Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ruger Vaquero, Bisley Blackhawk, Bisley Single Six [Re: ColtMan] #360023 08/07/09 08:40 PM
sumoj275 Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Coltman, I have played with an Evil Roy and it is nice. My favorite revolver in SAA is my USFA blackpowder frame and cylinder, 7 1/2" brl, Doug Turnbull cch and blueing, ivory grips, tuned action. That revolver is like shooting a piece from Heaven!

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust
Re: Ruger Vaquero, Bisley Blackhawk, Bisley Single Six [Re: sumoj275] #360024 08/07/09 09:07 PM
C
ColtMan Offline
Mutt
Mutt
C
sumoj275,

The USFA guns are in a class by themselves. Probably better quality then Colt SAA's. I don't own any USFA firearms and I have never shot one but I have seen and drooled on them at gun shows.

Is your USFA part custom ? I ask because you mentioned Doug Turnbull God father of Colt restorations or did Doug team up with USFA on a gun ?

Side note: I really like that USFA snub nose.

The pride & joy of my Colt collection is a pair of sequentially numbered 2nd Generation Colts 4 3/4 inch barrell in nickel finish but I am too chicken to shoot them, they are just too pretty and pieces of art

AA is for quitters
Re: Ruger Vaquero, Bisley Blackhawk, Bisley Single Six [Re: ColtMan] #360025 08/09/09 05:50 AM
sumoj275 Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Nice set of 2nd Gens. Yes, this is one of the USFA that Turnbull did. I lucked into it as the original owner died, his widow sold it to a gun shop, and the shop had just put it in the case when I walked in. I got it for a little bit more than what the ivory grips would cost today. The card of the grip maker was in the box and the sales receipt. I wish I could have seen all the other stuff that came out of this guys collection but from what I understand the majority of it ended up in the store owners collection.

My Holy Grail SAA is a first gen, black powder frame, ivory grips 7 1/2" brl, engraved and silver plated. Good thing that most of those are in a museum or in private collections otherwise I would sale the house and get a divorce.

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust
Re: Ruger Vaquero, Bisley Blackhawk, Bisley Single Six [Re: sumoj275] #360026 08/13/09 04:37 PM
B
BillyJoeBobJim Offline
Mutt
Mutt
B
You guys have mentioned some great gunsmiths above.

I have had Hamilton Bowen tune several Ruger single actions for me, and also have three conversions from him. EXCELLENT!

I have two John Linebaugh conversions (.475 & .500) and three from Dustin (.475, .475, .500). EXCELLENT!

Another person not mentioned yet is Gary Reeder. Reeder has received much ridicule from various internet posters. HOWEVER, in all my dealings with him, he has been very kind and helpful. His work has been excellent also. His Trail Rider and Gunfighter gripframes are great. He also has several wildcat cartridges that are smoking hot. (I like the .356 GNR for 100+ yd revolver shooting.)

A Ruger single action (production or conversion) and a Busse Combat, Scrap Yard, or Swamp Rat knife go well together on the belt in the woods.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3