Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread #1043446 02/06/20 12:03 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Now that the forum is functioning I thought I'd start a couple of "focused" discussion threads. The first one is "precision shooting".

To start, I have not historically been interested in ultra precise shooting. I spend a lot of time at the range, but until recently I wasn't particularly focused on "one hole" type shooting. I have zero bench rest, Palma, etc experience. Having said that, over the years I have owned some "tactical precision" oriented rifles. This has included a couple of Remington 700 Police with Leupold Mark 4s, a Remington 700 5R, etc. I've had quite a lot of "scoped" semi-autos such as M1As, HK91s, AR15s, etc.

As my interest in precision shooting increased last year I put this together ...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It was a Daniel Defense Mk12 (5.56MM) with the following modifications ...

+ Geissele SSA-E Trigger Group
+ MagPul UBR Gen 2 Stock Assembly
+ SureFire 51T Brake
+ Metal Dust Cover
+ MagPul Enhanced Trigger Guard

Regardless of how much money I spent on this particular rifle I was never really happy with it. I sold it online about three weeks ago. I have other precision-oriented rigs I've been working on (which I will post about) but I wanted to start the discussion with this one.

Does anyone else here like precision shooting? It doesn't have to be "bench rest" or any specific discipline. I'd just like to discuss accuracy driven guns, gear, technology, ammo/reloading, your purpose for your accuracy oriented guns, what you use them for, etc.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043452 02/06/20 12:17 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I just picked this Tikka T3X Stainless Lite 308 Win up from my FFL yesterday. The DNZ mount and Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS scope arrived the day before.

This purpose behind this rifle was to improve my "field gun" accuracy potential. I have a Mossberg MVP 308 Patrol and Ruger 18" Stainless Gunsite 308 but neither of those guns are light or as accurate as I wanted for a "hunting" or "stalking" rifle. After a lot of research I decided I was going to buy a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather or Bergara B14 Hunter or Tikka T3X Stainless. I was set on 308 Win because I have other guns chambered for it, and it is a good performing cartridge. It isn't on par with a 6.5C (from what I've read ... as I have no personal experience) but it is powerful enough for any hunting I'd engage in, common, relatively inexpensive, etc.

I selected the Tikka because it was $350 less than the Winchester and the Bergara has mixed reviews. I've yet to find a negative T3X (in 308 Winchester ... I have read negative reports in belted mag cartridges) review.

I'm hoping this rifle shoots as well as everyone claims because I really want to sell the Mossberg. The Gunsite Scout rifle will probably get kept because it can fulfill a different role. Its more of a "general purpose" rifle when I mount my Leupold FX-II 2.5x IER Scout scope on it. It heavy (18" barrel and laminated stock) but it does make a neat "woods walking" package. The Tikka, on the other hand, is slated for more precise work.

ETA: this Tikka is not a "bench rest rifle" but I did buy it specifically because I wanted an extremely accurate field rifle. This post was to illustrate that we can discuss any type of "accuracy driven" guns .. not just highly specialized rigs.

Last edited by Endeavour Morse; 02/06/20 12:21 PM.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043454 02/06/20 12:25 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Only one I ever had was a Remington 700 VLS with the heavy barrel. I talked to the Remy custom shop guys and they said the ONLY difference between that rifle and the Police "Sniper" was the stock. They just took the same action/barrel assembly and drop it in which ever stock you want. Saved myself about a grand!

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: SkunkHunter] #1043455 02/06/20 01:01 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Only one I ever had was a Remington 700 VLS with the heavy barrel. I talked to the Remy custom shop guys and they said the ONLY difference between that rifle and the Police "Sniper" was the stock. They just took the same action/barrel assembly and drop it in which ever stock you want. Saved myself about a grand!

The VLS is a good rifle. I had a Sendero (300 WM) when they first came out. I think the VLS and Sendero were basically the same rifles sans the barrel fluting on the Sendero.

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043485 02/06/20 10:01 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Alas I got rid of the VLS 308 a few years ago for some things that would be more useful around here IF needed. But I still have my Remy 600 Mohawk 308 that shoots REAL nice. And I also have my evil black rifle, my COLT 6920 (?) carbine length 5.6 and "a Couple" 30 round Magpul magazines and some surplus 20 round GI mags I was given.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043505 02/07/20 03:11 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I just finished this project this week ....

CZ 455 Tacticool with 16" Threaded Barrel in 22 Long Rifle with the following upgrades ...

+ Diversified Innovative Products bottom metal / trigger guard
+ Diversified Innovative Products aluminum magazine base plate
+ Diversified Innovative Products trigger shoe
+ Custom cheek riser
+ Diversified Innovative Products extended scope base
+ Leupold VX Freedom 6-18x40mm CDS Side Focus scope
+ Warne 30mm steel rings
+ Harris BR bipod

I would have preferred for the scope to sit closer to the bore axis, but as a 50 yard 22LR I'm not worried about it (and have a cheek riser to address the scope height).

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043515 02/07/20 05:13 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice...bet that shoots awesome...

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: RN] #1043516 02/07/20 07:00 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by RN
Nice...bet that shoots awesome...

I haven't had a chance to test it out. I just received the scope and rings this week (the final pieces of my rimfire bolt action puzzle). CZ 452/455 are known for being good shooters so I have very high hopes.

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043520 02/07/20 08:56 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Man that is Purdy Gary.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043783 02/12/20 12:50 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks. If you like that you will probably like this too ....

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043784 02/12/20 12:51 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Tactical Solutions X-Ring Vantage

Re: Accuracy & Precision Shooting Discussion Thread [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1043785 02/12/20 12:51 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
This is another gun that I would have liked to of mounted the optic lower, but these are Warne's lowest 30MM rings, and the adjustment ring is really close to the receiver.

Last edited by Endeavour Morse; 02/12/20 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4