Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? #1018627 02/18/15 03:46 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
So....I initially set up my 300BLK pistol with a Sig Brace and a Burris Fullfield e1 2-7x32 scope. Absolutely LOVED the set up--worked great and ABOUT 2 moa at 100. Since the recent BATF letter RE the Sig Brace, and since shoulder surgery, I am rethinking the set up. Ideally, BATF backs off their re-ruling, but if that's not in the offing, I'd like to remain on the outside of the prison walls wink

So....the question is red dot or scope? I have a Bushnell AR Optics 1x MP illuminated red dot that I could throw on it. Also have a Bushnell TRS-25. The Burris scope has it dang accurate at 100 yards, but I gotta shoulder it to make it work well--or at least get it up to my cheek. Anyone run a red dot on their AR pistol? Able to get an acceptable level of accuracy out to 100 yards +? I have a Vortex 3x magnifier I think I could throw on it (haven't opened the Bushnells yet to try), but not sure if that just creates a giant blob in the field of view.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc?

It shoots Barnes 110gr BLK ammo amazingly well...unfortunately, it's really expensive (both factory AND reloads) and I'm cheap so I'm reluctant to experiment with various options if there's a clear "winner" that keeps the gun accurate and me on the right side of the law wink

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1018680 02/19/15 11:30 AM
Ishikawa Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Red dot has not let me down. Aimpoint Micro, hands down.

Can't imagine a scope on a supersonic AR unless you're planning on 200+ yds regularly.

Forget the magnifier. Waste of weight, space, gadgetry...

Disclaimer...I have no experience (or interest) with a so-called pistol AR. But I run mine on an 11.5" 5.56, and it has killed many a beasts. What's your barrel length on the BO?

Disclaimer 2. If you're running subsonics...then stick with a scope so that you can dial in your dope at range. Same goes for bad eyesight...can't shoot what you can't see.

JYD #121
The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what you want most in life for what you want at the moment.
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1018685 02/19/15 12:29 PM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks for the input.

The barrel is 8.5"--just long enough to burn all the powder. My eyes are not the best. Mostly, this was a gun my lightweight 11 year old could easily shoot. He's gonna have a hard time even with youth-sized rifles for several more years. This was a way to get him out in the field with his dad, brother, and grandfather. I have a regular 16" 300BLK carbine that he'll be able to run in another year or so.

I just can't stand the whole SBR registration thing--gotta have your paperwork on you whenever you're in the field using it, not really sure if anyone else could shoot it, all sorts of estate planning headaches, etc. Too much hassle for a treestand gun for an 11 year old. wink grin

With the Barnes 110 supersonics, it makes the pistol a viable 200+ yard gun. I don't see my kiddo shooting it at 200 yards at this point, but I might from time to time grin It's currently sighted in 1" high at 100--hoping to get out somewhere to test it at 200 and 300 after my shoulder gets better.

As for Aimpoint, I had one--not a micro--but sold it off to get another handgun that the kids can shoot. I won't be dropping $400 give or take on a red dot any time soon. As good quality as it is, that's just money unavailable wink I might get one some day down the road for my RRA carbine, but that's somewhere off in the distance, probably after the house is paid off and the kids are out of college wink Just not economical for this pistol and its intended use.

The TRS25 is a reasonable clone of that--I was amazed that their battery life seems to have really improved. I got one several years back for my 357 revolver and I think it was rated for a few hundred hours on low. New ones look rated for 3-4000 hours IIRC.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1018686 02/19/15 12:34 PM
Ishikawa Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The lightest AR I have, is still heavier than my Rem Model 7 .223 that I used from age 9-14. Have you considered one of those as an option? Handy little rifles....throw a fixed 4x on top and call it a day.

JYD #121
The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what you want most in life for what you want at the moment.
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1018688 02/19/15 12:49 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
300bo Handi Rifle is $219 somewhere out there. I know because I'm seriously thinking of ordering one tomorrow (probably not though). With a little digging there are youth stocks available. At the price maybe cut it down. Also you are already into the caliber.

And as I posted in the gun thread, the Handi are going away. This might be a added bonus down the road.

Sorry, no advice on the scope... But red dots are cool! smile

JYD #82 yup...
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1018689 02/19/15 01:00 PM
Ishikawa Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Don't forget the suppressor....it's for the children's hearing.

JYD #121
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1018691 02/19/15 04:05 PM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Ha! Think of the children! I'm buying one hunting rifle per kid so they get one that will last them their lives. Oldest (wisely) chose a 243. I anticipate the second will pick a 243 or 270. That's why I'm not interested in youth models--to much extra expense. One and done. He's just a slower grower and so will use my guns until he can comfortably shoulder one of his own. Otherwise a Handirifle might be a good option.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

- Benjamin Franklin

- George Washington
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1019435 03/04/15 11:38 PM
Ishikawa Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Just a broad comment to come back to this, and planning for the future (with your kids).

With advances in bullet, powder, manufacturing, and scope technology since we were younger...I am more and more convinced that less is better. The .223 is a formidable round for most animals...308 if you need to tackle elk, etc. Both can be highly accurized, and paired with a scope that enables extremely accurate kill shots at distance.

Anyways, just food for thought. Some people like simple...and the idea that with a 7mmMag they don't have adjust dope between 100-300 (give or take a few inches).

Hope you find what you're looking for.

PS - Did I mention Aimpoint T-1? laugh

JYD #121
Re: AR Pistol Setup--Red Dot or Scope? [Re: DogTired] #1019525 03/06/15 08:25 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
"...can't shoot what you can't see"

That's absolutely not true..it just take a LOT more bullets to hit the target.

Remember this: Everytime I blink, you disappear.