Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004724 06/11/14 04:31 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My PSA screening last week WENT DOWN from the previous. It is still "undetectable" meaning I'm on the path toward being declared "cured".

When my father died I received a call from his eldest brother (my uncle) whom I hadn't seen or talked to since 1981. This was in 2011. Thirty years later. He wanted to talk to me about prostate cancer in the family. He told me about their father, and the fact he too had it (in his 60's). He had chosen to not seek treatment, but instead handled it this way:

Sold his successful contracting business in Florida, and moved to a small farmstead in the midwest. Ate little meat, and tons of organic fruits and vegetables. Gets lots of exercise working outside.

He told me if I wanted to survive I needed to do the same thing. We went to visit his tiny country home. While there he talked about my dad's other siblings: the other brother died at 50 from cancer and the youngest sister at 44 from it.

We left and didn't talk about the visit.

Ironically, we ended up doing the same thing he has done (except I chose to be medically treated).

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004726 06/11/14 04:39 PM
monsterdog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Arch, what an insane amount of story and information, thank you for taking the time to write it all down smile Also, good luck with your health going forward, it sounds like it's moving in the right direction though.

I'm still working my way through the thread, but it would be interesting to know how you mitigated the plant loss due to deer/rabbits/etc.

I assume you didn't just use lead to fix that problem wink

"Wroof! Wroof!" - George IV misterdog-muensterdog-monsterhog
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004727 06/11/14 04:49 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
MD,
We had to dig up and replant new where the depredation killed the plants. We now have a 8,800 volts (min) six wire electric fence protecting everything we're growing. I did see a slack wire, and when I went to investigate found a pile of deer belly fur. I guess one thought it could slip thorough. Based upon the amount of fur on the ground and on the wire...I doubt it'll be back any time soon wink

As for shooting them. We take a shot at every coyote we see on our property, but that's it. We don't eat venison since they graze on GMO soybean and corn.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004728 06/11/14 05:17 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I just got back from physical therapy.

I echo what Randy said. That is a pretty big undertaking and I really appreciate the time you have taken today to explain to us your philosophies and the journey that has taken you to where you are.

I only recently heard about pharmaceuticals in the municipal water systems. All the drugs that get flushed don't go away.

I'm interested in reading about your day to day activities, if you don't mind. It doesn't have to be in great detail.

Also, do you have plans to raise livestock? I saw the word "lamb" mentioned and I'm wondering if sheep will be the extent of it. A steer will go a long way for two people. Of course then will be using a lot of energy keeping the meat frozen.

Congratulations on your continuing to be in clinical remission.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004729 06/11/14 05:20 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I enlisted in the Marines in the late '90's and we were not subjected to a prostate exam, so that must've indeed been an OCS candidate thing.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004731 06/11/14 05:44 PM
Ishikawa Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Very happy to hear about your remission. Sounds like a bit of genetic predisposition.

Fully understand the difficulties of pregnancy. My wife had to have 16 fibroids surgically removed, the largest being around 6.5cm diameter...all so we could get pregnant. After the surgery, we were lucky enough to have an egg take hold not 3 months later.

Additionally, I fear the day my father passes. He's my one true friend in this dark world.

Stay strong.

JYD #121
The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what you want most in life for what you want at the moment.
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004732 06/11/14 06:03 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Adam,
We plan to add goats (for milk) and sheep (for meat). Both will help compost manure.

Our day-to-day varies everyday. We do what has to be done.

I was told that Marine Officers were the only people submitted to finger-butt test.

Ish,
Thanks for the kind words and congrats on your success. We weren't as lucky after my wife had her surgery.

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004733 06/11/14 06:05 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Adam,
Found this...

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/more-questions-about-meps.22628/

" Also, don't forget to tell them you need a prostate check because Navy and Marine Officer School candidates require them.;) "

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004736 06/11/14 06:26 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Hahaha! How could you forget to mention THAT?!!

The biggest thing I remember from MEPS was a bunch of kids younger than me (I was 20) really enjoying bossing everyone around. The E-5's and above were much more professional.

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004737 06/11/14 06:27 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Adam,
Sorry for the rushed response. Dealing with a lot of work issues today, and will miss work tomorrow (its my post PSA Draw follow up appointment. They call with my results, but I still have to see the doc).

We do have a bit of a farm routine.

The chickens get fresh water every day, we have to collect eggs every day, and the pullets get some USDA certified organic feed. The full grown birds might get a little if its been raining all day and they've had a hard go at foraging.

Otherwise, we plan the next day every evening before. It could be 4 hours of pulling weeds followed by 4 hours of planting followed by misc chores or 6 straight hours of field maintenance followed by moving the chicken coop and turning over compost. We don't eat during our Friday-Sunday work days. We eat breakfast before and dinner after. No time for lunch. We do try to remember adequate water breaks. Hydration is important and especially for me.

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Spider-Pig] #1004738 06/11/14 06:33 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Spider-Pig
Hahaha! How could you forget to mention THAT?!!

The biggest thing I remember from MEPS was a bunch of kids younger than me (I was 20) really enjoying bossing everyone around. The E-5's and above were much more professional.

My first trip to MEPS was ... interesting ...

As someone being admitted directly to OCS (professional) I was given a room at the hotel to myself, and was allowed to drive myself to the hotel and to the MEPS station. That's where the wheels came off my day.

All kids were horsing around and I was isolated by the Gunny assigned to me. Eventually before the sound and vision rooms we were all told to assemble together. I strolled up at the end of the line. That's when the bus departure speech came and the little part about no weapons. As an officer candidate I wouldn't be taking the bus but I still had an obligation to answer "yes" when we were asked if anyone had a knife or .... gun ....

That poor sap didn't know what he had on his hands. He was kid gloves with me and asked where the knife was. To which I responded, well the knife is in my pocket and the guns are under my shirt. He said.. "GUNS???". They asked to me to unload them and put them on the deck at my feet. So out came a knife, Glock 19, Glock 26, and three spare mags, a baton, can of mace, and pair of brass knuckles. (This was my standard traveling gear at the time). He said "HOLY **^#!" The kids all looked scared, impressed and generally freaked out. The Gunny took me out to vehicle and only said "you're going to make on he&& of a Recon Marine (he knew my father was Recon and that I was going that route)".

After I went back in all of the kids thought I was James Bond. They didn't understand the special circumstances and I had already been briefed on the the frat agreement.

Still makes me laugh!

Re: Downshifting into a Simple Rural Lifestyle [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1004739 06/11/14 06:35 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Failed that day, and had to reschedule a return.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7