So in the Mystery Ranch...in the back laptop area- a decent poncho, reflective survival tarp, 100 ft of 550 cord, 4 bungees, some zip ties and SOL bivy. Small top storage area- leatherman, headlamp, glasses. Inside main section 3-4 small instant coffee pouches (something is better than nothing! hah!), couple sporks, 2-3 glow sticks, SOS food ration block, water purifying tablets, bag with extra socks, hat, long sleeve pullover, kabar fixed blade knife, old belt, wipes. In a separate pouch I put ibuprofen/tylenol, immodium, lighter, container of stormproof matches and candle. In the 2 outside pockets- gloves in one and that lifestraw bottle in the other...another bottle is on the way.

I work 26 miles from home which would be a 9-10 hour slow walk home i figure. This is enough to keep me going and help me pass a night if needed. I wouldn't be overly comforatble, but that's fine. Plus I have other gear in the car for the family which would be added support. I had planned on a small Stanley cook set and a Mountain House food packet. But...decided the SOS food is plenty and space was running out. That leaves me with cold coffee which is a shame...but it's a day walk so I should be a big boy and keep it light, right? hah! Although...some of the things will come out of the bag and go on my person.

I found a small down sleeping bag that's extremely compact and snugpak bivy I'm thinking of buying to add the trunk for cold weather. But in general- this bag is more basic than my Vertx with much less redundancy built it....on purpose.

Last edited by RN; 10/04/20 08:23 PM.

JYD #109
"I came here for the knives and stayed for the people."