Page 1 of 2 1 2
My mail lady brought me a treat today! #47385 04/24/07 10:41 PM
B
Bozoracing Offline OP
Mongrel
OP Offline
Mongrel
B
The Scrapper 6 I snagged on BF showed up today. Wow, nice. I purchased the sheath from the store here last week and did some work to the insert to eliminate some play, but I can't wait to get out and use my Dogs. I'll post some pics here shortly...been busy this week and still have to get all my gear together for this weekends Schutzenfest. With the good weather and the 220 finally installed I got the stove set up for some parts baking. I had to Gunkote the AMD65 (shorty AK-47)I put together for my dad, and then finally refinished my Tantal(Polish 74). So I'll have all kinds of pics to post here shortly. The love never ends!!

Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Bozoracing] #47386 04/24/07 10:48 PM
J33psr0ck Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Congrats on the blade.

I have a registered AMD65 SBR. It's a great rifle for the car because it's a shorty. It fits in my Eagle pack for trips out in the Jeep in to the desert. It's always nice to have an AK in your backpack, just in case.

I built mine on an Amory receiver and used Duracoat. I have been working with Alumahyde II lately since you don't have to bake it and it's held up pretty well. Still need to more testing though.

Here is a pic of my AMD65 with some friends:

[Linked Image from i88.photobucket.com]

JYD # 19
Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: J33psr0ck] #47387 04/24/07 11:29 PM
B
Bozoracing Offline OP
Mongrel
OP Offline
Mongrel
B
I saw your pic posted over on KF in the Ranger forums, and noticed the lack of any barrel extensions...I just went and had an extension welded to the original brake and kept the original configuration. Now my father had to have something different and went with some East German furniture, and just bought an extended brake and attatched that.

This was the first time using the Brownells spray version of Gunkote, so we will see how it holds up. I then used the Brownells Baking Lacquer on the Tantal and don't think I'll be using that again, wants to chip.

Was that one of the Tapco $59.99 Fathers Day special they ran back in 2004? If we were thinking we would have bought a bunch more, but these were our first foray into the AK building and who knew. Already had 2 FALS built and we also have 3 more kits waiting.

Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Bozoracing] #47388 04/24/07 11:32 PM
Leatherface Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Bozo
I built my first Ak last year as well..A Romy Ak with standard furniture

I plan on buidling a couple more and prolly a Ak pistol

I cant wait for the pics!!!

Dave Owner/Thrall Azrael's Custom Leather
Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Bozoracing] #47389 04/24/07 11:42 PM
J33psr0ck Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Was that one of the Tapco $59.99 Fathers Day special they ran back in 2004? If we were thinking we would have bought a bunch more, but these were our first foray into the AK building and who knew. Already had 2 FALS built and we also have 3 more kits waiting.

My dad picked up both of our kits from falfiles.com for about $80, soon after the Tapco sale. Yeah who knew, my dad buys kits like I buy knives. He has 2 more AMD65 kits, one for each of my kids once they get older. He also has a large number of FAL and AK kits of various types. My dad is a FAL fan and has one of the nicest Israeli Heavy Barrels I have seen. It's been fun to build rifles with my dad. It's a great way to spend time together.

I am really not that impressed with Duracoat anymore especially, I have had mixed results with it. I found out Duracoat was just standard paint repackaged by Lauer and sold as something special. That kind of pissed me off.

JYD # 19
Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: J33psr0ck] #47390 04/24/07 11:57 PM
B
Bozoracing Offline OP
Mongrel
OP Offline
Mongrel
B
I am really not that impressed with Duracoat anymore especially, I have had mixed results with it. I found out Duracoat was just standard paint repackaged by Lauer and sold as something special. That kind of pissed me off.

Ohh great, so we're gonna like that Tiger Stripe Duracoat kit my dad just blew his money on, lol. That was going to be used on a para FAL thats next in line. Got the Para kit (lower only and stock assembly) from a group buy on the FALfiles thru SARCO again for like $65.00.

The FALfiles and the AKfiles are/were the only forums I ever spent time on until I arrived here. And I have surpassed my total number of posts on both of the File sites in the just the past 2 weeks here, lol.

Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Bozoracing] #47391 04/25/07 12:17 AM
B
Bozoracing Offline OP
Mongrel
OP Offline
Mongrel
B
So here's a pic of the AMD65 wearing East German furniture, and sporting flat black Gunkote. And this was built on a ITM (OOW) receiver.

[Linked Image from home.earthlink.net]

Last edited by Bozoracing; 04/25/07 12:22 AM.
Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Leatherface] #47392 04/25/07 12:28 AM
B
Bozoracing Offline OP
Mongrel
OP Offline
Mongrel
B
Bozo
I built my first Ak last year as well..A Romy Ak with standard furniture

I plan on buidling a couple more and prolly a Ak pistol

I cant wait for the pics!!!
Once you get all the jiggs and press and such, it's hard to stop. Plus for the cost of the kit and receiver, you can build them for cheap.

Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Bozoracing] #47393 04/25/07 12:51 AM
J33psr0ck Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Duracoat works, you just need to nail the mixture of hardner to paint to the T. Really no different than any other epoxy. It tends to be shiny when mixed to the standard from Lauer. I prefer a more matte finish, but Duracoat is nice in that you don't have to bake it.

JYD # 19
Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: J33psr0ck] #47394 04/25/07 01:21 AM
Andy Wayne Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Very nice. I’ve been wanting to build an AMD65 AK47 pistol for years, but all my money has gone into my knives. To buy them premade is like $600, but if you build them yourself you can do it for a few hundred. When I did some reading, I found that if you build them on a pistol receiver that has NEVER had a stock attached, it’s legally a pistol. Then it can have the short barrel, but you don’t have to pay the $200 tax like on a SBR. Then you can have high power in a compact package. A great “truck gun” for when you’re traveling. They look like a really cool fun toy. I like the looks of this one better than any I’ve seen:

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]

JYD #4
Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: Andy Wayne] #47395 04/25/07 01:38 AM
rvogster Offline
Scrapper
Scrapper
I really like the grip on that one Andy.

Re: My mail lady brought me a treat today! [Re: rvogster] #47396 04/25/07 01:51 AM
B
Bozoracing Offline OP
Mongrel
OP Offline
Mongrel
B
I hade a TDI pistol grip like that on my AMD originally, but have since gone over to the SAW style which fills my hand better..And that looks like the SAIGA forend which I do in fact like, gives it nice streamlined look. All in all a very good looking AK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2