Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044446 03/01/20 12:11 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Nikon has decided to get out of the rifle optics business. There's quite a few of their scopes out there selling at clearance prices. Their tactical lines seem to be heavily discounted. If you check out the "guns.deals" website you will see some pretty good deals on Nikon scopes. I have been tempted to get a Nikon Black 4-16x50 for my CZ550 "tacticool" but haven't gotten around to it yet.

As for long rang shooting... I can't say what's best and what features you should look for. I'll say that I sold my nicest scope because it was too nice for what I do. But later I turned around and bought a rifle it would've been perfect on. So I bought a similar style of scope for about 1/6 the price. While I do notice a difference in quality between the two I have to admit it won't make much of a difference to my usage. I mostly just liked seeing folks reaction when I told them I had a $2000 scope LOL...

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044448 03/01/20 12:17 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Oh... I have 4 or 5 Vortex scopes. None of them go above 10x magnification but I do like them all. If I saw the right price something with a higher magnification range I would probably snag it.

JYD #82 yup...
Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044451 03/01/20 02:37 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
All of my 22LR have $500+ scopes on them and I wish I had bought better optics.

I have 11 Vortex (had 12 until last week ... sold my 1-8x Strike Eagle). All of my Vortex are up for sale.

My goal is to turn those 11/12 optics into 2 optics.

Best rifle in the world won’t perform to its ability without the right guy behind it or best glass on top of it.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044452 03/01/20 02:39 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
In fact, my entire gun view has shifted from WalMart to Boutique.

I’d selling almost everything except the few items I have that are the very best.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044453 03/01/20 02:41 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
You can only use one at a time anyway.

As an example ... I’m even selling my Colt ARs because there are better options.

Most would be happy with a couple of Colts, but I’d rather have a single LMT MRP.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044454 03/01/20 02:43 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Sold the Strike Eagle 1-8 with cantilever mount for $325 on Friday.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044475 03/01/20 11:00 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Ok so I hate being that guy but I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s better to have one top tier LPVO (1-6 or 1-8) and one top tier long range precision optic than it is to have glass on every gun you own. With modern mounting solutions that almost perfectly return to zero and turrets that truly track it is very possible to do as well. Just record what it took to rezero when you move the optic and when you move that scope back to the original input the offset and confirm zero.

I have managed to get some decent glass over the last few years and review some. LPVOs being vortex razor, night force NX8, Trijicon accupower, EOTech vudu, Burris XTR II, leupold MK6, Steiner and a few others below that grade of optic for long range I’ve got or been behind razor genII 4.5-7, leupold MK5 both models, Burris XTR II, sig tango 6, viper gen II, and a few others

You absolutely pick up capability with the top tier optics. Optical clarity in all lighting and target area is incredibly better with the best optics, the turrets tracking and having a SF knob for parallax is crucial, your reticle selection is also better and will measure true.

I’m considering a Nikon FX1000 for a .17HMR but the turrets suck for dialing as the individual detents to stop on are to close and it’s difficult to stump where you need them. The king and queen of the sub $1000 price range will be the XTRII and the Viper Gen II. While not perfect these have show they are 1k yard optics that can be had for below a grand. They might not be the clearest glass but mechanically they have what it takes. If you are serious about trying to shoot long range precision past 500yds on game animals besides targets then you need to seriously be considering going to something that will have better clarity and light transmission suck as the MK5, razor gen II, or NF NX series of glass. Remember eye strain is not a good thing and the lower end options will give it out faster than the nice ones. I’m personally a fan of mill biased Christmas tree reticles in anything that’s going to do true long range work. Illumination is nice but unless your doing low light you won’t need it so why pay for it. first focal plane is a non negotiable feature on anything over 6x for me. I know guys running the primary arms optics and while they work I wouldnt drop below the gold line. Glass really is buy once cry once. So it’s worth waiting a year if it takes it to buy the upper class of glass.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044476 03/01/20 11:09 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I agree with Gun Dog. Its better to have less and better and you 100% can tell the difference between mid and high range quality.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044598 03/05/20 07:05 PM
RN Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
My next gun purchase will be a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50.

I struggle to pay a lot for optics...my most expensive is a Aimpoint Pro on one of the ARs...I just can't make that step into higher priced optics.

Yet.

lol

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."
Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044600 03/05/20 07:30 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Rich,
Once you buy a higher quality optic you'll never look back.

I was at the range recently and bumped into a LONG TIME gun-acquaintance. He was shooting his Beuwolf chambered AR. I noticed it had a Primary Arms 1-8x on it so I asked if I could look through it (never owned a PA but know they're popular with the budget buying crowd). He was really proud of the optic and it looked like GARBAGE. The optical clarity was CRAP! I was a little ackward when I pulled out my rifle with a ACOG TA11 on it (range etiquette dictates ... you've shown yours so I have to show mine). I walked it down to him and try to play it off like I was showing him the rifle. He looked through my optic and a string of profanity followed. Said he's getting online to buy an ACOG.

The optic I was using cost me $1,109 in 2013.

Glass is a place that we all want to save money but its really the place you can "see" the difference.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044601 03/05/20 07:35 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I know I have to sound like a gun snob ... because I've become one.

We all have different financial situations (income, debt, obligations) but after owning more guns that your average store sells during its entire life span I've come to one irrevocable conclusion:

If faced with the choice of only being able to afford one absolute top-of-the-line rig vs 10 to 20 lower range rigs ... I'll take the top of the line. My personal decision became to not compromise on the quality of my gun gear. I'd rather sacrifice some place else if needed.

Each person has to identify the characteristics of what makes XYZ "the best" to them. For example, many people will say KAC makes "the best" AR but an equal number of people will say LMT's MRP is the best. Both are the best ... in very different ways.

Re: Looking for Scope Thoughts [Re: DogTired] #1044602 03/05/20 07:36 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
These "revelations" shouldn't come as a surprise on a forum hosted by the best knife maker on the planet.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4