Re: One Knife Only [Re: DogTired] #780420 06/26/13 12:56 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Now that's a use I can get behind.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: One Knife Only [Re: DogTired] #780422 06/26/13 01:10 PM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The Busse Choiless Anorexic Boss Street Limited Edition
(CABS) was so popular, that I'd sure like to see Dan offer something like it in Res-C. I think it would be VERY popular.

I know, again, I'm asking for a choiless knife...

JYD #183
Re: One Knife Only [Re: Feldgrun] #780426 06/26/13 01:59 PM
Y
yesh Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Y
Originally Posted by Feldgrun
The Busse Choiless Anorexic Boss Street Limited Edition
(CABS) was so popular, that I'd sure like to see Dan offer something like it in Res-C. I think it would be VERY popular.

I know, again, I'm asking for a choiless knife...

This sorta thing just doesn't get much support on the forums, it seems most people prefer choils sadly.

Junk Yard Dog #152 - Woof!
Re: One Knife Only [Re: DogTired] #780428 06/26/13 03:48 PM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Choils on large choppers and other neat elements like a "skull crusher" pommel are nifty on some custom knives with tactical names, but SY knives are for those of us who expect quality hard-use knives. Choils have their place, but not for every knife or every model. I'd like to see a departure from that on a 4" model to be used as a good bushcrafter. If the 311 blade's mini-choil was removed, thinned out a bit, extended out about 1/2" and left uncoated, (look at CABS blade) I think it would be a hit (expecially if made from INFI)! A CABS blade on a Res-C handle = SY perfection.

Last edited by Feldgrun; 06/26/13 03:49 PM.

JYD #183
Re: One Knife Only [Re: Feldgrun] #780439 06/26/13 07:29 PM
Y
yesh Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Y
Originally Posted by Feldgrun
Choils on large choppers and other neat elements like a "skull crusher" pommel are nifty on some custom knives with tactical names, but SY knives are for those of us who expect quality hard-use knives. Choils have their place, but not for every knife or every model. I'd like to see a departure from that on a 4" model to be used as a good bushcrafter. If the 311 blade's mini-choil was removed, thinned out a bit, extended out about 1/2" and left uncoated, (look at CABS blade) I think it would be a hit (expecially if made from INFI)! A CABS blade on a Res-C handle = SY perfection.

I agree completely, I'd definitely buy at least one of those if they were released. I can think of far more reasons NOT to have choils on knives, but I won't list them here as I already sound like a broken record talking about this matter. I fall squarely into the category of those that consider a choiled knife a spoiled knife. I can't tell you how many models I've been really interested in that were offered, but had to decide against because they ALL have a choil.

The reality, however is that every single Scrap Yard release has featured a choil in one form or another. The same is also true of Swamp Rat and less than a handful of Busse's have been released with a choilless configuration. I'm not saying something like that will never happen, but I'd certainly not hold my breath waiting for one of those. There's just not enough people on the forums asking for choilless knives, so the Kin' just continue producing the same types of knives that they have been for years. Can't really fault them for that as they sell a ton of them, but I definitely WILL NOT be pre-ordering any new SYKCO, SRKW or Busse releases unless they are offered with at least the option of no choil.

Re: One Knife Only [Re: DogTired] #780440 06/26/13 07:52 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Probably doesn't count, but the HDD Dagger doesn't have a choil.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: One Knife Only [Re: Spider-Pig] #780441 06/26/13 08:16 PM
Y
yesh Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Y
Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
Probably doesn't count, but the HDD Dagger doesn't have a choil.

True, I'm not sure how I missed that one as I'm about to send mine off to get it bead blasted. Just reminded me though that the Scrapivore is choilless as well. So, I stand corrected but that's still an extremely low ratio of choilless models vs. all models.

The Busse Avenger daggers have a choil, but to be fair it isn't really designed for actual use as it was made for The Avengers movie. Don't even get me started on having a choil on daggers though, if the HDD Dagger featured a choil that might just have sent me over the edge for good.

Re: One Knife Only [Re: DogTired] #780442 06/26/13 08:30 PM
snotpig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Ratweiler Chopper.

JYD #68
Re: One Knife Only [Re: yesh] #780517 06/27/13 01:16 PM
Feldgrun Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by A_Fond_Farewell
There's just not enough people on the forums asking for choilless knives, so the Kin' just continue producing the same types of knives that they have been for years. Can't really fault them for that as they sell a ton of them, but I definitely WILL NOT be pre-ordering any new SYKCO, SRKW or Busse releases unless they are offered with at least the option of no choil.

The choil has dampened my interest on more than one Bussekin knife, but the recent special LE offering (Clip Ground Anniversary SHBMs) with and without a choil gives me some degree of hope.

I'm not sure if Dan is really fully independent of Busse - do all designs have to be approved by Jerry? "If it doesn't have a choil, it's not coming out of my shop. Let's Drink!" If Dan is truly independent, and if he's interested in pleasing his customers, I'd like to see some hope of being willing to offer the type of knife we're interested in. I think it would sell very well even beyond the usual Busse(kin) fan base.

JYD #183
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16