Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: New Wilson Combat Vickers Elite ... TONS O' PICS [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044567 03/04/20 10:23 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
My friend won a DVC staccato P last year. 600rds in and 2 malfunctions could have been his reloads. I’m kinda shocked as I’ve seen so many STIs have issues and need tuning right from the factory. I’ve wonder if the triarc systems 2011s are any better. While I’d like a 2011 I’m not sold on them as a duty type gun yet. although I’m hearing good stuff about chambers customs.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: New Wilson Combat Vickers Elite ... TONS O' PICS [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044571 03/04/20 11:36 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I’ve never owned a STI, but generally view them as range or race only quality. This is based solely on 36 years of experience with other 1911s and a pretty vested interest in the design. Notably, how other people with proven 1911s view STI has caused me to turn down some pretty attractively priced guns.

1911s are not AR15s. To build a duty or combat grade 1911 requires a very high level of technical sophistication and experience.

I don’t think STI is there.

If I had to use a 1911 in combat it would be a Wilson.

I would trust a Baer for civilian CCW.

I’m trying to develop a trust for Nighthawk but not there yet.

I would not trust a Dan Wesson or Ed Brown.

Colts, Springfields, etc are range only.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: New Wilson Combat Vickers Elite ... TONS O' PICS [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044575 03/05/20 07:29 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I remember a guy on here having all sorts of issues with the EB 1911 he had built and then EB had the nerve to say he needed to buy these parts to fix it.

I’m seeing a lot of interest in the 2011 coming from LE and retired military that are now firearms instructors. STI has changed their name to Staccato I believe and is chasing the LEO market heavily taking on a lot of LE and military trainers as pro staff. To me this is absolutely stupid. STI guns are not and a seriously doubt will ever be a duty level gun. I understand that they are easier to shoot accurately than a Glock or similar weapon and when your doing demos it’s important you can demonstrate skill to the class to back up your instruction but to pass them off as a duty grade gun I think is morally wrong. I’ve seen so many 2011 problems in 6 years of competition shooting that I wouldn’t use one for duty even if it was built by some of the top builders like atlas, chambers, and the likes.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: New Wilson Combat Vickers Elite ... TONS O' PICS [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044581 03/05/20 01:43 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
That Ed Brown experience soured me on that company for life. It was an Executive Elite 2 (one of the higher tier models).

Personally, I don't think 1911s are a good choice for Law Enforcement short of very well (and frequently) trained Special Weapons officers with a team armorer to maintain the weapons.

Starting a new thread regarding carry guns ...

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: New Wilson Combat Vickers Elite ... TONS O' PICS [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044589 03/05/20 04:16 PM
SkunkHunter Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I agree with you 100 percent Gary. the 1911 is NOT a novice weapon, even in 9mm. That being said I still think that it is the premier weapon for folks (LE, Military or Civilian) that have trained and are used to that particular platform. Personally I DO like the 1911 as it is my favorite pistol. BUT, recently I have started carrying my Sig more as it is virtually a point and shoot, specially with the Express Sight Systems Big Dog 24/7 sights. Fastest sighting system I have ever used, even more so than a red dot, at least to me.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: New Wilson Combat Vickers Elite ... TONS O' PICS [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1044625 03/05/20 09:27 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
The 1911 is my personal favorite as well. As with any tool, you probably need more than one type to accomplish more than one task.

My first handgun was a 1911 and my last will be a 1911. However, I do see the design's limitations as viewed through the lens of the modern era plastic framed options.

I've personally experienced A LOT of problems with Glocks, but feel once worked out the guns are like AK47s. That is to say, the reliability is over hyped (in part because the design was developed with conscript level individuals in mind). What do I mean by conscript level individuals? When comparing the engineering of a Glock or AK to the engineering of a Sig Sauer or AR there is very little comparison.

There is a place for quality plastic guns (which to me includes Glock and HK with HK being FAR SUPERIOR to Glock). I will also give a nod to S&W M&P Shields as being an affordable while reliable very compact carry gun.

There is a place for quality all steel and precisely machined firearms (which to me includes 1911s, Browning High Powers and Sig P210s). I will also give a nod to the CZ75.

There is a place for quality aluminum framed / steel slide firearms (which to me includes Beretta 92 series and Sig P220/225/226/228/229).

In my experience if you chose:

1911: Les Baer, Wilson Combat (and likely Nighthawk, Guncrafter, Alchemy)
HK: USP, P30, P2000, HK45, HK45C
Glock: 17, 19
Beretta: 92FS, 92 Compact, M9, M9A1, M9A1 Compact, M9A3, 92 LTT, 92X, 92X Compact
Sig Sauer: P220, P225, P226, P228, P229

...you'll be well armed.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5