Originally Posted by Architect
The most common characteristic among people identifying themselves as preppers is pessimism . I say this from experience. I spent the early 1980s Iiving in a survivalist home.

A prepper stockpiles in preparation for a calamity to befall him or even all of mankind. It seems like preppers almost WISH something would happen to justify their views. I think this is a nearly imperceptible impulse, but present nonetheless.

Like your comment about them taking our crops and us living in a cacoon...

First, at least we experienced true freedom leading up to "it".
Second, we would have learned enough by then to just start over . Try that if "they" take your pile of can goods.

Third, and this is the important distinction ... note the optimistism in my second point above. Optimism is the big difference between "preppers" and "free homesteaders". Homesteaders just see difficulty and adversity as a daily chore to be conquered. I'm suggesting that sitting around and waiting for something to happen is not a good plan. Adopt a can-do attitude and start living like it already did.

I fall into the pessimistic attitude often I try not to but it is hard when I see what I have spent my life fighting for being given away by people who have no idea the price it came at.

I still try and go out and enjoy life as much as I can, I am not sitting at home running air raid drills all day LOL (saw it on that prepper show) luckily what I enjoy is the outdoors mechanics and guns so it leads me to survival type activities anyways.

We do have a couple acre garden half of that being corn but I also like to have a stockpile of food just in case something happens to this years harvest.

I agree with the optimism thing and I am working on it.( I feel this is the hardest part.)

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery