Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #886513 02/13/14 10:50 AM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by RUNIT
Man, I hate being a weirdo! I have tried to like them and I really wanted to. I think my fingers are just too long. I might need to try harder. eek

I have a handle problem with the Ratmandu. People have told me that it has the best handle but I cannot feel comfortable with it. Since many people have said that the RMD is one of the best Swamp Rat knives, I have tried hard to like it. But I can't. The handle is just wrong for me. You seem to have a similar problem with mudders. Not your fault. BTW, feel free to send any unloved mudders my way. I will give them a good home. grin

JYD #182
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: Ray Settanta] #886792 02/13/14 05:12 PM
C
Chiral Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
C
Originally Posted by Ray Settanta
Originally Posted by RUNIT
Man, I hate being a weirdo! I have tried to like them and I really wanted to. I think my fingers are just too long. I might need to try harder. eek

I have a handle problem with the Ratmandu. People have told me that it has the best handle but I cannot feel comfortable with it. Since many people have said that the RMD is one of the best Swamp Rat knives, I have tried hard to like it. But I can't. The handle is just wrong for me. You seem to have a similar problem with mudders. Not your fault. BTW, feel free to send any unloved mudders my way. I will give them a good home. grin

Huh. Care to take a photo of the RMD and a mudder in hand?

I definitely find the mudder to be slightly off - the swell is too far back on the handle (or the neck is too long & skinny) so it misses the pocket of the hand. The RMD hump/swell is perfect though could be improved with lateral (sides) contour and less guard material before the choil, imho:

[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com] [Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com] [Linked Image from lh4.googleusercontent.com]

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #886795 02/13/14 05:19 PM
S
Sigarett Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
S
I agree. I got my 2 mud mutts a week or so ago and was doing a little testing last night and have come to the conclusion that I am not a huge fan of the mudder grip as this was my first mudder. I prefer the 711 or standard size grip much more.

Like Chiral said above the swell is too far back and limits some of what could be great handling characteristics in my opinion as well.

Having said the that, the Mudd mutt is sick and penetrated over a half inch of phone book when doing a "gentle" penetration test and sliced the phone book like butter as well. Needs a better handle on such a fine blade.

Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #887079 02/13/14 06:20 PM
ScrapPhreak Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Mudders are a bit small for my meathooks too. However, since they're usually used on smaller blades, I don't have a problem with that. I'd rather them be a bit too small, than to have too much handle/blade ratio.

Freedom is NOT Free! THANK YOU to those who serve this GREAT country!!!
"Engineers don't idle well."
JYD #196
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #888253 02/13/14 11:22 PM
A
avalenz Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
A
Blasphemer!!! I want every Mudder variant made!!!

JYD#188

My Dogs SS5LE, ScrapMuk, Wiener Dog, Mud Puppy, and New pup TBD.
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #888258 02/14/14 12:56 AM
Sethrotull Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I love the Mudder.

But I have hands like a baby girl.

JYD #100
Dog, Hog, Rat it's all Bussekin
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #888259 02/14/14 01:55 AM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Never seen mudder handles in real life so I am stoked

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: Chiral] #889763 02/14/14 04:27 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Chiral

Here you go.

Ratmandu

[Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Mud Mutt

JYD #182
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: Ray Settanta] #889767 02/14/14 04:46 PM
Private Klink Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice pics Ray! wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: Ray Settanta] #890476 02/14/14 08:49 PM
C
Chiral Offline
Pound Puppy
Pound Puppy
C
Originally Posted by Ray Settanta

Here you go.

Ratmandu
[Linked Image from imageshack.com][Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Mud Mutt
[Linked Image from imageshack.com][Linked Image from imageshack.com]

Thanks for that! Now can you tell me why you're holding each knife with your thumb so far back?? That groove along the spine is for your thenar muscle group, and the swell goes in the pocket between the thenar and hypothenar groups. You are holding each knife like you're throwing a fast-ball, putting all the stress on your fingers, rather than letting it rest comfortably in the pocket of your hand (as in my pics above).

Here is a quick video I made a while back about handle-designs, shows the HRLM (same handle as RMD) toward the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welPk493sPM

Last edited by Chiral; 02/14/14 08:50 PM.
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: Chiral] #890732 02/14/14 10:51 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
[quote=Ray Settanta][quote=Chiral]

Thanks for that! Now can you tell me why you're holding each knife with your thumb so far back??

There are several reasons why I place my thumb in that position:
1) I was trained to do that.
2) It is also very comfortable for me.
3) I do not want my thumb to be as far down on the blade as you show in your pics. So the front of the handle is a natural thumb rest for me.

JYD #182
Re: Soooo, anybody here not a fan of Mudder handles? [Re: RUNIT] #890745 02/15/14 02:43 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Uh Yeah, what Ray said.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3