Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: gun dog] #630340 03/12/12 03:41 AM
D
damon Offline
Mutt
Mutt
D
FWIW, I'd do some more research on the significant problems of the serpa holster, esp when there are multiple superior made in USA options.

Second, the issues of the gen4 Glocks are not avoided by buying a new gen3 glock, but rather amplified as Glock in its wisdom is putting those same trouble gen4 parts (extractors primarily) in the new gen3 glocks. if you can find a used gen3 then fine, but if you are buying new, the general consensus is to buy gen 4 (not only for reasons stated above, but also for the fact that as they phase out the gen 3s, the small parts that are not common between the two generations---like the extractors--- will become more and more difficult to find). Furthermore, the issues with the gen 4 were primarily with the 9mm and not the .40....and if this is for females, one: make sure they are ok with the significant "flip" of the .40 over the 9mm and two: the gen4 dual recoil springs will actually help in this regard.

Also, have they actually tried to charge a gen4 and a gen3 and found personally that the gen4 is that much more difficult? I ask because people read a lot and experiment little. I know for myself I can not tell any noticeable difference in charging my gen3 vs my gen 4 glock 19s. Of course, if they have tried then great, go with it. just wanted to make sure that you didn't just throw you money down a path w/o verifying the reasons. Sorry if this comes off harsh, I wrote it up a few minutes ago and then it all got lost prior to posting so I am writing again with a greater sense of urgency and less of a sense of couth. I don't mean to be insulting (if I am coming off that way). Good luck/have fun.

oh and as far as the original question is concerned, I have owned, trijicons, meprolights, and XS big dots. I only buy big-dots for my combat pistols now. Not that they others are bad, just that such is my strong preference. As for lights, I have an x 300 and the streamlight TRL-1. Two things that set the x300 apart are the quick detach (may or may not be an issue) and the fact that it is just a bit thinner. This is more of an issue if you were to mount it at the 12:00 position in front of your front sight on a HD AR as is coming to be rather popular (again, may or may not be an issue). And a BIG +1 to shooting your gun w/ light installed before thinking it will run (both gun and light) just cus the rails mount up.

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: damon] #630341 03/12/12 04:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am glad some clarity has arrived on this thread, Damon.

I do however feel a slight difference in charging my gen 4 .45 compared to my old Gen 3. Is it due to the spring being older/more used in the gen 3? I don't know, but there is a slight difference. No issue for me, but may be for a small/weaker person. I am 5'10" and 145 lbs and have no issues.

I agree with your assessment of the generational factor and the issues within. I have fired the G19 G3 the same day I fired my G21 G4 and neither had issues. However, the owner of the G19 did mention he has had issues in the past and it was the extractor to blame according to him.

I will repeat myself from earlier, my G21 has had zero malfunction with or without an X300 or TLR-1s attached and the first thousands rounds fired did so without a single cleaning.

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: ] #630342 03/12/12 07:28 AM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The issue with the lights is only with the G-22. It is well documented. We run roughly 500 G-22's at any given time. A signifigant amount that ran lights had issues. The same issue was noted within agencies throughout the US with the Gen 3 G-22. Not all will have a problem but it is a definate possability.

It was enough for us to switch to a newer gen three, which still had the same problems and a few more and then a gen 4. The Gen 4's are plagued with problems with the recoil springs and connectors. Bar none the worst batch of triggers I have ever seen. Most were 9-13 LB triggers and they were supposed to be 5.5. It has been a pita. Everu time I go to teach we end up switching parts out before we let them shoot to fix one problem or another. I am a fan of glock. Bu the last gen 3's and 4's are not to the standard I have become acustomed to over the past 20 years.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #630343 03/12/12 03:33 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
well I did handle a gen3 and a gen4 at the same time. and there was a difference in the force needed to rack the slide. I looked and didn't find much bad about the gen3 in till you guys brought it up here. I have the gun ordered at a local shop and it should be in on Tuesday. I am now in a bind on what to get since I gave the guy my word that I would get it when it came in and it is a small new shop that cant afford to be taking orders then getting them canceled. I got the glock thinking I was getting the reliability they are legendary for but now I am not sure. is it true the NEW GEN3 really has More problems then the newer GEN4?
I don't want opinions but fact on the answer to the last question.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: gun dog] #630344 03/12/12 04:20 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
MAN O MAN... what to do.... this is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: gun dog] #630345 03/12/12 05:31 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
GD there are documented problems with both platforms. But no one here can answer that question about that particular gun. I have had good luck with every one I have purchased or been issued.

Because I instruct during our academies and inservice I see a lot of pistols and malfunctions. Some are the shooters fault some are ammo, some are magazines and some are just plain quality control or design from the manufacturer.

We got the newer gen three and others had so many problems we kept them less than 6 months and they would not let us buy them. We got the Gen 4's and I saw some terrible triggers. Mine wasn't bad but much worse than my last pistol. I did see plenty of problems with the triggers and recoil springs etc in the Gen 4's. We have exchanged a bunch of parts.

You may be like me and never have a problem. I run some serious ammo through mine and have never had an issue. I shoot more than most.

Either way you can fix the problems if they occur. I highly recommend you fire at least 500 malfunction free rounds before you trust any pistol. Its just good insurance.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #630346 03/12/12 05:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I highly recommend you fire at least 500 malfunction free rounds before you trust any pistol. Its just good insurance.

That is sound advice.

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: ] #630347 03/15/12 12:05 AM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I am going to pick it up tomorrow and see how she runs soon after

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: gun dog] #630348 03/15/12 03:31 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I picked up the gun and also got some hornady critical Defence to go with it

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: gun dog] #630349 03/18/12 12:25 AM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Only had time to shoot three mags but every one was perfect

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: gun dog] #630350 03/21/12 08:07 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Have been using night sights on carry guns since the early 1990's (when they first become "common").

I ONLY use MeproLight "Tru Dots" now. They outlast / outperform (brightness) every other brand I've tried...and I've tried MANY.

Trijicon night sights are my least favorite. They burn out the fastest, and start out the dimmest.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Glock Accessories. [Re: Endeavour Morse] #630351 03/21/12 09:04 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I saw magpul ranger plates for glock mags today. They might be useful. I might have to get some to try.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3