Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1007330 07/19/14 02:38 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I sent it via his website.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1007334 07/19/14 03:24 AM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great! He's a true professional.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1007337 07/19/14 03:32 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I've been reading about his work (and looking at it) for quite a long time. Also Ban's stuff.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1007375 07/19/14 01:13 PM
M
Massive Metal Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Originally Posted by Architect
Originally Posted by Massive Metal

Arch, do you still have your TGLB? I'm curious what your thoughts are on it

MM
cool

They're all gone.

I resisted buying one for a very long time (in spite of being considered a "good value"), because I wasn't sure what it was designed for outside of being a "modern KaBar". I have no intention of getting in a knife fight, and didn't like some of the design "features" like the hollow ground blade and fuller.

I ended up buying one anyway. It felt surprisingly good in the hand, and due to the LB treatment - it was light for a nearly 8" Busse product.

HOWEVER, when comparing it to my SARSquatch, NMSFNO, SFNO, ASH-1 (0.1875 and 0.22) it really didn't compare.

I think its popular because its a nearly 8" INFI for under $400, and more importantly because some character in a zombie movie apparently used one. [insert puking icon here]

The knife itself is probably useful for issue to an infantryman. Its light for its size, designed with fighting in mind, and made of the best "hard use" knife steel available. Having said that, I think there are A LOT of designs better suited to a non-infantryman who wants a: general purpose; or survival; or hunting; or camping knife.

Thanks for the info!

I'm still resisting...

MM
cool

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1033038 09/28/15 09:58 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, Staying with my S6 on this. I DO wish it didn't have such a pointy (that's a technical term ya know) as I feel it could break off just the smallest portion of the tip. Personally I like a little LESS pointy tip for a blade like this, more along the tip profile of the S5. BUT other than that the S6 is a pretty good one for this kind of "What If".

Now I guess I have to find another Pouch for one of my all weather survival blankets, a canteen and the aforementioned S6 along with a small FAK and another Sawyer mini-filter and put it all together on one of my nylon "Quick release" nylon belts.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1033039 09/28/15 09:59 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Oh and I need to probably add one of my Swamp Wardens.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: SkunkHunter] #1033042 09/28/15 02:09 PM
Rasmus Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
OK, Staying with my S6 on this. I DO wish it didn't have such a pointy (that's a technical term ya know) as I feel it could break off just the smallest portion of the tip. Personally I like a little LESS pointy.

It HAS to be pointy!

https://youtu.be/dmLh1sSFs8Y

Having only one pancake, leaves more room for bacon!

JYD#174

"Rasmutt"
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1033047 09/28/15 09:01 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
We will see how the ASH1 fits into this for me. MIGHT be exactly what I am looking for. I REALLY don't want to mess up the S6 as it was the first model Dan made and they are oh so hard to get.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034386 11/02/15 11:56 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
It's a very nice S6 indeed!

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034432 11/04/15 02:14 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Yes it is. Got into it right from a good dog. wink

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034528 11/07/15 08:20 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I've come to believe there isn't a perfect survival knife, because survival isn't perfect. There are too many variables to consider. I think most of us instantly think "wilderness survival" when this topic is broached, but in realty survival can be required any where and at any time.

This leads me to think we all need two layers of knives:

Everywhere Everyday Carry (EEC) = Stout 3-1/2 to 4" folder or skeleton necker type fixed blade

Durable Fixed Blade (DFB) = 5 to 8" fixed blade.

I use to preach the Trifecta concept, but have been shifting toward "lighter is better" (allows you to move swiftly and more safely). This means the selection of the DFB is more difficult, because I favor a 5" knife AND 8" knife.

I've encountered field tasks that are impossible for a 5" and nearly impossible for an 8".

Ultimately, for now I've settled on a Swamp Warden and NMSFNO.

My wife uses a Spyderco Endura4 FFG and a Skinny ASH.

I have a RMD on my "fighting belt", but might ditch it if I have wear my emergency ruck containing the other two knives.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1034536 11/08/15 02:58 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I'm with ya on this Gary, mostly anyway. I also like the "Trifecta" for this, a small (3-3.5 inch), medium (4.5-6 inch) and a large (to ME 7-and over) blade.

1. I agree with the EEC folder. Right now it's my Emerson Specwar. But I will alternate it out with my CR Umnumzaan. And SOMETIMES my Small Sebbie or my Ontario Rat II folder. (Yes, I STILL would have my beloved Karambit)

2. The EFB (Everyday Fixed Blade), Yeah this is a tough one. Right now I think I would still say my S5. To me it is the perfect length and thickness (3/16) for a knife this size. Plus I really like the blade shape and the Mudder handle is fantastic. That being said, my S6 is surprisingly nimble for a 6.5 inch long .250 inch thick blade, specially if you choke up and use the choil.

3. The LFB (Large Fixed Blade) This could be anywhere from my 7.5 inch 911 all the way to the BWM. I don't think I would want the 1311 now although it might be a better choice being several inches longer. Tough Decision. AND I really expect my "Chopper" preference to change to the LCH (Lean Chop House) once I get it.

4. DFB (Detail Fixed Blade) I think would still be my Muppy. This is a FANTASTIC blade shape and size and with the Mudder handle you can get a really good "Working" grip on it.

NOW, that being said IF I was restricting myself to just two blades...
1. IF going with a folder for the smaller blade, probably my GTI Folder. If you guys haven't taken a look at this thing, you really need to. This thing is built "Ford Tough". IF going the a smaller fixed blade, the Muppy.

2. Now this is a REAL tough one. For all around (Woods survival AND urban), probably my 711. Yes there are better "Choppers", and better "Bushcrafters", but for a compromise, I think this is a good size. I REALLY want to say my S6 on this one, but I just feel it is a LITTLE light for a complete "Allrounder" urban AND Woods blade.

As Gary said, there is no such Wonderknife, only compromises. We can only draw upon our experiences and those of others that HAVE Been there and done that and made it through.

Well there you have it, for what it's worth. AND for what it's worth, I would give more weight to Gary's post than mine. I haven't "Been there done that" in a long time.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/12/15 02:51 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 24 of 25 1 2 22 23 24 25