Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. #1015166 11/26/14 11:08 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I decided to build some slings to match the one I regularly use. With some improvements.

I found a place that sells Alice pack buckles and picked up some heavier webbing and some tri-glides.

It turned out really well and costs about a third of what the name brand sling cost. I just built in the modifications I had already made to the factory sling.

I can say the stock will probably break before the sling does. Plus with thicker nylon is more comfortable The downside it doesn't release as smoothly as the original. The weave on the heavy duty webbing is more aggressive than the thinner webbing.

3 slings for less than 30 bucks is a win in my book.

DT asked me if I would post up when I made my quick adjust rifle sling.

This is based off the VTAC 1 inch rifle sling.

There were a few things I didn't like about the regular VTAC sling. It took me a while but I remembered where I had seen the quick adjuster for the sling. Its an ALICE Pack adjuster buckle. I found a place that sells them and I was on a roll.

I ordered 3 Alice Buckles some regular Tri-Glides and 10 yards of Heavy webbing.

Now to make the sling.

[Linked Image from i198.photobucket.com]

I used 2, 4 '10" pieces of heavy duty webbing. Standard Nylon webbing is fine. You need 4 tri glides and 5 is better and 1 Alice buckle.

Cut your webbing to size and burnish the edges with a lighter so they don't fray.

Run your Webbing through the Alice buckle. The front of the buckle goes to the barrel side of the sling.

The top strap is your adjuster strap. The Bottom is what you strap to the connector on the rifle. For this setup i used a HK style clip but a quick detach loop or paracord will do the trick that's a personal choice.

I use two tri-glides. This is only as a backup in case one snaps. I like redundancy and tri-glides are cheap and light.

You end up with this.

Then run the second piece of webbing through the back of the ALICE buckle and I use a Tri-glide to hold the webbing. If you have a sewing machine that can go through the webbing sewing is probably better.

I then put two more tri-glides on the other end and run it through the stock or use it to attach another connector.

Its simple to build and you don't need any special tools to do it.

I added a Solomon Stitched paracord release instead of just using a paracord loop. I like having more to grab and I know what i have when I grab for it.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015168 11/27/14 01:22 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Wicked awesome man!

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015170 11/27/14 02:37 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Good show and tell MB.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015329 11/27/14 11:48 PM
GeneralDelivery Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Very cool. Thanks for showing us.

JYD #189

"Courage is the virtue which champions the cause of right." -Cicero
Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015410 11/28/14 08:14 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I'm trying to get there on this one. I need to find a place where I can order some stuff. I have no idea where I would find this stuff locally but that would be better.

I think I need to start with a very simple belt.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015411 11/28/14 08:25 PM
MonkeyBomb Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Lazi I got everything but the webbing from Survival Pax. They sell the webbing also but I had already bought the heavier webbing somewhere else.

The alice buckles were the hardest thing to find.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015417 11/28/14 10:37 PM
El CacaFuego Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
If you can't find Alice buckles, you could always snag a cheap old ruck from a Milsurp and cannibalize the parts.

Awesome MB, I may have to upgrade the rigged sling I have on my 7.62x39 AK and do this. I wonder if I could integrate the bungee into it somehow...

"Teaching is not showing others new things, but reminding them that they know as well as you."

JYD #118
Re: Make your own quick adjust rifle sling. [Re: MonkeyBomb] #1015498 11/30/14 09:45 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Phenomenal man I was just thinking of ordering a Vtac sling, now I can make my own.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery