For my two cents - I love the convex edge, find it ridiculously easy to maintain, and the supplies to do so are CHEAP.

cool...

can sharpen a convex edge with nothing more complicated than a piece of sandpaper from any generic hardware store. I've even played with using my LEG as a backing for it. You don't have to worry about maintaining a careful angle, and can be really sloppy with it. You can strop it on a pair of jeans.

I also find it to hold an edge longer and be more durable than a similarly-performing flat ground edge.

I'd rather use a steel...or stone if it gets real dull...that's just me..

on a slightly unrelated note, I don't get using "survival situations" to argue every merit of a knife. Things like batoning and chopping might not protect your knife, but I don't buy knives that cost hundreds of dollars and hold a lifetime warranty to baby them. I might use them differently if I ever ended up in a true survival situation, but I'm about as likely to be attacked by zombies as I am to end up in a TRUE survival situation, so I see no problem with using my knives in a way that saves me energy and makes them perform the way I want them to.

that "argument" comes up quite frequently on this forum about many items... I agree though... not for "every" merit or downfall...its just a point of perspective...

I like all of your thoughts and reasoning...thank you

Doc

JYD #129 You should meet my JYD Brother of the Clock... Sar5....