Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049403 10/27/20 07:41 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Lazi, if you ever want to dump that 30-30 let me know smile I have a Marlin 30-30 XLR and it's one of my favorite rifles. I have a 16" Mossberg 30-30 that needs some love, but it will need to wait till I have time to find a load with a fast burning powder so I don't get blinded by the flash in broad daylight.

I've always sorta kicked myself for going with that Mossberg instead of a 336. 16" is just a bit short for a 30-30, though it's handy in a tree stand...

Also have a Marlin LTD Edition 45-70 that I regularly use. One of 500 made. Just saw one still in box go for $5700 and thought "Why the heck am I hunting with this????"

Then there's the Rossi 45LC in stainless with a cherry stock. Live the look, though I've yet to hunt with it.

And the Marlin 44Mag ... That one I really like. Shoot a deer at 20 yards (if that). I saw the hole open up through the sites. Tracked that deer for over 100 yards despite a double lung hit. I wasn't that impressed from a "deer stopping" perspective (though I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one again inside 50 yards), but that and the 45LC would make fantastic defense/truck guns. Something like 10 rounds for in the full-barrel-length mag. A 357 would also make for a fantastic rifle.

...and if course the 45-70 Cowboy 24" octagon barrel that I've loaned indefinitely to my dad...I couldn't bear to scope it, and he shoots cowboy action, so it seemed a natural fit smile

...and the Henry 22lr...

I DO wish I had a 357....and a few others.

Last edited by DogTired; 10/27/20 07:50 PM.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049407 10/27/20 10:56 PM
MonkeyBomb Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I'm getting the itch for another lever gun. I'm thinking an older 336 in 30/30. I want to build a nice little truck gun. I have one of the original Guide Guns in 45/70 and I love that thing. But it's not a truck gun. I have WWG ghostring sights and a WWG Happy trigger in it. It's ported and is one heck of a quick brush gun.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049469 10/28/20 10:01 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice MB, I am jealous! I think one of these days, after my MSR addiction subsides, I'll pick up another 30-30.

Interestingly, I have an old Stevens bolt action 30-30. It's short and quick and lighter than a lever gun. Interesting little gun.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049482 10/28/20 11:15 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have an old Stevens bolt action 30-30 as well.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049485 10/28/20 11:52 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have a bolt action 410 with a mag tube like a 22.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049548 10/31/20 02:56 AM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Lazi, if you ever want to dump that 30-30 let me know smile

I think I really need to shoot it and see if I like it. Plus I'm also seeing all the new "tactical" lever gun stuff and it's calling to my inner Bubba. And seeing how it's my only lever gun... And, and... Give me a little bit and I'll come up with a few more reasons to keep it lol...

I will let know if I decide to let it go.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049555 10/31/20 12:19 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
The only 30-30 I have is a Thompson Center Contender single shot pistol. I used Spire point bullets in it which you shouldn’t use in a tube magazine of course but it shot very well up to 200 yards.

JYD #182
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049590 11/03/20 07:00 AM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
My Ruger PC9 had run like a champ...for the first 600-800 rounds. Then a couple stove pipes...then one after another. I had run it prett dirty, cleaned it with only a smidge of improvement. Poked round on the interwebs and read the extractor could be the culprit. Ordered an aftermarket one, dropped it in...back to perfect function. What a relief...it's a lot of fun and the rifle for the better half. It needs to run!

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049648 11/06/20 04:30 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Had a fun and interesting range day today. Was able to get to the new club that has a range for in close rifle practice. Even though I dry fire practice with and shoot more with my higher quality AR and aimpoint pro....my older MP Sport with a Holosun 510c was quicker and gave me tighter groups. That donut of death is fast...and has me rethinking my optics! So much fun being able to transition from rifle to pistol and back...

My other range has a better pistol pit for practice, but can only shoot pcc's there.

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: lazi] #1049811 11/16/20 10:58 AM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by lazi
Lazi, if you ever want to dump that 30-30 let me know smile

I think I really need to shoot it and see if I like it. Plus I'm also seeing all the new "tactical" lever gun stuff and it's calling to my inner Bubba. And seeing how it's my only lever gun... And, and... Give me a little bit and I'll come up with a few more reasons to keep it lol...

I will let know if I decide to let it go.

Haha! Yeah, I've learned I can't talk myself into owning just about any firearm on the planet. They all fit a niche of some sort grin

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1049813 11/16/20 11:55 AM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
My tirade against Remington CLP over in Randy's thread on cleaning the gunk off of new knives for me riled up against Remington in general. I figure this is a better place for most of that tangent....

I've gradually become disenfranchised/ disillusioned with Remington. About 4 years ago I picked up an older Remington 700 in 25-05 for $400 (I forget the exact model, but it was a nicer one). It has a beautifully figured walnut stock and a jeweled bolt. I believe it's a 1970s or 80s make. Whenever it was made, it is a fine gun. Sub MOA accuracy and easy on the eyes. It would be one of the last guns is get rid of.

I also own a 783 in 6.5 CM that I picked up for about $250 (taxes included) when DSG decided it hated guns. When you count the $50 rebate and $30 I got for the scope, it was only $170 . One of the fuglier guns I own, but it's a solid design--WAAAAAAY over-built receiver, and it owes it's accuracy to the floating bolt design Remington stole from Savage. For $170 I couldn't say no.

Unfortunately, that's about all the positive I have to say about Remington these days. Over in the knives forum I posted how Remington CLP destroyed a friend's gun. Apparently, if you're unlucky enough to buy a can of CLP from the bottom of the storage container, you might as well spray your gun with battery acid, or slather your stock in 100% DEET. Remington knows about the problem, but doesn't really care. Not their problem. They put a disclaimer on their bottle in fine print somewhere.

If your guns melt from using their product, its your fault for trusting Remington. They tried to warn you.

This seems to fit the pattern I've seen over the past several years with Remington. QC has dropped. Pride in their product is non-existent. They seem to feel they can coast on their reputation and brand loyalty without having to prove they are worthy of it any longer. Problems come to light, but as long as they can be papered over, there's no need to fix them.

How many recalls have they had over the past decade or so? I seen to recall all sorts of issues with the 770s and their adjustable triggers, among others. How many known problems are there that Remington doesn't want to deal with?

Why is it that most serious shooters who drop the coin for a 700 know they are going to have to pay a smith another few hundred bucks to true the bolt in order to get an accurate gun? If we're dropping $600-1k on a rifle, why do we accept that we need to pay even more money to make it shoot straight? Why isn't that taken care of before it leaves the factory? It's especially galling when you can spend less than $300 on a Savage Axis, or $350-450 for Remington's 783 budget line and have guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy out of the box.

On a more personal note, I got a Remington pocket pistol in 380 a couple years back. It was $100 after rebate. How could I say no? I'm a sucker for an amazing deal The problem with it is the takedown pin that holds the rail in place.

Most guns require you to line up the takedown pin with a notch in the slide, then rotate the pin to disengage it from a mechanically locked position before you can remove it. Even then, it requires some force to take that pin out.

The Remington? Not so much. A thin, smooth pin that looks like someone clipped a piece from a coat hanger is all that stands between you and weapon failure All I need to do is slightly cant the gun when racking the slide and the takedown pin starts to slide out of the frame, jamming the gun and rendering it useless. The pin literally fell out and onto the floor once as I was racking the slide.

The gun was designed to fail! ANYONE who shot that gun during ANY phase of testing would have been aware. I'm positive the engineers must have known this was a problem. Why any company would put that on the market that way is completely beyond my capacity to understand. It is the absolute CHEAPEST way you could design and manufacture a takedown pin, and THE WORST design on this simple yet CRITICAL part I have ever seen!

I understand cost savings, but this is a gun designed to be your last line of defense. I can't trust that this gun won't malfunction the second I pull the trigger. If the gun can jam trying to rack the slide, will that pin potentially fall out enough to jam if I accidentally hold the gun at an angle while shooting, or if I need to swap mags?

Remington is really losing it. No clue who the CEO is these days, but it's clearly not someone who enjoys firearms, or even understands them. When a company is willing to compromise not only on materials, but on safety and reliability, I'm not so sure I want to keep supporting it.

Business is a two-way street. Dan and Jerry get that. That's why we have this forum. We like Bussekin both because the products are great, and because they treat their customers well.

-- If there's a problem, they fix it.

-- They have, over the years, implemented manufacturing changes that have reduced their costs, but their products haven't declined in quality as a result.

-- They are responsive to their customers.

-- I can't see Dan knowingly sell a batch of knives with defective Res-C handles because they were made with material from the bottom of the vat. If, somehow, defective materials made it out the door, they fix the problem.

And so on...

In short (he said ironically), I'm no longer a fan of Remington. Unless there's a stupid crazy deal (like the ones I got above), I'll look to other manufactures first for my firearm and firearm accessories needs (he said channeling Hank Hill).

Now, back to your originally scheduled day. grin

Last edited by DogTired; 11/16/20 11:56 AM.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Page 249 of 271 1 2 247 248 249 250 251 270 271