Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037381 01/30/16 04:10 PM
luck Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Keep up the good work...It definitely gets easier!

JYD #150

meluckpup
Re: Nutrition [Re: luck] #1037385 01/30/16 04:33 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by luck
Keep up the good work...It definitely gets easier!

Haha, IF I don't die first! wink

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037389 01/30/16 05:30 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Good job all around. I'd gotten up to 250 a couple times and decided that was not a good place to be. I'd like to be around 180-190. When I was a younger man, I dropped to 170 and was pretty dang thin. Talked to some recruiter in grad school (seriously glad I didn't go that route--not because the military is a bad thing, but it would have further shredded my joints) and the guy said according to his sheet, I needed to be 150 at the most. I had to laugh--I would be unable to get out of bed if I were 150. My frame is not designed for being less than 170 soaking wet.

I did the South Beach Diet for a few years. Started in China where access to cheap fresh vegs was easy. I'd come home from the market with 50 lbs of fresh produce for $20. I had time to cook and had the drive to make it work. It took a lot of will to get me off the strict phase and introduce some fruit and whole grain back in. I dropped down to 185 and felt amazing.

Then, after being stateside for a couple years, it was harder to buy fresh fruits and vegs. Time dried up, as I got busier with work and more responsibilities. When we added our fourth kid, it became harder and harder to cook for myself so I ate whatever the rest of the family ate. I redeveloped a taste for sugar. Got back up to 238. My efforts to get back on the train were rewarded with 5 knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery as I added exercise back in and found I had a genetic problem that has all-but destroyed the cartilage in virtually all of my joints.

Recently decided I dont want the diabetes, heart disease, or other weight-related issues that plague both sides of the families (my dad is the first male in his direct family to live past 50). So, while there is little I can do about exercise--I will never run a marathon or swim the English Channel--80% of your weight is made in the kitchen. I've decided I need to make healthy eating a priority again.

Cutting out refined sugar has been hard, and on the weekends I don't make it a strict rule. Making breakfast something easy has been key--peppers or a piece of cheese or something raw and tasty. Giant salad with a little dressing and some protein--roast chicken, sauteed beef chunks etc.--for lunch, and something small for dinner--protein and vegetables--has made a difference. And making sure I get plenty of cruciferous vegs, cold water fish, wild game (high in omega 3s vice the 6s of corn-fed animals), and eating dry figs, prunes or pears to help with regularity has also helped.

Today I weighed in at 226--even after helping my younger son perfect an odtmeal cookie recipe three times over the snow-shut down. I can't count calories long-term. I can't do complicated things--I lack the interest and attention. If it works for you, then by all means do it, I just know I can't. But if I can eat as much vegetation as I please, keep the protein moderate, and ensure I eat a little fruit, its simple enough for me to stick to for the long run. Simple and easy. If it's not that I can't do it.

The whole "two track" cooking system may be my undoing, since time still doesnt favor me, but the more I can bring that to a one track system, the more success I'll have in the end. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those that have succeeded with getting to their happy place grin

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037413 01/30/16 11:15 PM
DogTired Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
OK, picture yourself with the KEY that will release them so they can get to Washington. smile

Pretty sure they already made it there decades ago....

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037419 01/31/16 02:55 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Good Post DT (the one about eating).

Found a copy of an OLD dictionary from way back in the 1800's. In it there was a listing for Washington.

Washington DC= name of the U.S. Capitol, (DC stands for Dead Cerebellum.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037465 02/01/16 04:01 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Good job Randy. Hang in there, and stay positive.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037776 02/09/16 01:03 PM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Arch

You stated that only eat organic eggs.

Do you have your own chickens or ducks? The wife and I currently buy fresh eggs from a neighbor (less than 2 days old) but with our move next month, that source will no longer be viable.

We where thinking of raising our own chickens at our new house but we aren't sure if the it would be worth the effort especially if we could find a new "fresh" source.

Remember this: Everytime I blink, you disappear.
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037778 02/09/16 02:46 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Well went to the Dr yesterday and I'm down (On his scales) to 255. Not as much as I would like, but it beats 268! Slow and steady wins the race, but it sure is discouraging. But at least i am getting used to eating less and less often. I'm working on the dietitians recommendations of eating three meals a day and about a 100 calorie snack between. SO far it's working, but we will see.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037831 02/10/16 12:14 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
You inspired me to drop a few pounds. I've lost six pounds since Thursday.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037832 02/10/16 12:16 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Well went to the Dr yesterday and I'm down (On his scales) to 255. Not as much as I would like, but it beats 268! Slow and steady wins the race, but it sure is discouraging. But at least i am getting used to eating less and less often. I'm working on the dietitians recommendations of eating three meals a day and about a 100 calorie snack between. SO far it's working, but we will see.

Don't get discouraged. It takes time.

Be sure to change out your diet at irregular times. This stimulates your metabolism. If you eat three small meals and snacks between your body will get use to this, and adjust your metabolic rate downwards....and you'll burn less calories.

Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037858 02/11/16 08:30 AM
JarheadJournalist Offline
Snake Eater JYD #120
Mongrel
Snake Eater JYD #120
Mongrel
Been a while since I've checked the forums. Good to see you guys discussing nutrition.

I am, like Greaser, a bourbon drinker. Yet, i maintain a slim build. I don't eat enough carbs, mostly because I drink them. I really like beer too. I run in the morning and go to the gym at lunch to burn off the excess calories. Not really the best way to do it. I assume the best way would be to not consume those empty calories/alcohol, but ... The best die young. wink

The special operations guys I am friends with try to stay at about 7-8 percent body fat. Any leaner and they tire quickly. Any heavier and they aren't as fast. They eat like pigs though. They also PT like meth heads looking for their next fix.

I am turning 40 soon and make sure I consume lots of fiber to keep my cholesterol down. It helps according to my last blood work. I eat lots of beans and veggies and MEAT. But, I limit my red meat/beef.

JYD# 120
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1037860 02/11/16 08:47 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Good to hear from you JJ. I am going at it slowly and hopefully that will allow me to develop a HABIT of doing the food and exercise thing right. Doc wants me on the treadmill 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I've been off it for the last three days now due to my "Trick" hip. It was a lot better tonight so hopefully it's on the mend again, until next time...

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8