be about the biggest for a DISCREET Kit.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038353 02/27/16 05:53 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Gary, I think I have everything figured out on your list but this

(1) USGI Sealed Adhesive Bandaid

Can you elaborate on it some?

We've got a gun/knife show coming up the first weekend in March and I think I will look for some stuff there.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038354 02/27/16 06:58 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
They come in the mil issue IFAK. It's just a normal bandaid, but is in a waterproof little baggy.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038355 02/27/16 07:01 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, I thought so. I have one of those in the kit I got from the office.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038357 02/27/16 07:02 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
By checking out the lumens of the Maratac lights, my 3AAA model is only a few behind the 2AA, so I could just use that instead.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038358 02/27/16 07:04 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You're up early for a Saturday.

I went through your and My list and I actually have a lot of the items listed and will only need to buy a few. I checked out the Maxped pouch and like this one.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/5-x-7-x-2-Horizontal-GP-Pouch-Low-Profile-116p767.htm

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038365 02/27/16 08:24 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I may be anal retentive on this but a couple questions about items on your list.

1. Why a bic lighter instead of one of the Peanut XL lighters from County Comm? They will hold a lot of easily obtained conventional zippo lighter fluid plus they seal up with O rings and shouldn't leak out any of the fluid.
2. P51 opener Vs the P38?
3. Why just 5 ft of Duct Tape?
4. 3 Germ-X wipes? Seems a strange number.

There probably isn't a real answer to these questions besides "Just what I settled on", but perhaps not. I'm just curious.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038367 02/27/16 08:32 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I may be anal retentive on this but a couple questions about items on your list.

1. Why a bic lighter instead of one of the Peanut XL lighters from County Comm? They will hold a lot of easily obtained conventional zippo lighter fluid plus they seal up with O rings and shouldn't leak out any of the fluid.
2. P51 opener Vs the P38?
3. Why just 5 ft of Duct Tape?
4. 3 Germ-X wipes? Seems a strange number, maybe just because we are (Normally) used to dealing in pairs or even numbers not odd.

There probably isn't a real answer to these questions besides "Just what I settled on", but perhaps not. I'm just curious.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038372 02/27/16 09:05 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Patty said that I need to go the big gun and knife show here next weekend. WOOHOO, I might go seeing as how we just got our tax refund! smile

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038375 02/27/16 09:25 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Hey Guys, I just had an AH HA event.

It dawned on me that IF you want to carry a Kit like Gary talks about you could find a fantastic Clandestine bag in the form of a small Bible Case! You can find them in sizes just about what Gary recommended and they usually have some sort of religious symbol/words on them and would be great for carrying a kit. I might have to see what is available locally.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038378 02/27/16 12:50 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
I've had mixed results from peanut lighters. Bic is a trusted brand but still has to be tested (they don't always work).

P51 is larger and easier to use.

This kit has to be SMALL so less tape. I've chaired more but it takes space and weighs a lot.

1 wipe per day for 72 hours.

Remember this is suppose to fit in your pocket.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038381 02/27/16 03:06 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, makes sense.

1. I was just thinking the Bic might become activated in the bag in some way and leak out all the butane. BUT you can always wrap a rubber band under the "Safety Lever" to keep it from being pressed down.
2. Duct tape (If you get the wide roll) can be torn in half or smaller and create a lot of taping power.
3. I also like the P51 Vs the P38, it is yes, easier to use.
4. I was thinking the wipes were more for disinfecting than just cleaning.

AND you reminded me again that it is supposed to be a POCKET kit. I keep trying to prepare for everything. Doh!

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/27/16 03:09 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038408 02/28/16 04:51 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Decisions decisions decisions. I think I just found the perfect solution to Gary's PSK.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Fatty-Pocket-Organizer-239p1654.htm

OR this one
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TacTile-Pocket-Small-p415.htm
This one though doesn't have a full clam shell opening like the top one does.

And if you can do with a bit smaller this one may float your boat.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Mini-Pocket-Organizer-239p1559.htm

And this one as well. All different sizes or Vertical/Horizontal carry.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/5-x-7-x-2-Horizontal-GP-Pouch-Low-Profile-116p767.htm

Gary (Because he started this topic) or anyone else. Please look at each one of the links and the size (and orientation, either vertical or horizontal carry) and tell us why you would choose the one (or ones in order) that you did.

Since the "Smallest" kit I've built is the IFAK size which is substantially larger than any of the pouches listed above. I tend to Overstock/think things like this when in reality the large Kits should be reserved for the BOB or GHB (Ideally smaller than the BOB kit)

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 02/28/16 05:23 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038545 03/02/16 06:41 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Grey Ghost Gear has a Slim-line admin pouch that looks nice. Here are the dimensions.

Measurements:

5" Tall
5.75" Wide
2.5" Deep

Nice looking pouch and I think it wouldn't be to much bigger than Gary's max size, and it's a clam-shell type pouch.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 03/02/16 06:42 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038546 03/02/16 06:50 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Gary, what do you recommend, a full clam-shell type pouch or a top loader, and do you prefer a horizontal or Vertical pouch?

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 03/02/16 06:52 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038547 03/02/16 06:59 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I am seriously leaning toward this one, just want to make sure I won't be hindering myself by not getting a clam-shell pouch.

Actually though it probably wouldn't matter. This will not be a Rapid access type of equipment. Maybe this one would be about the best size wise.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 03/02/16 09:27 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038576 03/04/16 09:08 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Spent most of the night checking out pouches for a small large pocket PSK. I think I have settled on a 6x4x2 or a 5.5 by 3.75 by 2.5 inch pouch. Still unsure which one I actually want.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1038793 03/14/16 09:39 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
My Problem is I try to figure out every contingency and prepare for it. These Kits aren't designed for that so I need Guidance and that is just what I am getting from this and your new revised thread. Plus there are a FEW things I could add on my own. smile

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039388 04/01/16 03:46 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well I've got the bag pouch thing completed. Settled on the Maxpedition Malaga for an EDC Small EMERGENCY bag. AND a Maxpedition Fatty organizer (mainly cause I got it for $14.95) ! I am thinking REAL seriously about putting my Chris Reeve Umnumzaan in the organizer. It's a sturdy knife, using S35VM steel at an RC of 59-60 and a blade length of 3.7 inches. It's a Hoss and should work in the Organizer nicely.

I'm still kinda up in the air about a blade for the Malaga. I WANT to use my War dog Or S5, still can't decide which one for sure. BUT under the thinking of dual purpose, I have a Mora knife with a ferro rod built into the handle that is a nice knife that would be a nice touch but an actual rod/striker/magnesium rod wouldn't take up all that much room. Decisions decisions.

I'm pretty satisfied with the other stuff I plan on using in the Malaga and Organizer but will still hem haw around until I actually get them filled. Guess that's part of the fun in building up new kits.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/01/16 07:45 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039389 04/01/16 04:20 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I was just thinking about one thing we haven't or haven't talked about that much is REQUIRED maintenance medications. HOW do we carry them and how many days worth do we carry?

Do we carry them in an amber colored bottle like we get from the pharmacy or in individual (daily) doses? Do we carry them in "Food saver" sealed packets? What is the shelf life of our meds?

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 04/01/16 04:23 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039407 04/01/16 04:04 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy, I've used both and settled on a Clam Shell. It isn't as secure, but prevents having to dump everything out to find that one item you're looking for.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1039408 04/01/16 04:05 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I was just thinking about one thing we haven't or haven't talked about that much is REQUIRED maintenance medications. HOW do we carry them and how many days worth do we carry?

Just say no.

I'm 100% drug free (don't even take Advil or Tylenol) so I've not considered this issue.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: SkunkHunter] #1039409 04/01/16 04:11 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My Problem is I try to figure out every contingency and prepare for it. These Kits aren't designed for that so I need Guidance and that is just what I am getting from this and your new revised thread. Plus there are a FEW things I could add on my own. smile

Its easy to over stuff a kit (regardless of the size). Gear Creep is a common issue. At one point, around ten years ago, my Bug Out Bag weighed 89 pounds.

E I G H T Y N I N E P O U N D S

My BOB weighs 31 pounds now.

I've been asked to evaluate and analyze other people's kits many many many times over the years, and a few common mistakes always happen:

1) Low quality gear where they shouldn't have tried to save money (typically knives and first aid);

2) Too much redundancy. If we all had pack mules that followed us around it would be okay to have 8 lighters, 6 mess kits, 22 rolls of toilet paper, and a blow up matress, but we don't so pick your redundant items carefully. Redundancy is ONLY WARRANTED in the Core 3: Fire, Water, Shelter Making. Knives fall under all three categories.

3) Unnecessary gear. This is usually a result of overthinking the issue, lack of experience or knowledge, and thinking survival is like a hiking or camping trip. THRIVING is a hiking or camping trip. SURVIVING is getting by until the situation improves. Each requires an entirely different type of planning.

Re: Personal Survival Kit (Minimum Gear 4 Max Effect) [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1039410 04/01/16 04:14 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Another common problem is pet-hobby packing.

Some people, for example, are gadget geeks so they have two SAK and two Multi-Tools in their kit. In 32 years of hiking, survival training and experimentation, and training I have never ONCE used or needed or wanted a multitool.

Some people, for example, are tech geeks so they have a pair of solar chargers to prep batteries for gear they don't need. The only battery powered device needed is a flashlight. I don't even advocate battery powered radios in EXTENSIVE LONG TERM kits. Get a wind up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4