Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for a good sharpner. #9032 12/08/06 03:48 PM
Luckee Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
I'm looking to purchase a sharpner and was hopeing for some feedback. I've been eyeing both a Lansky and the Edgepro and wanted to here some pros and cons if any.

Re: Looking for a good sharpner. [Re: Luckee] #9033 12/08/06 07:04 PM
T
thombrogan Offline
Mongrel
Mongrel
T
Both work great. Even with its learning curve, you can't beat the EdgePro for simplicity and reproducible results.

The Lansky is more of a pain to set up on your knives; the EdgePro's stones require frequent flattening. The Lansky uses oil; the EdgePro uses water. The Lanksy's stones cut fast; the EdgePro's stones cut much faster. The Lansky will give you a very sharp edge very quickly; the EdgePro will give you a very sharp edge very quickly.

For the looks it will give your knife (while still keeping a hair-popping sharp; scary-sharp; or spooky-sharp edge), you can't beat the EdgePro. If you're sick in the head, you can buy lapping film in finer grits than Ben Dale sells for the EdgePro and get an edge with even more shine.

If you only care about the edge and the rest be darned, MtnHwk has found using a Razor Edge Systems brand coarse hone to grind the relief grind and Spyderco brand Sharpmaker to set the very edge to be a very time and price efficient combo. He grinds in the relief freehand with the coarse hone and then quickly sets the edge with the Sharpmaker. MtnHawk claims the Razor Edge System cuts faster than DMT's 120 grit diamond stone (my drug of choice) and it costs a lot less.

Of your two choices, I've enjoyed the EdgePro immensely. You can also use it sharpen kitchen knives which helps justify its higher cost.

"I knew you before you knew you had hands" ~Tracey Brogan
Re: Looking for a good sharpner. [Re: thombrogan] #9034 12/08/06 08:19 PM
Rat Finkenstein Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I am not sure if the lansky clamp would fit on the thick spine of the scrapper. I never even use my lansky because of the crappy clamp.

Signature line-> ______________________________
Re: Looking for a good sharpner. [Re: Rat Finkenstein] #9035 12/08/06 11:06 PM
Luckee Offline OP
Mutt
OP Offline
Mutt
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Re: Looking for a good sharpner. [Re: Luckee] #9036 12/09/06 03:42 AM
jaislandboy Offline
Mutt
Mutt

Brian
Re: Looking for a good sharpner. [Re: jaislandboy] #9037 12/09/06 11:20 PM
Paul the Brit' Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
RF, you are right- the Lansky doesn't fit so well but it will hold on if you use the little 'fine blade' notch to grasp the spine.. I used mine like that and it actually worked very well. In an ideal world I like the wet&dry paper and mouse mat trick but only if someone else is paying for all the paper it uses up!!

JYD #3 Poor, but still dreaming of a sage and black SOD CG...