Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
To the Veterans #1058853 05/26/22 04:26 PM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I know that Memorial day is coming up in the USA.

I thought that I would share a few thoughts.
I am not a veteran, or an American for that matter.

My two best friends are veterans, one being a proud member of the Canadian infantry and the other being a proud US Marine.
I am also fortunate enough to call the members of this forum who are veterans friends.

It doesn't matter if you served in active combat or not, each one of you wrote a blank cheque to you government, that was payable at any time.
That is the definition of honour.
For those of you that served in active combat, I can't imagine what you faced on a daily basis.

I thank each and every one of you for your defense of our Western Values and democracies.
If a lesson needed to be learned (it shouldn't) the Ukraine shows why you are important.

Now for my rant
By and large the governments of our countries, have utterly failed our veterans after they have left the service
In the USA from 2001 to 2019 - 6,261 veterans committed suicide with an average of 17.2 committing suicide everyday in 2019

In the last 2 years 36 Canadian veterans committed suicide (almost twice the national average for suicide rates)

You can look at the UK, Australia, or the other western countries and you will see similar rates.

In 2021 8% (19,750) of the homeless in the USA were veterans, in Canada we are a little better at 4.4%.

I urge everyone on this site to advocate for increased funding for mental health
Lets put meaningful programs into place that will help veterans return to a successful civilian life.

Don't be silent on these issues, if they don't affect you personally, it is almost certain that you know someone that is.

While you enjoy yourselves this Memorial Day weekend, please remember to reflect on the meaning of the day.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: To the Veterans [Re: coyotebc] #1058855 05/26/22 09:06 PM
Twoody88 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great post ! Respects to the vets !!

TNTwoody88
JYD #197
Re: To the Veterans [Re: coyotebc] #1058858 05/26/22 10:44 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thank you Bill. As you probably know from our past hours “talking” this post from you does not surprise me. As I’ve stated before you are a very “patriotic” person! More so than most folks I know (not counting the dogs here). You never forget ALL those from any country who served.

Having never met I, once again, because of our night long chats (again over many many nights) consider you not someone from another country with similar ideas/thoughts, but as a “Brother in arms” even though you haven’t served in a military.

If for no other reason than that, I salute you as one of us. As Tom would say Semper Fi frater meus.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: To the Veterans [Re: SkunkHunter] #1058859 05/27/22 01:57 AM
coyotebc Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Thank you Bill. As you probably know from our past hours “talking” this post from you does not surprise me. As I’ve stated before you are a very “patriotic” person! More so than most folks I know (not counting the dogs here). You never forget ALL those from any country who served.

Having never met I, once again, because of our night long chats (again over many many nights) consider you not someone from another country with similar ideas/thoughts, but as a “Brother in arms” even though you haven’t served in a military.

If for no other reason than that, I salute you as one of us. As Tom would say Semper Fi frater meus.

I can't think of a greater honour

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: To the Veterans [Re: coyotebc] #1058862 05/27/22 05:21 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thank you Bill, and Semper Fi. wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: To the Veterans [Re: coyotebc] #1058868 05/27/22 10:21 AM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thank you Bill.

JYD #182
Re: To the Veterans [Re: coyotebc] #1058894 05/29/22 06:31 AM
Dumpster Dan Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nicely stated!

As my Mom would say... It caused me to get Duck Bumps

When TAPs is played this Memorial Day, I will give my best civilian salute to show the honor I have in my heart.

All my best

Dan