Page 67 of 272 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 271 272
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1010655 09/17/14 01:20 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie
Originally Posted by gun dog
How does duracoat compare to cerakote?
...the concensus seems to be that, for hard use, druacote is not in close to the same class as cerakote. We have a full cerakote booth and oven at work and so far have been very very impressed with it. I soot air cured cerakote at home and have found it to be great and durable as well.

spidy... NICE M65 !!!!!! what "dash" number is it ?

If I understand correctly, Duracoat is more like a tough spray paint (it cures kind of like an epoxy), a few notches above automotive paint. Cerakote is super tough, but it has to be heat cured. It's possible if you have a big enough oven to do it at home on a cookie sheet with a firearm. I plan on repainting my truck (portions of it, anyway) in Duracoat and finishing it with the Duraclear. I figure then I'd have to worry about the paint less while I'm off roading.

Last edited by El CacaFuego; 09/17/14 01:22 PM.

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1010661 09/17/14 05:00 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The air cured cerakote works as well, that is what i am using at home. You need a dest free environment to shoot it (a really low pressure gun - around 5psi) and somewhere that the finished items are safe to hang for around a week undisturbed to properly go off. I have done some stocks and other bits and pieces with the air cure and they are all holding up just fine.

Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1010662 09/17/14 05:29 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Good to know!

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1010664 09/17/14 08:20 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Ok so I'm not good at internet searches so I'm looking for a holster for my ruger single six hunter... 7.5 in barrel in a western style holster or heck a quality nylon would be nice... Most I can find are for the full size black hawk which is a bit larger

Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011479 09/28/14 04:50 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
In light of recent events, the beheading in Moore Oklahoma and the shooting of a Police officer in Ferguson Missouri and a POSSIBLE shooting of a second one, I figured I needed to start packing at work again.

Soooo I was a good boy or a bad boy (depending on your Sheeple index).

Yes, I broke into the bank to pay for one of these .....
http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-s-4-45-acp/

FOR ME, it is the best feeling handgun I own and points exactly where I want it to naturally and is the only handgun I have that does this. It is virtually unnoticed on my belt (weight wise) and has the best feeling paddle holster I have ever carried. I figure I will in time get a leather pancake style holster for it, only because I prefer leather.

It came with the aforementioned paddle holster and a double mag pouch that has "Rails" to hold you gun light or anything else that you can mount on a picatinny rail. The gun comes with a single position picatinny rail as well.

I of course, as indicated got the 45 and it is thinner, smaller overall, than my single stack Sig P225. The gun comes with two magazines, a flush fit 5 rounder and an extended 7 round with an installed extended "Filler" piece that slips over the magazine. It also comes with another backstrap and second extended magazine "Cover" along with the dual mag pouch.

Through the 31st of October you (Via mail in rebate or on the Springfield website) get THREE additional magazines and another mag pouch.

I am, so far, happy. I, based upon other folks satisfaction be happy with my purchase. PLUS getting an LE discount I think it was a really good buy, (at least I hope so). So if he made a mistake on the price, it's a mistake HE will have to eat, not me.

I know this is old hat for most of you Dogs, but Man, at least so far I think it's a great little gun. Just what I was looking for!

We'll see how things go after I put a couple three hundred rounds of full ball through it. UNLESS I change my mind I will be carrying Hornady Critical Duty Law Enforcement ammo or something from Cor-Bon.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 09/28/14 08:43 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011484 09/28/14 09:58 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Randy that's a sweet gun! My mom has the xds9 I agree is a awesome gun for the money and I think you made an excellent investment. Only one thing to think about. My moms will not reliably function with hornady critical defence or critical duty. If you look there is two polished places that serve as a feed ramp.
And of course this means it's and intrupted surface. The sharp edge by the poly tip of the round tends to catch there and jam the slide to the rear. Only way to fix it is to lock the slide back and reach in and push the round back in the mag and then remove the mag and offending round. This issues is do to the geometry of the round and that thin copper lip by the poly tip. As soon as we got her shooting traditional hollow points it stopped malfunctioning.

Now I believe this may not be an issue with your and here is why.
The 9mm round has a much shallower come shape to it and there for less surface geometry to ride up the feed ramp.

The 45 is a more spherical shaped round with more surface to contact the feed ramp. BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THUROUGHLY TEST YOUR GUN WITH THESE ROUNDS BEFORE CARRYING.

Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011492 09/28/14 12:17 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Awesome score Randy! I traded my old XD in because it was too big for my nubby fingers, then they came out with the XDm, and I knew I would fall in love once I picked one up and handled it... someday, I will own another one smile

As GD said, test it with whatever ammunition you intend to fire through it. My benchmark for reliability is 500 rounds without a stoppage due to ammunition. So far my Kimber is holding that standard. the only misfeeds are due to one of my Chip McKormick 10 rounders. If it proves it can't handle the task and starts having issues, then I won't carry it as a defensive firearm. If it malfunctions one time in 500, will that one time in 500 be when I need it the most?

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011493 09/28/14 12:39 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice buy Randy! Have to like the promo for extra mags and carrier!

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011497 09/28/14 02:36 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I've heard really good things about the XD series of pistols. We've got at least two deputies that carry them, and MAYBE one more too. They all really like them and one of our reserve deputies carries one in 40cal as well.

For 4 bills and a half, I ain't complaining. 1 shy of half a C note out the door. This guy is famous for giving military and LE discounts, Maybe I got both! grin

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011498 09/28/14 02:36 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Either that or he made a mistake. Either way I win!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011499 09/28/14 03:00 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, here ya go just to prove it's real.

First up a standing broadside shot with the extended mag in place.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]

The off hand thumb MIGHT be moved to a different location.

[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

Patty snapped just a little to quickly. It's not a new hold, I just hadn't gotten all my fingers around it yet.

[Linked Image from farm4.staticflickr.com]

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Scrap Yard Gun Talk [Re: Spider-Pig] #1011505 09/28/14 06:07 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nice handgun...worst looking "model" holding it I have seen in an online advertisement is years though ..... wink

Page 67 of 272 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 271 272