"How do I redeem the GSO 4.1?" wink smile

Seriously though, Gary and I emailed before/during and after his test and I have nothing but respect for his eval and opinions. I did want to throw out a few pics and thoughts on my take on the knife along with my other main knives.

Here some basic fuzz sticks, stake making and notching.

GSO- for me, very easy to use an has good control. I can go from fine shavings to taking big bites easily. Struggled more making the notch for some reason

Howling Rat- does it all well. Did very well notch making...I think it's the grind

Koyote LBK- fuhgettaboutit...does it all well, super easy.

WInkler Belt Knife- thick behind the edge, but does a good job shaving wood. The thick edge and slight recurve made the notch harder for me to get.

[Linked Image from i432.photobucket.com]

Making bigger wood into smaller wood! AKA batonning!

All did great. The Koyote may not look like much, but that wood had some crazy knots. I beat that 1/8" thick stock like crazy...knives don't have to be 1/4" to perform well! Edges held up great on all of them.

After the fact, I did some more fuzz sticks and all did well. For me, the more I use the Survive, the more impressed I am by it.

Saw this youngster on the way in...had a sibling who strolled off the trail.

Took them all for spin in the kitchen to prep a stir fry. Besides the WInkler, they were all pretty close...some knives did better on some veggies than others, but all worked well.

I don't hold anything against the Winkler though...that bad boy is built for other applications! I practice some drills with that knife a few times a week and it's mean, mean mean! Love it!

I really like all these. I don't have a fully informed opinion of the Survive yet. When i first got it, I thought "Meh, I like the grind." As I started to use it I liked it though. Now, the more I use it the more I like it. It almost strikes me as a compromise between the Howling Rat and my LBK...good, tough woods knife. I have to wonder if it's as bullet proof as the Howler though. This is my second Howling Rat and I never got any edge damage on either.

The different read on a knife is just a different impression. When Gary and I were emailing about his results I told him I laughed when he said the handle on the Survive! was too big big....because I would rather the handle be thicker! lol I know as much as I love the Koyote, Gary would likely dislike it greatly..the handle is much bigger and it's pretty heavy!

At any rate- something to look at and read! smile

Here are all 4 for a size comparison.

Last edited by RN; 07/30/14 08:11 PM.

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."