Roadtrip into Wyoming's Flaming Gorge and random #600696 10/22/11 02:32 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not much explanation needed here.

Actually, this one needs some explanation. I took a dirt road off of Highway 530 about 30 miles south west of Rock Springs, WY. I needed to relieve myself and ran into an old man walking a dog as I walked toward some bushes. He told me that just over the hill behind him was the Greater Green River Intergalactic Space Port. Coming from a random man in the middle of the desert, I blew him off and kept walking. I noticed a wind sock and drove the Hummer toward it. Sure enough, there was a landing strip and not much else.

[Linked Image from i1008.photobucket.com]

When I got back home, I googled it. Yes! Here is an excerpt from the wiki article on it.

"On July 5, 1994, Resolution R94-23 of the Green River city council designated this landing field as the "Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport", for inhabitants of Jupiter who might wish to take sanctuary in Green River in the event their planet is threatened by collisions from comets or meteors.[3] Thus far, no spacecraft of any kind have actually used the spaceport, and actual use has been limited to terrestrial aircraft."

You may remember the meteors that slammed into Jupiter in 1994. It was called the largest explosion in our universe in millions of years.

Here is a pretty funny article on the actual renaming process for this landing strip. Intergalactic Debate

The rest of these are from in and around Flaming Gorge.

[Linked Image from i1008.photobucket.com]The Flaming Gorge reservoir

[Linked Image from i1008.photobucket.com]This is Bear Creek. It looks dry, but I almost got stuck. Ended up with a pretty decent coat of mud on the Hummer getting out of here.

Noticed these as I was walking around looking for the driest/hardest part to drive out of there.

That's a size ten boot to give you an idea.

Re: Roadtrip into Wyoming's Flaming Gorge and random [Re: ] #600697 10/22/11 04:19 PM
imaginefj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Those are from cattle.

What do you think of those Danner's? I sold a pair I had for nothing because they squeaked when they got wet. It was like walking with a dog toy.

Join the NRA JYD #69 If a 6 turned out to be 9 Join the NRA
Re: Roadtrip into Wyoming's Flaming Gorge and random [Re: imaginefj] #600698 10/22/11 05:42 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
awesome pics JJ. also a funny story. nice hummer.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Roadtrip into Wyoming's Flaming Gorge and random [Re: imaginefj] #600699 10/23/11 12:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Those are from cattle.

What do you think of those Danner's? I sold a pair I had for nothing because they squeaked when they got wet. It was like walking with a dog toy.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was in shock at the size of them thinking the biggest elk ever had been there. I guess some one's cow got loose.

I like them. Most comfortable uniform boots I own. I have some Bates and a few other brands, but like these the most. I even wear them when not in uniform, obviously.

Last edited by JarheadJournalist; 10/23/11 12:25 AM.