Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
5.11 Pack Review #853168 01/19/14 02:46 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I got a 5.11 All-Hazards Prime for Christmas and am absolutely loving it. Figured I'd post a little about it. It is sturdy, well-built, functional, comfortable, and incredibly well organized.

I have it rigged up for EDC and travel with two 5.11 canteen pouches (each holding a 32oz Nalgene bottle) and a 5.11 phone holster attached to the shoulder straps (want to add a second one--one for a phone and one for an Ipod--yes, I'm such a luddite that those are two separate devices for me. I have two waist straps for it--one just a nylon belt and one set up with a Blackhawk padded belt for extra heavy loads--that I got from strapworks.com (there are two buckles that allow for belt mounting, although it doesn't come with one).

I also rigged up a set of Rush Tier straps to attach my SO Tech Mission Go Bag if I'm heading out of town for a while and want to have a shoulder bag for short outings. Also have two All Hazards Mules to pack toiletries and small electronics (camera, speakers for tablet/laptop, phone charger, etc.). Finally, I have a 5.11 Tactical RECON Rapid Excursion Pack inside that I carry my gym clothes in--incredibly light weight and compact (doesn't fold up like the Maxped Rolly Poly pack, but it's about the same size only with much more comfortable straps)

I've never seen a better designed bag. The All Hazards Prime pack is lined inside with blaze orange, making it easy to find your stuff regardless of the color of the pack, which is particularly nice if you like black (which I don't). There are six "layers" to the bag:

-- The compartment closest to the back can hold a water bladder.

-- The next compartment--the main compartment--has a sleeve for a laptop and allows you to access the plastic "frame" insert.

-- The third compartment is lined with molle webbing on one side and velcro on the other and comes with two tear-away mesh pouches attached to the velcro.

-- Then comes an open section that has nylon mesh at the bottom and buckles at the top (like the Rush 72), perfect for a pair of gym shoes, a helmet, or place to stash your jacket.

-- Fifth is a nicely organized admin pocket.

-- Finally comes a smallish little open compartment--prefect size for my 7" tablet, although it isn't padded.

The sides are designed so you could slip something inside and hold it in place with compression straps. There's a padded sunglasses case up on top, and handles on the top and bottom.

The bag is considerably more expensive than a Rush 24, but I was lucky enough to get a new one on ebay for the same price (plus it came with the canteen pouches and a 5.11 first aid kit to boot grin ). There's MOLLE all over this thing, so you can customize it however you want. For me, that was perfect. It's the perfect platform--ideal size and organization for EDC, and, combined with the Go Bag, waist strap, and whatever pouches I throw on it, it's big enough to handle more extended outings as well.

Maybe someday I'll get around to taking and posting pics... wink grin

Specs from the 5.11 Website:

OVERVIEW:
- Full featured tactical bag
- Tear-out medical pouches
- Padded laptop sleeve
- Hydration compartment
- Interior web platform
- Three-surface exterior web platform
- Shove-it pocket for expandable storage
- Side-mounted retention lanyards

SPECIFICATIONS:
- 11.5” W x 7.5” D x 20.5” H main compartment
- 1,768 cubic inch capacity
- Reinforced grab-and-go handles
- Adjustable compression straps
- High-vis orange lining on front panel
- Ammo Jack and Ammo Mule compatible

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #853213 01/19/14 03:00 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
That does sound like a nice bag. And yeah the size is really nice to boot!

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #853940 01/19/14 11:02 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Pics?

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #854092 01/19/14 02:56 PM
coyotebc Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Sounds like a nice set up

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #854653 01/20/14 02:52 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Pics:

All the organization I need (well, an FR-1 pouch is coming for the side smile ) The Mission Go Bag adds about another 750 cubic inches of space, and I assume the side pouches give another 200 or so? So, when it's all geared out and loaded up, it's got over 2500~2700 cubic inches. That's when I'd break out the padded belt...The Mules fit perfectly in the main compartment of the pack, giving you at least two main divisions in the main section of the pack if you need. Good for travel when you have electronic devices and cords etc, but certainly don't have to be depoloyed if you are going camping and just want more room for clothes.
[Linked Image from i747.photobucket.com]

RUSH Tier Straps only come in tan and black. OD Green would be nice, but I can get over it. Found some additional MOLLE repair buckles on eBay for about $7 that allowed me to put some female buckle ends on the 5.11 pack in addition to the 5.11 female buckle ends that are mounted on the MGB.

That's an ESEE Izula in the pocket--I have an orange Scrapivore that rides along in my Mission Go Bag.

Keeping a pair of gym shoes in the stow pouch--a jacket or helmet would work well too. Only downside is you need to unbuckle the top compression straps to fully open the pack, but I don't often need to fully open it to get to what I need.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #854654 01/20/14 02:59 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Final pics, with the MGB mounted on the front, two MULES packed in the compartment, the thin pack and a change of clothes, and a pair of shoes in the stow pouch. And yes, the MGB is ranger green vice the 5.11's od green. I'm not gonna win the "Tacticool Man Bag of the Month" award, but it's practical, functional, and works with what I have smile Eventually, the compression straps reach their limit and you may not be able to fully utilize all 2500~2700 cubic inches of space, but I'd say you come pretty dang close. wink grin

Note the handle on the top--well made and comfortable. Two wire handles across the bottom in case of emergency and you need to grab and go from a less traditional angle.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #855417 01/20/14 09:23 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Dang DT, you got this thing set up nice! Heck that should work out for just about any situation you are likely to encounter. Good job.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: 5.11 Pack Review [Re: DogTired] #855576 01/20/14 11:00 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I like versatility. That and I like MOLLE gear. It's like the ARs of the bag world, or bag Legos for men grin

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington