Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Will the 711 be diff-treated or through-tempered? [Re: Massive Metal] #602096 11/19/11 10:04 PM
Jim Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
This is my opinion, and I'm not a knife or sword maker, but I suspect that you wouldn't see any performance benefit from differential hardening in a "knife size" blade. Sure, you can strip and patina a differentially-hardened blade for a cool hamon, but it takes a special sort of person of stress one of Dan's knives enough to snap it -- I'm not talking a chip from hitting a rock, that'll happen regardless of how the blade is hardened, I'm talking about literally breaking the blade.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, enhanced blade flexibility is the only performance gain from differential-hardening; I've read that's why Swamp Rat went to through-hardening after the first Battle Rat run -- there just wasn't enough benefit to justify it. If you want a traditionally made "live" sword or or axe, then you'll want it differentially-hardened, but modern blade steel quality can be good enough for even high-quality swords to be through-harden. I also suspect that the spine of a through-hardened knife is better as a fire steel striker as well, so a case can be made from both a cost and performance perspective that through-hardening is better than differential for knives.

JYD #60
Re: Will the 711 be diff-treated or through-tempered? [Re: Jim] #602097 11/20/11 05:21 AM
tundratrader Offline
Mutt
Mutt
I really hope Dan brings the 911 in SR77. I love SR101 on the smaller stuff but SR77 literally cant be beat on the big dogs!

Re: Will the 711 be diff-treated or through-tempered? [Re: tundratrader] #602098 11/20/11 05:37 PM
Troy Offline
Mutt
Mutt
I don't think that a differential heat treat would give any improvement for a knife this size - particularly in SR101. I'm glad to see that these are through hardened.

The differential HT might even be a hinderance - I had a CT or RW bend right where the hard stuff met the soft stuff once. Kinda freaked me out on the HT.

I hope the 7-11's are available for a while.

Page 2 of 2 1 2