Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid #577575 05/17/11 01:05 AM
ToboTech Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I currently have basic consumer first aid kits in my BOB and vehicle. I'm starting to fill in the gaps in my survival gear and my first aid kits are rather lacking.

I know theres some discussion on this in the BOB thread started by architecht. I'll quote his blurb on first aid in the next post.

1. Did you build your own from scratch? or start with a premade and suppliment?
1a. if you started with premade, which one?

2. what's in your kits?

3. Does your vehicle/home first aid kit vary from your BOB kit or GH bag? How and Why?

4. Where do you buy your first aid gear from?

JYD 132
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: ToboTech] #577576 05/17/11 01:06 AM
ToboTech Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
quoted from Architecht in his BOB thread linked in first post
FIRST AID

Its amazing how fast something can get infected while in the bush! If you don't have First Aid Training - sign up at your local Red Cross this week. I currently have five certifications, and am always looking for something else to add.

Here are the basics of your TRAUMA KIT. This isn't an off the shelf boo-boo kit that goes in your ruck. This is on the outside of your ruck or preferrably on your belt order:

1) HEMOSTATIC!

You have to stop bleeding. Blood loss will result in shock and death. DO NOT BUY THE GRANULATED PRODUCTS! They are difficult to remove from a wound. I like QuikClot's "Combat Sponge".

2) TQ!

The tourniquet will save your life. Have at least one, but two is better. The best made is the C.A.T. (Combat Application Tourinuuet).

3) CHEST SEAL!

Buy an Asherman, and research how to use it. Do not buy a Hyfin.

4) CRAVAT!

This is a simple, but affective item to have.

5) IZZY BANDAGE!

Select one that is large enough to wrap around YOUR chest. The Isreali is a compression bandage.

6) H&H COMPRESSED GAUZE!

Two should suffice.

7) GAUZE!

I like 4x4's because they're big enough to get the job done. Keep them in ziplock bags (in their original packaging).

8) NASAL!

The naso-pharyngeal airway tube gets inserted through the nose and into the throat when a person can't breath through their mouth due to an injury. It can be used on throat injuries too. YOU NEED LUBE to get these inserted. Tape a packet of surgical lube to the Naso packaging.

9) DECOMP NEEDLE!

The ARS DN is a chest decompression needle. I am not trained on one so I do not include them. If your training includes them - add it. OTHERWISE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE ONE OF THESE!

10) SALINE!

Add a couple of ampules of saline for eye washes.

11) GLOVES!

You need to avoid blood borne pathogens!

12) CLEAN & PROTECT!

Packets of BURN CREAM, ALCOHOL PADS, IODINE PADS, etc. Anti-bacterial First Aid Cream is critical for field cuts.

13) MEDS!

I keep Cipro in my kit for heavy infections. There is also NSAIDs, Aspirin (heart attack), Antihistamines, Lopermide (anti-diarrhea), etc. If you require a prescription - keep some in your kit! I also keep a couple of sting relief pads.

FIRST AID NOTE OF CAUTION: I maintain Red Cross Community First Aid, First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogen, and advanced (outside vendor) trauma training. I also have a very good friend who is an EMT (14 years) and Professional Firefighter (11 years) who has helped my training. YOU MUST SEEK PROFESSIONAL TRAINING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE MEDICAL DEVICES AND TECHNIQUES BEYOND YOUR LEVEL OF TRAINING!

Last edited by ToboTech; 05/17/11 01:07 AM.

JYD 132
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: ToboTech] #577577 05/17/11 01:14 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I'm still workking on mine. Seems like I am always changing it. Right now it is in an otterbox about 8x4 1/2x1 1/2. Gause, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, burn jel, aspirin/anti inflammatory razor knife, forceps OTC allergy meds, rubber gloves, alcohol wipes, betadine wipes, tape, ace wrap, medical scissors and a few other normal kit odds and ends. I keep changing it around from a soft bag to the otterbox and back. I'll get it the way I want one of these days.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: SkunkHunter] #577578 05/17/11 02:22 AM
sumoj275 Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Depending on the kit and where it is being carried. I have had a premade kit in the past but soon figured out that I tend to use some things more than others. These days I make my own for the simple fact that I use what I know. The thing to remember is that you need to keep things in it that will keep YOU going if needed. Don't forget the meds and some superglue--I know, but I have used it before to get by.

Men you can't trust, women you can't trust, beasts you can't trust, but Bussekin steel you can trust
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: SkunkHunter] #577579 05/17/11 02:24 AM
MonkeyBomb Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have modular kits

Blowout kit has the folowing.

HALO chest seal

NARS Decomp needle

4 inch compression bandage

6 inch compression bandage

Roll of Quick Clot gauze

Cat tourniquet

I have a boo boo kit that usually get tucked into my gear. It contains the following.

Assorted bandages

Antibiotic ointment

Butterfly stiches

Adhesive for the sutures

A small suture kit

Assorted meds individually packed.

I also have a comprehensive kit that has CPR mask/seal,sam splints, cold packs, 4x4's, gauze rolls, ammonia tabs, more medications, dental kits, compression bandages, sutures, burn jel and other assorted stuff.

Each kit is seperate from the others or can be stacked together for a great kit.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: MonkeyBomb] #577580 05/22/11 03:48 PM
87Burban Offline
Mongrel
Mongrel
Best price on components I have found is in the Masune catalog

You buy the kit refill and put the contents in your own pack. Several kits have refills available.

http://www.masune.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=53005M

Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: 87Burban] #577581 05/23/11 12:22 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
These look pretty good as far as premade kits. I am looking at a couple different ones and then adding my own self made kit to it.

http://www.1sks.com/store/medical.html

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: SkunkHunter] #577582 05/23/11 06:59 AM
ToboTech Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
very interesting!! thanks for the links!

I ordered a cheapo $15 kit, some izzy bandgages, and I figure Ill start supplimenting from there wit some of the stuff from your lists

Ordered the kit last weekend from amazon.com, free super saver shipping.

won't arrive until next week. 1.5 weeks after I ordered it!

Last edited by ToboTech; 05/23/11 06:59 AM.

JYD 132
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: 87Burban] #577583 05/25/11 07:43 AM
ToboTech Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Best price on components I have found is in the Masune catalog

You buy the kit refill and put the contents in your own pack. Several kits have refills available.

http://www.masune.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=53005M
Nooo, I threw some stuff in my cart and mock-checked out. They charge $9.95 shipping, and CA sales tax.

JYD 132
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: ToboTech] #577584 06/14/11 02:45 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Success! I found my tourniquet today! Ok it's an old cotton belt that belonged to my stepson. It is about an inch and a half wide and the "buckle" is two square "rings" you pass the belt through both rings and then back through over the top ring and under the bottom one and pull. simple as that. Now all I gotta do is get some material or a piece of leather I have sewn onto the belt so the "Buckles" won't cut into your flesh as you pull it tight. I think it will work. May try it out, just long enough to cause the "feeling" to go away.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: SkunkHunter] #577585 06/14/11 01:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have narrowed my BOB and first aid kit to a good knife, duct tape and super glue!

Not really, but I have all that in my first aid kit.

Re: Whats in your FIRST AID kits? and other First Aid [Re: ] #577586 06/14/11 02:02 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
A lot of folks are surprised that superglue can be used in place of sutures, sometimes. I was too until we got our little dog and she had to be spayed before they would let us get her.

JJ, are you on the move yet?

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6