header

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1049371 - 06/02/17 11:23 AM Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have!
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Earth
I'm not a long range shooter, but I've been wanting an accurate semi-auto "multi purpose" rifle for a while (at least the last twelve months). I'm thinking of some sort of AR capable of MOA (max) 3/4 MOA (preferred) 1/2 MOA (awesome!) accuracy.

What do you all have for this purpose? Post some pictures!

Also...I'd like to see your optic choices.

Ole Jack says to downshift to simple livin'.

#1049373 - 06/02/17 04:04 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
MonkeyBomb Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
My long range shooter is a little different than most. Not necessarily your criteria since its a bolt gun but it is a long range beast.

I Bought a Remington 700 LTR DM PSS a bit over 20 years ago. I got a package and it nearly mirrored the M-24 stock system minus a few features.

It came in a .308 Win on the 700 series short-action receiver with a 20-inch fluted barrel. With the HS Precision stock, it weighs in at 7.5 pounds.

Badger Ordnance steel rings and one-piece mounts and a Leupold Mark III with a 30mm tube and 3.5X to 10X power magnification. (at least I think it's a Mark 3) It also sports a rototilt bipod and a healthy quick adjust sling bumps the weight up to right around 10.5lbs.

Mine also has a detachable box magazine. Between the shorter fluted barrel and the box magazine, it makes it an odd duck for a precision rifle.

I have a fitted pelican case for the rifle and a Dewy rod.

This thing absolutely rocks as a system and I have changed almost nothing since I bought it. It is freakishly accurate and the shorter barrel doesn't hamper it in any way. It makes it a little handier when not shooting from a braced or rest.

This is a stock photo, not mine but its close enough minus the detachable mag and bipod.

JYD #113 Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1049374 - 06/02/17 09:06 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Sydney Australia

Steyr SSG69, it sits in a MacMillian stock and since that pic was taken it has new bottom metal work and a Leupold 6.5-20 MkIV.

All that said I add a bipod to my Sako AII .308 and I will be ruining most critter's day (not matter what kind) well out beyond normal ranges when I do MY part.

Edited by Andy the Aussie (06/02/17 09:32 PM)

#1049377 - 06/03/17 03:34 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
SkunkHunter Online   happy
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: The Show me State
I USED to have a Remington 700 VLS 308. According to the custom shop it is EXACTLY like the (Then at least) "Police" package rifle except it was a laminated stock, not synthetic. Using surplus Argentine (I think) ammo and not trying I got 1 MOA at 100 meters. With better ammo and actually trying for small groups I am VERY satisfied that it would have done a lot better. Oh and I had a Tasco "Sniper" scope on it.
is (almost) always in. smile wink JYD#105

#1049386 - 06/03/17 05:56 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

MB & Andy,
NICE rifles!

I've owned a couple of LR bolt guns (700 PSS, 700 AAC in a HS Precision Stock, 700 Sendero in 300WM, etc). Ultimately, I didn't have the patience to capitalize on these rifles.

#1049387 - 06/03/17 06:02 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Here's my current "accuracy based" AR....

Here are the specs:

BCM Upper
BCM BCG & Gunfighter Ambi Charging Handle
Noveske 16" Stainless Recon Barrel (1/7 PT with Noveske's NMm0 chambering)
Geissele SMR Mk8 13" Free Float
Troy (front / rear) Sights

BCM Lower
LaRue MBT Trigger
LMT SOPMOD Gen 2 Stock
BCM Gunfighter Grip

Trijicon ACOG TA31
LaRue LT622 SDO-A Mount

A couple of upgrades I'd consider would be:

4-12x Optic
Geissele SSA-E Trigger

#1049389 - 06/03/17 10:57 PM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
MonkeyBomb Online   content
Junk Yard Dog

Loc: Nation Wide
I have an accurate AR I just don't consider it long range. 223/5.56. I have never messed with it beyond 300 but I know I could probably put a few out there to 500 with it.

A Franken build from Colt and BCM parts on a Spikes lower that I had laying around. I'm actually pretty proud of the build. I already had the barrel and bolt group. Everything else cost me less than $175 bucks. Not counting the optics. But I paid 1/2 price for that too. I was a very nice sub MOA budget build with quality parts.

JYD #113 Everyday I don't train, someone else does, and they are training to defeat me

#1049396 - 06/04/17 09:19 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

MB & Andy
What are your Bolt Gun cleaning regimens, and do you keep a log book?

#1049397 - 06/04/17 09:21 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: Architect]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

My interest in actual LR precision is growing. My range includes 400 and 500 yard bays. I wouldn't be interested in shooting further than 500 ... just don't think my eyesight / desire would permit it.

This has me thinking of a potential BA.

#1049398 - 06/04/17 09:22 AM Re: Accuracy Based Rifles...lets see what you have! [Re: SkunkHunter]
Architect Offline
Junk Yard Dog

Originally Posted By: SkunkHunter
I USED to have a Remington 700 VLS 308. According to the custom shop it is EXACTLY like the (Then at least) "Police" package rifle except it was a laminated stock, not synthetic. Using surplus Argentine (I think) ammo and not trying I got 1 MOA at 100 meters. With better ammo and actually trying for small groups I am VERY satisfied that it would have done a lot better. Oh and I had a Tasco "Sniper" scope on it.

Randy,
What is the longest range at which you've tested it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >