Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sharpening a Yard Hook........... #576281 05/07/11 05:16 PM
sumoj275 Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
What do you use. The one I got needs a serious work over as it is pretty obtrusive and not ready to be used.......I need this to be sharp so when I get released from the cast I can take it on a trail walk.
Thanks

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust
Re: Sharpening a Yard Hook........... [Re: sumoj275] #576282 05/07/11 06:00 PM
stjones Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Jeff, I don't ahve a Yard Hook but I have had a few re curves and still own a kukuri.
I would suggest gettin some different grit sand papers. If it needs serious work look at starting with 100 or something, maybe 220 and work up from there.
If you use a narrow edge (like 1/2" or 1") surface you can sharpen as you would on a stone with a straight edge.
Remember to keep the edge perpendicular with the paper. As the edge curves it needs to be held square to the sharpening surface.
I hope this helps.

JYD #115
Re: Sharpening a Yard Hook........... [Re: stjones] #576283 05/07/11 08:10 PM
myketheknife Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Sand paper on a piece of broomhandle will do.
Some have said an empty paper towel roll too.
Smith's & EZE Lap make oval diamond sharpeners that would be ideal.
Mine is still sharp after all the chopping I did with it last year & only needs touching up on a round ceramic rod.
I have a set of EZE Lap flat paddle type diamond sharpeners that work fine.
They are only 3/4" wide.
Grits from extra fine 1200- extra coarse 150.

SYKCO JYD#112
It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.
Re: Sharpening a Yard Hook........... [Re: myketheknife] #576284 05/07/11 10:08 PM
R
richard j Offline
Pooch
Pooch
R
i have a method for sharpening recurves using a pringles can.

take a pringles can with the bottom cut out and attach some abrasive paper to it. crimp down one side so you have somewhat of a square corner so you can sharpen the plunge line area of the blade. you put your arm through the can with the flat facing the knife for each side. match up the angle by tilting the blade and slowly push the blade away from you while working your way to the tip where you will stop. dont let the tip slide off or you'll round off the tip. switch the can to your other arm and repeat. once you have a burr worked up, go to a strop or ceramic stick to remove the burr.

for some recurves i use my belt sander or my paper wheels. i always finish off any edge with the slotted paper buffing wheel which gives me a razor edge.

paper wheel guru and knife sharpener. pm me if you need a knife sharpened.
Re: Sharpening a Yard Hook........... [Re: richard j] #576285 05/08/11 04:40 AM
sumoj275 Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks guys. I have this Hook and a Ranger NS-9 that are recurves so advice and stratagies are needed LOL.

Right now I have Lansky round diamond rod that I started working on the edge with--seems to be ok but taking forever.

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust