A real good question is what are you going to use it for?

Also a 1000 dollar rifle deserves a nice scope. Think Gold Ring 4.5x14 50mm or something similar. Leupold has a great Scrap Yard like warranty and the clarity of the scopes is great as is return to zero etc. Also, a nice rifle deserves an excellent HARD CASE. It will protect your investment. Pelican again has a great SYKC warranty.

Match grade ammo can easily shrink you group size from 2 inches to .5 inches or less. Federal Premium is hard to beat, also most hunters will never shoot a high power rifle more than a few hundred times in their entire life. SO if you had a thousand rounds of good ammo you and you kids would be set.

My dad and bros all shoot 700s and they are all nice accurate rifles. I too am big on synthetic for many reasons. It won't change you point of impact when it is humid/wet like a wood stocked rifle can. Scratches are not the end of the world, less to maintain etc.

The 06 is a great one gun arsenal. Many of the armed forces snipers are equipped with 700s in 308. By design it is more accurate, something about the length/width ratio. Look at the 1000 yard contest at Camp Perry. 308 with 168 grain Sierra Match King Boat Tail Hollow Points almost always wins. A 308 should be able to work well for almost all North American game. Furthermore, there is more data on the 308 than any ther cartridge(thank you US military).

I love the 308 and ask shooter and some of the other guys on the SRKW Forum and they will agree.

But you can't go wrong in 06, 270 is a heck of a caliber too.

Join the NRA JYD #69 If a 6 turned out to be 9 Join the NRA