Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sleeping Bag / System... #251423 11/14/08 01:49 PM
Joe Fowler Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I think I've nailed down most of my kit to transition from being an "armchair bushcrafter" to actually going outside.

The one area I am having the hardest time with though is finding a sleeping bag. I really don't know where to begin.

I obviously want light, warm, and small when packed.

However, I'm 6'4", 270lbs.

Anyway, what bags do you all find to work best?

Thanks!

JYD #90 A man carries a knife everyday... even to church.
Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: Joe Fowler] #251424 11/14/08 02:06 PM
Shaolin Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have a Marmot Arroyo and a Mountain Hardward Lumina, both excellent bags.

JYD #55
[color:"#00FF00"]Canyons And Mountains[/color]
Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: Shaolin] #251425 11/14/08 04:39 PM
darkaether Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
you'll definitely need one marked -long or -tall. Mummy bags are warmer and lighter but they are a little more restrictive if you move around a lot. You'll be tired though so it won't matter. Mummy bags are definitely better. If the toebox is tight, you'll compress the insulation and your feet will get really cold.

I have a North Face Flight that I like a lot. Its rated at 40 or 45 degrees but I've had it out down to around 20 and been comfortable enough. I just use a Z-Rest pad because its only a pound and you can't pop it. Its definitely not luxurious but its warm and comfortable enough.

If you won't be inside a tent, you'll definitely need a warmer bag. A bag liner is really nice. Its like a sock. It keeps your bag from getting all funky and you can easily wash the liner. It also makes the bag a little warmer. I have a silk one.

Bags with a pouch in the hood give you a place to put something soft that won't move around. you can get an air pillow or just shove a jacket it in. I'd also look for insulation at the zippers (like a big puffy straw) and its really nice if they have something at the collar bone. If not you can always use a scarf to plug the air leak.

I've never used a vapor barrier because I really don't like being damp, but they supposedly hold a lot more heat it and don't weigh very much.

Tell us more about how you want to use it and we can give more specific answers

JYD #58
Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: darkaether] #251426 11/14/08 06:08 PM
Joe Fowler Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I've been looking into getting a hammock setup. Like this one (it can be used as a "bivi" if there aren't any trees around) in conjunction with a good tarp.

So a mummy is the way to go I think.

The thing is, I haven't gone serious backpacking or camping since I was 18 (I'm 32 now). I have none of my old equipment, but I want to get back into it.

So I feel like I'm starting from scratch, basically.

Any help is appreciated at this point.

JYD #90 A man carries a knife everyday... even to church.
Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: Joe Fowler] #251427 11/14/08 06:16 PM
darkaether Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
you'll still need a pad becuase your bodyweight will compress all the "loft" under you.

They are pretty cool. I've thought about getting one a few times. a few pounds is a huge amount of weight to save and it would probably even be fairly comfortable

You can find a lot of used stuff really cheap and a lot of it has only been used once.

JYD #58
Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: darkaether] #251428 11/15/08 02:08 AM
Shaolin Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Some nice sleeping pads are Big Agnes, and the Pro-Lite 3.

JYD #55
[color:"#00FF00"]Canyons And Mountains[/color]
Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: Shaolin] #251429 11/15/08 12:47 PM
G
gruntinhusaybah Offline
Lap Dog
Lap Dog
G
if you have the coin take a look at Kifaru.net all thier gear is top notch

Re: Sleeping Bag / System... [Re: gruntinhusaybah] #251430 11/26/08 04:34 PM
lighthiker Offline
Mongrel
Mongrel
The sleeping bag will compress under you reducing it's insulation. If you are weight size concerned you can in theory remove it since loft is what insulated. Ray Jardine of the light hiking community removed the bottom and called it a quilt. I made one and it is fairly effective. The ground pad is great for a tent to make up for this loss of loft, not so good for a hammock. I can not get it to stay in position in a hammock. I have my quilt and a north face mummy rated to 20F. I have been in the hammock with both down below freezing and been comforatable.