S
ScrapSquatch Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
S
Let's hear it.

Cinically Certified SYKCO
Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1045980 04/01/20 08:13 PM
M
Massive Metal Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M

I've lost folders everywhere

Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1045984 04/01/20 09:18 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I lost my war dog in a field!

A few years back I lost my then-favorite knife while hunting deer during the summer in a field overgrown with weeds and brush. The blade popped right out of my sheath off my hunting bag (strapped to the MOLLE straps of a Maxped Fatboy).Only noticed after I shot two deer and reached down to butcher them frown Thankfully, I had a backup knife.

I searched the roughly 25 acres I had traversed of a 200 acre field for hours. Brought my kids back with machetes and a metal detector, and got nothing but soaked to the bone after getting caught in a summer downpour. Searched the field that fall after the brush was cut for hours after every hunt. I always have the field a passover after every hunt in the years that followed until the farmer was forced to sell this past year. Never found it. Did make some good memories with the kids, though.

Those were the two most expensive deer I've ever shot. Made me all the more upset since I'd recently paid something like $45-50 for the sheath that let go of the knife.

That was, at the time, the only piece of INFI I owned. A kind Dog here later donated an INFI Game Warden to my son for his first deer.

That blade has served my kids well though many deer since and holds a special place in the knife drawer until such a time as my oldest has moved out and is settled in his own place to use with his own kids.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1045989 04/01/20 09:44 PM
Dumpster Dan Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by ScrapSquatch
Let's hear it.

I lost and then found my Scrapper 6. Real dumb I stuck it in the ground in a woods to mark a trail of a deer I was tracking. Found the deer 150 yards later....dragged the deer out and only remembered the knife after I drove home 3 hours latter. Good news...I went back a week later and it was right where I left it. A very senior moment in my 50's...I was just excited...only excuse I can find LOL

By the way we had a customer who lost his knife/knives 4 times in less than 12 months...see I wasnt to bad smile

Dan

Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1045991 04/01/20 10:42 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Another time, I had both both my sons Gerber Freeman S30V knives with stag handles. My oldest and I were tracking a deer through the heavy underbrush on a property that's situated more or less on the side of a mountain, running down to a stream. There are about 10 acres of the densest Mid-Atlantic undergrowth you've ever seen and after searching for an hour for a deer one of us shot at, we bagged it and went home.

After we got home, my son, then about 12, realized his hunting bag had been open the entire time and his knife was gone. I figured that blade was gone forever. Shame, too, since it was a beautiful knife. I told him we could go look for it the next morning before church.

We got out to the woods and had about two hours to find the knife. We started on some of the bigger game trails. After about a half hour, I called him over and said "This is hopeless. You and I will never find this knife--the vegetation is too dense, and the knife looks exactly like the forest floor. However, GOD knows exactly where it is. If it's wisdom in Him, He can show us exactly where it is." I asked my son to say a prayer and then I said one as well, asking God to direct us to where the knife was.

After praying, I suggested he look where he felt he should look and I'd do the same. I went down a barely visible game trail, thick with vegetation and leaves. I took that trail to another, to another, to another, not having a clue where I was or where I was going.

Suddenly, I felt I should stop. I did and looked down, and there at my feet was my son's knife, sheath and all. I called my son over, we offered a prayer of gratitude, and went home to get ready for church.

That has served as a great lesson for my son, me, and the rest of our family. Certainly this knife want important to God's work managing the affairs of the universe. However, a little boy was sad and anxious, and HE was important to God.

God may be the Creator who holds all things in balance, but He is never so busy or so far removed that he doesn't have time to worry about each of us and the things that concern us. He is just as concerned with you and I as he was with helping his 12 year old child find his hunting knife.

I actually have the knife in our family room table. We were discussing this story Sunday during our home services smile Couldn't figure out a way to post a pic though...

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1045997 04/02/20 12:02 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I believe the only knife I ever lost was a Buck Solitaire ? folder.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1046002 04/02/20 02:21 AM
S
ScrapSquatch Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
S
I was using a Rodent Rucki (Black Blade Green Canvas) to clear some tall grasses around a fence that I was repairing. After the weeds were cleared I stuck it in the ground, turned, and walked 15 feet away to the truck to get a drill and screws. Walking back I could not find the sword. I swear I was standing there for 3 minutes with a dumb look on my face before my friend found it.

Since then anything I plan on using in the woods or for hiking is bright orange. I have really learned to love Blaze Orange.

Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1046004 04/02/20 07:43 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You shouldn't stick blades in the ground.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: ScrapSquatch] #1046009 04/03/20 12:56 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Always found mine. But I now DO NOT leave them laying. They ALWAYS go back in my pocket or in the sheath.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: SkunkHunter] #1046013 04/03/20 02:27 AM
S
ScrapSquatch Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
S
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Always found mine. But I now DO NOT leave them laying. They ALWAYS go back in my pocket or in the sheath.

Good rule of thumb.

Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: Private Klink] #1046014 04/03/20 02:28 AM
S
ScrapSquatch Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
S
Originally Posted by Private Klink

Definatly correct, but you know... I'm lazy and stuff.

Re: Have You Ever Lost a Knife in The Woods? [Re: Private Klink] #1046016 04/03/20 10:09 AM
Dumpster Dan Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Private Klink

Yea No kidding...who does that !!!

Maybe Squatch should get one of those retractable dog leads and attach it to the knife LOL

Dan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4