Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Roll your own gear! #1014145 11/20/14 02:29 AM
MonkeyBomb Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
How many of you make your own gear?

Over the years I have slowly started making my own gear. I started out making holsters with my Dad when he ran a custom leather shop. I don't really do that much anymore since he retired and closed the shop.

I make all my own Kydex knife sheaths and have started making mag pouches and have dabbled with a holster here and there.

I make all my paracord gear bracelets and straps etc.

I realized today that one of my favorite slings is just an alice strap buckle with a few yards of Nylon webbing and tri-buckles.

I can actually make a heavier duty version for about a third the price. So I have enough to make 3 slings for the price of one. Now all my rifles will have the same sling on them.

I started looking at a lot of stuff that I want and realize I can do it myself and even with trial and error I can do as good a job or better for less. Now there are still plenty of things I don't have the skill, knowledge or equipment to make but I do enjoy making my own stuff and saving a bit of cash at the same time.

So what is your go to roll your own project?

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1014258 11/20/14 07:43 AM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Firesteels. My oldest got into paracord bracelets, so I figured I'd not go that route until he's out of the house. When possible, I roll my own rounds.

It's not gear, but I also make my own jerky and sausage, and I have never paid someone to butcher a single deer I've killed. Same principle: I figure I can do just as good a job or better than someone else so why pay them 100 bucks a job?

SF45ACP on the other hand not only rolls his own rounds, but he's gotten into making his own bows, arrows, and has begun dabbling in knapping his own broadheads. I'll brag for him since he's not around much wink

MB, I'd love to see pics of the sling. That's something I'd be interested to learn how to make.

I've thought about kydex bending. I realize it's not TOO hars once you've got the set up, but there's the initial investment of time, resources, and time...Maybe when I get to the point where I can't go out to the field anymore I'll take that up to stay connected smile

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1014260 11/20/14 08:10 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I don't make any of my own stuff, but I can vouch for DT's Firesteels and firestarting PJCB! Matter of fact That's what I used two weeks ago to burn some major leaf piles and branches from the trees I trimmed for the Stepson. I can't start a fire with a match to save myself, but thanks to DT I am a (Semi) recovering Pyromaniac! grin

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1014271 11/20/14 01:15 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
DT I should be getting all the stuff in to make the slings by next week. I will post the pics when I get everything together.

I never really paid attention to how simple some of the "high speed" gear really is. That's probably because I am low speed high drag most of the time.

JYD #113

Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1014274 11/20/14 04:24 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have been planning to do some stuff for a while. It's always on the backburner. The paracord thing came back up again recently as I still want a belt or two and chat makeup my mind what slings I want. Probably easy enough to make both. Plus the materials are fairly cheap if I wanted to slap something together with nylon webbing.

All it really takes is to sit there a few minutes and either figure out something that works or reverse engineer something that already exists. Or just Google it sincesomebody else is already making it. I don't know why trolling Amazon for hours seems like a quicker way to go about it.

Maybe we can start some project threads?

Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1014285 11/20/14 05:24 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Lazi most of the time my epiphany comes when I am already holding something in my hand and think how simple it is or how I can make it better.

I do think some DYI/project threads would be pretty helpful.

JYD #113

Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1014348 11/21/14 02:41 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
That they would. Look at all the "Info" threads Pitman has done.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1016767 12/27/14 04:26 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well not really gear as we think of it, but still a pretty neat thing.

POLAR BEAR TUBES!
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-...rce=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1016769 12/28/14 12:50 AM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Those are awesome, and I am building some this summer laugh

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1018479 02/14/15 03:05 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Its work but nothing special. Dig to the main roots and cut through them all. All the way around the tree. I would have driven a bit slower but it did the job.

I used the winch on my jeep to pull a whole bunch of Juniper bushes a few years back. I was very surprised how well they held. I had a few that started to drag the jeep before they released.

The previous owner had never trimmed them and 7 or 8 of them had grown together and the runners had made a mat of branches.

I just need to level and re rock the area to make it pretty again.

This

[Linked Image from i198.photobucket.com]

To This

[Linked Image from i198.photobucket.com]

JYD #113

Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: SkunkHunter] #1020081 03/12/15 08:21 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I need these for my coolers this spring. I was planning to use jugs but these would be perfect.

I also read you can make the ice packs using rock saltwhich keeps them cold longer. So I will likely try these with salt in them.

I bet these would be amazing in one of those expensive coolers. M
They might actually make then worth the investment.

Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Well not really gear as we think of it, but still a pretty neat thing.

POLAR BEAR TUBES!
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-...rce=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Roll your own gear! [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1020467 03/21/15 02:06 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105