Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047497 06/03/20 12:50 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
All the stuff I mentioned above is a WISH list. I know that we actually couldn't carry all that stuff. But it's a place to start. Our main concern would be low lifes that know about "the Lake" and would maybe come by to see how well "stocked" anyone there might be. Ordinary folks wouldn't even know of its existence. On three sides it's nothing but mile after mile of nothing but woods. On the fourth side, the road is about a half to three quarters of a mile away over some very poorly maintained "Logging" road. Meaning it's got rocks out the wazoo and deep water cut "gullies".

It's gonna all be trial and error (along with looking over Gary's list again and again) situation. We shall see.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047503 06/03/20 11:22 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have probably posted this somewhere but can't find it. PLUS not sure if I have posted it or not, so here goes.

WE have a dozen cans of the (Walmart) Propane Fuel bottles (the green 1 pound ones) we bought when they were predicting a loss of power here for possibly several days (for our Big Buddy heater). Anyway, what stove (think Walmart here, or Amazon) would bolt up to these bottles? Oh we also have the accessory hose that can bolt up to a 10 pound (or larger) bottle as well.

Thanks Guys.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047504 06/03/20 01:16 PM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have two of these. I think Walmart sells them also.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Bott...=9Q533FDFTB0JT8JYT6PX&th=1&psc=1
I think MSR stoves are higher quality but they are pricey and I have no personal experience with them.

JYD #182
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047507 06/03/20 03:23 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks Ray! I don't care what Tom says, you're all right. I mean he IS a Marine. wink

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047508 06/03/20 04:24 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
And don't you forget it!!! smile LOL

Even if you have a good BOL you will still need plenty of clean, ready to drink water. A case of bottles is three gallons, and I would suggest taking several with you in a vehicle. Don't forget things like TOILET PAPER, soap, towels, and sanitizer. You will need these items even if your "cabin" is a deluxe, high end retreat.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047510 06/03/20 04:39 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Haha, no worries there! the lake is spring fed (a REALLY slow spring). But we could get relatively clean water from it. IF it starts to look grim we will be buying more bottles but for now a dozen should be OK. TP soap towels and sanitizer, Check.

Oh and it's NOT the Waldorf Astoria. Just one of those prefab "sheds" that has been insulated and has a small wood burning stove in it. Oh and a bed, well almost like a trundle bed but built for 2.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 06/03/20 04:39 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047512 06/04/20 01:17 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
You might consider an extra 12 volt battery, power inverter, solar panel and some form of lights. LED's are best and energy saving, and don't forget a couple of GOOD flashlights. You MIGHT have to check out things that go bump in the night.;)

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047513 06/04/20 01:20 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
By the way, everything I have suggested is what I have here at home. I don't really see us bugging out, but I DO have some bags packed and the other items I mentioned ready at hand. wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047515 06/04/20 01:31 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
We're like Y'all. Not planning on goin anywhere but you never know. We got all the stuff we need here, food, Water, lighting a grill but need something better/gas and or wood (cooking type stoves) Oh and TP! I've been looking at SORTA portable solar panels but haven't done any serious research, yet.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047517 06/04/20 08:36 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
It's tough to beat a Coleman two burner stove for portable cooking, The solar panel is to keep the 12 volt battery charged; hook up a power inverter to it and you have portable electricity. wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047520 06/04/20 12:50 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I was looking at the coleman 2 burners, AND just a single burner. What solar array do you like? Oh and inverter. We have been looking at gas generators as well.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 06/04/20 12:51 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Emergency Kit Development - The Strategy Behind It [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1047523 06/04/20 09:43 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
A gas generator is good, but they are loud and need plenty of gas. They will immediately call attention to you; not desirable for a bug-out location. A solar panel is quiet and just needs the sun. You can buy power inverters at Walmart that will work well at providing you with a couple of outlets for electrical items. For super-sensitive items like computers you should get a true sine-wave inverter; they provide "clean" power similar to your present household current.
When the big ice storm knocked out power a few years ago, we were able to watch television for the news as well as entertainment using a 12 volt battery and inverter. I never had to charge the battery using a solar panel before the power was back on, but I am set up to do so if needed. We have a propane cooktop so I didn't need one of my Coleman stoves, and used the grill or Brinkman propane oven for baking. Something you might consider is a Camp Chef; it has a couple of burners as well as an oven. You can find them on eBay or at Sportsmans Guide. It's a cooktop and oven in one single unit, and you can hook up a 20# propane tank to it.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4