A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038686 03/09/16 01:49 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Been too busy or too tired to post to this thread but I am tuned in.

I haven't committed to all of it yet but I'm making some changes to my diet that will include much more "organic" foods. And after years of just not drinking milk I finally decided to give almond milk a try. I like it and it'll be in my cart on a regular basis. I also picked up a tub of something called Vega which is some sort of protein supplement. Mainly becuaee lately I don't eat like I'm supposed and tend to go without eating anything for longer than I should. I just need to make sure I'm getting some sort of nutrition if I decided to leave the snack machines alone for good. Another reason I wanted to go ahead and snag a edc pack is so I could get used to having some sort of health snack close by. I have to distance myself from the snack machines and quickie marts like I did with fast foods.

I also spent $100 at the grocercy store versus the $80 I normally spend with not a scrap of meat in the cart. I'm not about to do the vegetarian thing but I'm definitely cutting back on the meats enough that some folks would thing I'm being a weirdo. But I think I'll just start being more selective of the meats I eat rather than eating it all of time. Along with the sous vide thing I bought it should be interesting.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038697 03/10/16 02:35 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
A lot of times I just get a hankerin for veggies and don't want any meat at all, and that is NOT like me. I'm a Carny Vore! wink But I am trying to get more fruit and veggies in my diet.

Oh and Good for you lazi!

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038755 03/12/16 09:17 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Ever think about getting a juicer? More nutrition without the bulk.

JYD #182
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038756 03/13/16 02:56 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
We had thought about it but it would probably be a fad with us.

But on a good note, I am now down to 254.2 pounds! But I HATE being sick just to loose weight. However I will take it any way I can get it.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: lazi] #1038844 03/16/16 11:36 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by lazi
Been too busy or too tired to post to this thread but I am tuned in.

I haven't committed to all of it yet but I'm making some changes to my diet that will include much more "organic" foods. And after years of just not drinking milk I finally decided to give almond milk a try. I like it and it'll be in my cart on a regular basis. I also picked up a tub of something called Vega which is some sort of protein supplement. Mainly becuaee lately I don't eat like I'm supposed and tend to go without eating anything for longer than I should. I just need to make sure I'm getting some sort of nutrition if I decided to leave the snack machines alone for good. Another reason I wanted to go ahead and snag a edc pack is so I could get used to having some sort of health snack close by. I have to distance myself from the snack machines and quickie marts like I did with fast foods.

I also spent $100 at the grocercy store versus the $80 I normally spend with not a scrap of meat in the cart. I'm not about to do the vegetarian thing but I'm definitely cutting back on the meats enough that some folks would thing I'm being a weirdo. But I think I'll just start being more selective of the meats I eat rather than eating it all of time. Along with the sous vide thing I bought it should be interesting.

We started eating "certified organic" foods over ten years ago. In the beginning, it was just milk, eggs, beans, etc. We suffered from the sticker shock and difficulty in finding a reliable source for organic products.

About eight years ago, we started moving toward "all certified organic".

During the past six years, I'd say about 99% of what we eat is certified organic. The biggest exception is some of our cheese and beef. About 50% of the cheese we eat is from Ireland (certified to be GMO, Hormone, Antibiotic, etc free)...the other 50% is organic. We eat organic chicken (exclusively), and wild caught fish (exclusively..no farm raised / GMO fed). Our beef is about 50/50...

50% organic (usually ground beef)
50% non-organic but 100% grass fed / pasture raised / no-gmo feed / no-hormones / no-antibiotics.

Our annual food budget is very high compared to what it costs to eat at McDonald's or buying budget foods. I fully understand some people's budgets require them to make quality sacrifices, but most of us can afford to eat healthy foods. It does take extra effort to seek out the best source (best price and consistent availability) for your organic: peanut butter; milk; eggs; bread (we usually just make our own); butter; cheese; cereal; vegetables; fruit; meat; etc.

However, even WalMart and Sam's Club carry MANY organic products now.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038846 03/16/16 11:42 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
One of the easiest ways to improve our diets is to:

1) Cut down or eliminate "processed foods". These are those easy to prepare products like "Rice A Roni".

2) Read ingredient labels. If you can't pronounce it...you probably don't want to eat it. There are some exceptions that sound heinous, but are actually just vitamins.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1038847 03/16/16 11:48 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Once you ween off of (deadly) MSG laden foods (MSG makes you taste-blind by overwhelming your ability to taste what food is really about by artificially enhancing flavors) you can start eating simpler foods.

The products used to "cure" or "preserve" most prepared meats is just as bad. Nitrates and Nitrides are also killers.

Avoid any food with:

- MSG
- Nitrides or Nitrates
- HIGH fructose corn syrup (corn syrup is mostly okay...but HIGH fructose is awful)
- Refined sugar
- Aspartame
- Artificial colors
- Artificial flavors (except perhaps vanillin in LIMITED quantities)
- Soybean
- Corn (unless its labeled NON-GMO or Organic)

The list goes on, but you're already thinking I'm a food-geek and everything you're currently eating is trying to kill you.

It is, by the way.

Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1054924 08/28/21 11:38 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, once again Patty says she thinks we should maybe invest in one of the long term “survival food” kits, or shell out the big bucks (but we don’t have Tom’s kind of money) grin

Any of Y’all got any recommendations? We’re probably looking at a month’s worth for 2 people.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1054926 08/29/21 03:09 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
EmergencyEssentials.com

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1054933 08/29/21 09:35 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I was looking at them. Thanks Tom.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Nutrition [Re: SkunkHunter] #1055097 09/10/21 02:26 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Just received an order from Emergency Essentials ; their email is BePrepared.com . wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8