Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 184 of 383 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 382 383
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: tonester] #210180 07/12/10 12:00 AM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
ok so heres a little review on the Umnumzaan. ive been carrying it for only a couple days now. first thing that i want to mention about it... the thumb stud is super comfy, way more than the Sebbie. the ergo's on the handle are great, fits the hand very nice. the engraving or etching in the Ti scales are actually very grippy. for me the Umnum is a little on the big side, i prefer the size of the small Sebbie. its a little heavier in the pocket too. i love the blade shape, perfect for edc. if the Sebbie wasnt for you, i would say if you have the chance, give the Umnumzaan a try.

[Linked Image from farm5.static.flickr.com]

Nice Tony,thanks for the pics & info.I still don't know which one I want though.

SYKCO JYD#112
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #210181 07/12/10 12:02 AM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Looking good there

No kidding. It's like a Swiss watch in it's precision workmanship. I got an Al Mar SERE Auto recently.

[Linked Image from i173.photobucket.com]
Nice Al Mar HD.

SYKCO JYD#112
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: tonester] #210182 07/14/10 06:19 PM
Toast Offline
Scrapper
Scrapper
Sorry for the delay in replies (stupid health).

Here are some pics of my JYD II CB/Ti. These are parts from two 'Blems' from Kershaw. The blade spine is Sandvik 14c28n and the edge is CPM-D2 (I am really liking this stuff). The handles are Titanium and there is a nicely fitted solid G10 backspacer. The jimping on the scales is the best I have felt, it is sharp without being overly abrasive and really locks my fingers into the handle. Overall this design reminds me a lot of the Ratwieler.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

It took some time to remove the SG2 laminated blade from the titanium frame. The pivot pin was unbelievably tightly fitting though it opened just as smoothly as the G10 CB version. With the non-locking slab removed it still felt as tight as a fixed blade. At first when I replaced the blade the new setup would not open smoothly and the blade was not centered and was scrapping the scale. I removed the blade and bent the frame lock slightly. It now opens smoothly, though not as effortlessly as either of the originals. The blade is not centered but is not scraping. When the knife is opened in a regular manner it locks up tightly and has no play. When it is gently opened there seems to not be enough purchase between the lock face and the tang and I can fold it by applying significant pressure.

A normal opening / wrist flick using the index opener lets the lock face sit about 1/4 to 1/3 across the tang and seems tight. I am thinking about polishing the tang but am not sure if I want to mess with it more at this moment. The screw heads are starting to protest. The G10 handles and SG2 version is also un-centered and the liner sets deeply enough I would not be pleased buying it that way. It opens smoothly and quickly and is, I think, the sharpest knife blade I have yet felt. I am undecided if I will keep the new combos or swap them back. I dislike liner-locks enough that the JYD II CB was my only one. I really like the look of the flat ground CB and the titanium scales and I am really enjoying CPM-D2.

Last edited by Toast; 07/14/10 06:37 PM.

Getting my Zombie kit ready and watching out for those Corpse Men!!!
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Toast] #210183 07/14/10 08:02 PM
james_bond Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
do want auto almar

JYD #25 Clinging to my Guns, Religion, and Scrapyards.
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Toast] #210184 07/15/10 12:12 AM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Sorry for the delay in replies (stupid health).

Here are some pics of my JYD II CB/Ti. These are parts from two 'Blems' from Kershaw. The blade spine is Sandvik 14c28n and the edge is CPM-D2 (I am really liking this stuff). The handles are Titanium and there is a nicely fitted solid G10 backspacer. The jimping on the scales is the best I have felt, it is sharp without being overly abrasive and really locks my fingers into the handle. Overall this design reminds me a lot of the Ratwieler.

It took some time to remove the SG2 laminated blade from the titanium frame. The pivot pin was unbelievably tightly fitting though it opened just as smoothly as the G10 CB version. With the non-locking slab removed it still felt as tight as a fixed blade. At first when I replaced the blade the new setup would not open smoothly and the blade was not centered and was scrapping the scale. I removed the blade and bent the frame lock slightly. It now opens smoothly, though not as effortlessly as either of the originals. The blade is not centered but is not scraping. When the knife is opened in a regular manner it locks up tightly and has no play. When it is gently opened there seems to not be enough purchase between the lock face and the tang and I can fold it by applying significant pressure.

A normal opening / wrist flick using the index opener lets the lock face sit about 1/4 to 1/3 across the tang and seems tight. I am thinking about polishing the tang but am not sure if I want to mess with it more at this moment. The screw heads are starting to protest. The G10 handles and SG2 version is also un-centered and the liner sets deeply enough I would not be pleased buying it that way. It opens smoothly and quickly and is, I think, the sharpest knife blade I have yet felt. I am undecided if I will keep the new combos or swap them back. I dislike liner-locks enough that the JYD II CB was my only one. I really like the look of the flat ground CB and the titanium scales and I am really enjoying CPM-D2.
Good looking knife toast.I like the composite blades.
I saw a composite fixed blade that kershaw made for Snapon's anniversary,& the junction where the 2 steels were soldered was shaped like an open end wrench.

SYKCO JYD#112
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: myketheknife] #210185 07/15/10 02:01 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Kershaw has really impressed me lately. I have an ordinary JYD knife, but I do have one Kershaw with the composite blade. It's the Tyrade, a large, heavy duty knife. It's nearly as beefy as my ZT 0300 and Benchmade Skirmish framelocks.

You can see that the liner lock is nearly as thick as these framelocks. The Tyrade is actually heavier than the Skirmish. The Tyrade is assisted opening like the ZT.

I don't carry these heavy knives, but carry my Rat Trap or Voyagers mostly.

Horned, dangerous, and off my medication.
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #210186 07/15/10 02:05 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I got on an orange kick a while back. Here are my Orange folders.

The Doug Ritter is easily the most pocket friendly as it only weighs about 3 oz. I like the AXIS lock. This version of the Griptilian has S30V steel.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #210187 07/15/10 02:10 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Since they are legal to carry in my State (we now have sensible knife laws), I have been on an auto kick. They all seem overpriced and aren't really any faster than a good assisted opener or even some manually opened knives.

But they do have a certain "cool" factor, I guess. The Infidel is a fun OTF to play with, but way overpriced, IMO.

Last edited by Horn Dog; 07/15/10 02:13 PM.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #210188 07/15/10 03:34 PM
thunderbird Offline
Mutt
Mutt
I have several benchmade autos, and liked them all. Really good construction, and seemed to last a long time.

Just got a ZT-300 with the partially serrated blade. Initial impression is good. We'll have to see how it holds up. I like big folders, so the ZT really fits my style well.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: thunderbird] #210189 07/15/10 04:35 PM
Horn Dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have several benchmade autos, and liked them all. Really good construction, and seemed to last a long time.

Just got a ZT-300 with the partially serrated blade. Initial impression is good. We'll have to see how it holds up. I like big folders, so the ZT really fits my style well.

I think the ZT might be the most rugged folder I have ever seen. As for Benchmades, my favorite is the DejaVu, but I like all of them I own. Benchmade made my Al Mar and HK Automatics, too.

Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #210190 07/15/10 10:09 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I had no idea the ZT Folder was that thick. I've been eyeballing one for a while, couldn't bring myself to spend 300$ on a folding knife though, figured it'd be skinny. If I could fit my foot in my mouth though...

Of Course, now I can't validate buying that because I have my Mud Puppy, and It's amazing for EDC. I improvised a sheath until I can get some Kydex pants on it. I used the belt sheath for a Mini-mag light, works great

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: A discussion (hopefully) of your favorite fold [Re: Horn Dog] #210191 07/16/10 05:48 PM
Toast Offline
Scrapper
Scrapper

The biggest place I look for on the 'liner' vs frame lock on the JYD II and the Tyrade is the cutout on the frame lock where the metal bends into the blade channel. It seems there is more metal on these two, backed up by strong G10, then I have seen on many or even most frame locks. Looking at my two JYD IIs it does seem the titanium in the cutout is thicker though. I do wonder which would ultimately be stronger.

Is that the full sized skirmish or the mini?

Getting my Zombie kit ready and watching out for those Corpse Men!!!
Page 184 of 383 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 382 383