Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carbine Owners? #389019 02/03/10 06:48 PM
Ironman Offline OP
Pound Puppy
OP Offline
Pound Puppy
Hey big question to any Carbine owners..... what are you running? Got ahold of Magpul'S Art of the Tactical Carbine and has peak my interest in them. I've handled rifles (hunting) and hand guns and have done some basic research into the AR style gun. but want to know more before i make a purchase.. any advice? DI vs Piston is something i somewhat grasp but haven't really decided on. wondering if it's like the chev vs ford argument... more matter of opinion. Any thoughts? also if you want pics of your setup is always welcome!

Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: Ironman] #389020 02/03/10 08:57 PM
jackell Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
First thing to keep in mind is the current AR15 is far removed from the Vietnam M16. Also if you ask 20 different people what they think about the AR15 you will get 20 different answers. I will give you my opinion and somebody will disagree and flame me for it. So be it they are welcome to their opinion.

I have two AR's both Bushmaster's. I don't have pictures but I like to keep it simple, all they have on them is a sling and flashlight.

You might want to go to AR15.com and read some of the post. Lots of good info.

Now for the gas piston/direct impingement debate....personally I think the gas piston is a solution looking for a problem. With that said there is nothing wrong with either. If you want a gas piston get an AR that was built from the ground up as a gas piston rifle. They've had some problems with retrofits.

Stick with well known makers....Colt, LMT, Stag, Bushmaster, CMMG, etc. Colt and LMT get the best reviews.

A direct impingement AR will run dirty if you keep it well lubed. There are dozens of examples of 2000 to 5000 round counts on AR15.com. If you clean it after each shooting you won't have a problem. If you let the carbon build up in the reciever and on the bolt they are a nightmare to clean.

If you don't sharpen your axe from time to time, you will soon be chopping with a hammer. JYD #81
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: jackell] #389021 02/03/10 10:27 PM
Ironman Offline OP
Pound Puppy
OP Offline
Pound Puppy
Thanks jackell, I'll keep all that in mind and will check out AR15.com. anyone else running something other then AR's? any bullpup type rifles?

Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: jackell] #389022 02/03/10 11:02 PM
tagati Offline
Scrapper
Scrapper
First thing to keep in mind is the current AR15 is far removed from the Vietnam M16. Also if you ask 20 different people what they think about the AR15 you will get 20 different answers. I will give you my opinion and somebody will disagree and flame me for it. So be it they are welcome to their opinion.

I have two AR's both Bushmaster's. I don't have pictures but I like to keep it simple, all they have on them is a sling and flashlight.

You might want to go to AR15.com and read some of the post. Lots of good info.

Now for the gas piston/direct impingement debate....personally I think the gas piston is a solution looking for a problem. With that said there is nothing wrong with either. If you want a gas piston get an AR that was built from the ground up as a gas piston rifle. They've had some problems with retrofits.

Stick with well known makers....Colt, LMT, Stag, Bushmaster, CMMG, etc. Colt and LMT get the best reviews.

A direct impingement AR will run dirty if you keep it well lubed. There are dozens of examples of 2000 to 5000 round counts on AR15.com. If you clean it after each shooting you won't have a problem. If you let the carbon build up in the reciever and on the bolt they are a nightmare to clean.

This is great advice. Find a price point and then research against the brands mentioned above. FWIW seems to me that Piston ARs are great way of increasing the price that manufacturers can charge.

Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: Ironman] #389023 02/04/10 12:10 AM
rmc85 Offline
Mutt
Mutt
Wellllllll I LOVE my Sabre!

[Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com]

Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: rmc85] #389024 02/04/10 12:54 AM
sumoj275 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Man, one of my favorite rifles/carbine platforms. I am currently running a DSA gun that I put together with one of their specials for about 600 bucks. It is a flat top, 1-9 twist (my favorite), mid-length gas system, fluted brl, Nitraded finish (supposedly better than hard chrome still out on it as I only have about a 1,000 rds on it in the last couple range visits), regular hgs, complete lower, a BUIS, and a few other pieces I had laying around like a MOE pg, VLTOR carbine stock. I currently run a Aimpoint too. I like irons but I am a lot quicker with the red dot system.

I have had Colts, Bushmaster, DPMS, and others through the years but the thing to remember about an AR is that quality parts equal a quality rifle.

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: Ironman] #389025 02/04/10 01:20 AM
ThePitbullofLove Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Currently, my "go to" M4 is a CMMG.

It has a 16" M4 profile upper, 1/9 twist, WASP coated.
Magpul MOE stock, Troy rail, GGG vertical foregrip, MATECH USGI BUIS, and an EoTech.

To me, DI vs Piston is an answer to a question few need answered. If you keep your rifle in decent repair/state of cleanliness, then a piston is far from being necessary. They will run dirty longer, and run cooler if firing full auto, but since my M4-gery isn't FA and I've run AR's with 2000+ rds of dirty Russian ammo down the bore between cleanings, I'll stick with DI.

[Linked Image from images54.fotki.com]

[color:"red"]Hey man! There's a beverage involved here...

JYD#92[/color]
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: ThePitbullofLove] #389026 02/04/10 01:32 AM
Ironman Offline OP
Pound Puppy
OP Offline
Pound Puppy
been eyeing a stag arms AR, anyone own or know anyting about stag arms? headin to their website now, just curious to know some opinions on them?

Nice Rifles, makes me want oe that much more thanks!

Last edited by Ironman; 02/04/10 01:34 AM.
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: Ironman] #389027 02/04/10 01:34 AM
ThePitbullofLove Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
been eyeing a stag arms AR, anyone own or know anyting about stag arms? headin to their website now, just curious to know some opinions on them?

Stag makes decent stuff, actually.

[color:"red"]Hey man! There's a beverage involved here...

JYD#92[/color]
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: ThePitbullofLove] #389028 02/04/10 01:59 AM
banana-clip Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Have a Bushmaster ar-15 and love it. Shot a couple thousand rounds through it and never had any hickups.

JYD #85
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: banana-clip] #389029 02/04/10 03:01 AM
kuanomar Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have a Rock River with a 16" bull barrel. It has never ever jammed and it is one of my most accurate rifles. With a 3 power scope, I've shot right at .25 inch groups. It's short enough to be quick but accurate enough to reach out there.

I'll try and post a picture.

JYD#116
Re: Carbine Owners? [Re: kuanomar] #389030 02/04/10 06:27 AM
ThePitsBro52 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
[Linked Image from images51.fotki.com]

mines a dpms lower kit with a cmmg upper, with a magpul ctr buttstock, magpul buis rear sight, in the pic it has my brother's eotech, but i'm running a vortex red dot on mine.

"hey man, there's a beverage involved!" JYD #108
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6