Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath #738541 11/18/12 12:46 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
1. What would be your favorite style, pancake, taco, or open spine?
2. How would you carry the sheath? Around your waist, lashed to or in a bag or a
baldric rig?
3. How would you set it up for actually carrying survival items?
4. What would those survival items be?

Now I'm only talking a day or two, let's say three days at the most. BASIC SURVIVAL items are what we are going for here in order of:

Water - should always be on you when you're "Out there" and MAKE SURE you always keep your water supply half full (whenever possible).
Shelter
Fire
Food
Lets hear it Dogs!

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 11/18/12 01:00 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: SkunkHunter] #738542 11/18/12 12:53 PM
J&G Designs Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Open Spine for thigh carry only but not to attach anything to it. Taco would seem easier to re-sheath if drawing from over the shoulder. Pancake would be great for attaching pouches and other survival items and I would carry that with molle-loks against a backpack.
Not sure about what I would actually carry though need to ponder that one...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. " Thomas Jefferson
James Aguilar
JYD 179
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: J&G Designs] #738543 11/18/12 01:03 PM
G
gunfixrjoe Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
G
I'm planning to make a pancake sheath and mount it to my hiking/camping pack. Also designing a modular attachment to add a multitool, maybe firesteel and other essentials to the outside of the sheath so it can be adaptable.

JYD#149

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: gunfixrjoe] #738544 11/18/12 01:43 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I'm planning to make a pancake sheath and mount it to my hiking/camping pack. Also designing a modular attachment to add a multitool, maybe firesteel and other essentials to the outside of the sheath so it can be adaptable.

Please, when you come up with your "System", post up some pics.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: SkunkHunter] #738545 11/18/12 02:25 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Pancake for general carry(pack belt shoulder) open spine for pack or belt.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: SkunkHunter] #738546 11/18/12 03:06 PM
G
gunfixrjoe Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
G

Please, when you come up with your "System", post up some pics.

Will do Shunk!

JYD#149

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: gunfixrjoe] #738547 11/18/12 06:33 PM
BePrepared Offline
Pooch
Pooch
i think i'm going to go with a pancake sheath, unless i decide to go with a chuddybear leather one

Individual rights are the means of subordinating society to moral law. TANSTAAFL!
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: BePrepared] #738548 11/25/12 09:38 AM
sumoj275 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Pancake, on pack, or in a rigged Baldric. No waist carry for me, genrally have a 3-5" blade on and a gun on belt.

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: sumoj275] #738549 11/25/12 10:09 AM
Flux Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I went with an open spine sheath from azwelke, thinking the MOAD would be a little long to belt carry in a normal sheath. I plan on getting another sheath from Rainwalker for my other MOAD. I haven't decided on the style. I want a sheath that can be a modular, meaning I want to be able to have options as to how I carry it. I want it to be set up for shoulder & belt carry and also be able to quickly unsnap it and attach it to my ruck if it gets too uncomfortable whilst covering distance. I might do open spine or just pancake for that sheath. I will have to decide once I get the azwelke sheath and get a chance to try drawing it both ways. I ordered my azwelke sheath about 10 days ago, so I should be getting it any day. I'll be ordering the Rainwalker sheath in a little while.

If you got a pancake sheath from any of our fine resident sheathmakers (you know who they are!) and attached 2 to 4 small pouches to the front of the sheath, you could turn it into a veritable Mother of All Survival Sheaths (MASS). I have seen many people do this and have considered doing it myself in the past. I have found that I prefer not carrying survival items on a sheath, but to each their own. I carry a few pouches on my belt with crucial survival items that I would only use if I were ever separated from my pack. If you are going to create a MASS, I would use one pouch for items to start a fire (ferro rod, lighter, tinder, etc.), one for water (iodine tablets, water purification straw, bandana or other cotton filter, etc.), one for a small FAK, and one for food (wire cord for trap making, paracord, fish hooks, fish line, etc.)

You can buy pouches on any site, but I would try cheaperthandirt maybe?

Can't wait to see the MOAD MASS!

Last edited by Flux; 11/25/12 10:16 PM.

JYD #137
Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: Flux] #738550 11/25/12 12:15 PM
A
adnj Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
A
I never carry anything on my long knives but some paracord/ranger bands and maybe a small machete file. I prefer a small fanny pack as back up to my pack or when traveling light.

I went with an open spine sheath from azwelke, thinking the MOAD would be a little long to belt carry in a normal sheath. I plan on getting another sheath from Rainwalker for my other MOAD. I haven't decided on the style. I want a sheath that can be a modular, meaning I want to be able to have options as to how I carry it. I want it to be set up for shoulder & belt carry and also be able to quickly unsnap it and attach it to my ruck if it gets too uncomfortable whilst covering distance. I might do open spine or just pancake for that sheath. I will have to decide once I get the azwelke sheath and get a chance to try drawing it both ways. I ordered my azwelke sheath about 10 days ago, so I should be getting it any day. I'll be ordering the Rainwalker sheath in a little while.

If you got a pancake sheath from any of our fine resident sheathmakers (you know who they are!) and attached 2 to 4 small pouches to the front of the sheath, you could turn it into a veritable Mother of All Survival Sheaths (MASS). I have seen many people do this and have considered doing it myself in the past. I have found that I prefer not carrying survival items on a sheath, but to each their own. I carry a few pouches on my belt with crucial survival items that I would only use if I were ever separated from my pack. If you are going to create a MASS, I would use one pouch for items to start a fire (ferro rod, lighter, tinder, etc.), one for water (iodine tablets, water purification straw, bandana or other cotton filter, etc.), one for a small FAK, and one for food (wire cord for trap making, paracord, fish hooks, fish line, etc.)

You can buy pouches on any site, but I would try cheaperthandirt maybe?

Can't wait to see the MOAB MASS!

Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: Flux] #738551 11/25/12 12:18 PM
cold ethyl Offline
Lap Dog
Lap Dog
I have a pancake coming from mashedcat with the dangler opt. I already have a tec-lock

Re: 1311 (OK, MOAD) Survival sheath [Re: cold ethyl] #738552 11/25/12 05:48 PM
Flux Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have a pancake coming from mashedcat with the dangler opt. I already have a tec-lock
It's a good thing you got the dangler! I have a hard time unsheathing my B-11 in a mashed cat sheath with a teclock. It's much easier with a dangler & leg straps.

I still stand by the fact that my Rainwalker split drop loop w/ leg strap sheaths are my favorite setup. They carry so well and angle the the handle outward a bit so that the sheath is away from your leg. It also places the handle in a better position so when you draw the blade, you're not drawing it straight up, you're drawing it outward at a slight angle, making it a bit easier to unsheath a long blade. Hopefully that makes sense. If not, I can take some pictures. It's a subtle touch, but it goes a long way.

I am really excited to get my AZWelke exposed spine sheath because AZWelke makes an excellent sheath and I've never had an exposed spine.

I think that Mashed Cat makes a great sheaths, as well. I've never taken the plunge on a Buy Brown sheath.

JYD #137
Page 1 of 2 1 2