Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: Joining the military [Re: gun dog] #610359 12/21/11 03:19 PM
reconseed Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
im a 1st Lieutenant in the active duty US Army. commissioned out of ROTC and can tell you - being an officer is the way to go.

the army is best for what you want, according to your post. you can be a small arms repair mechanic. i have a few of them in my company and they are experts @ E-4/E-5. they know their stuff and have a HUGE impact on a battalion level firing mission (field artillery). the military is a great career and is something that offers you a retirement that NO other entity on earth can. 20 yrs and retirement pension starts the following month after your 20th year. im at 3 years time now and will be pinning Captain here next year when we get home. i have been here almost 12 months in RC East Afghanistan. Good luck and keep us all posted.

LT Tucker

JYD #59 1LT Clark Tucker OD, Platoon LDR US Army
Re: Joining the military [Re: reconseed] #610360 12/21/11 03:32 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks. I am interested in small arms. From 50 bmg down. I have no interest in field artillery. There is not many civilian jobs that field artillery will carry over to.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Joining the military [Re: gun dog] #610361 12/21/11 04:08 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Not trying to belittle Clark's post, but I thought it wasn't what you wanted. When/if you talk to recruiters, SPECIFY you are talking about HAND HELD ARMS, go ahead and say 50 cal on down. Anything larger than that MIGHT get you in artillery. Also ask if they have GUARANTEED jobs in the field you are interested in. If they don't you might want to go ahead and take your chances with that branch of the service or move on to another branch. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Joining the military [Re: SkunkHunter] #610362 12/21/11 04:48 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
My dad said to get a contract the specifies exactly what I want to do. That way I would have a better shot at going into a field that I want. I will have to ask JJ about it. My dad had a contract for the job he chose in the airforce.

Re: Joining the military [Re: gun dog] #610363 12/21/11 05:49 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Just remember that if you fail in any way your in breach of contract, and they don't have to honor what they put in writing. This isn't a knock on the military - its the same in civilian life.

When I was involved with Marine OCS I made sure to document everything thoroughly.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Endeavour Morse] #610364 12/21/11 05:51 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Oh, and I second Clark's statement:

Do not enlist. Go to college, and then enter service as an officer.

My father was in the Marine Corp from 68-74 and Army from 76-84.

My step-father was in the Army from 67-99 (when he died).

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Endeavour Morse] #610365 12/21/11 06:23 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Money for college is tight and I will not go into debt. So a lone is not a option. Also I really can't find a college that has a program that envolves small arms building and repair. I have interviewed at the Pennsylvania school of gunsmithing and have been accepted. It is one of the
Best schools in the world but again money is a problem. A army recruiter told my dad that the army might pay for me to go as part of my job In the field I want to work in.

Re: Joining the military [Re: gun dog] #610366 12/21/11 06:30 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
GD, that is a possibility if you go the officer route, depending on what the particular branch of the service you choose needs. It is an option worth looking into. They MIGHT pay for your schooling. Write down what you want to do. Write down your options (how to pay or get someone to pay for your schooling). Talk to the recruiters and then write down what they will pay for (schooling).

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Joining the military [Re: SkunkHunter] #610367 12/21/11 06:50 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Yep. I really will be praying about this. I don't want to step out of Gods will for my life. All the Christians here can understand why it's so important to me.

Re: Joining the military [Re: gun dog] #610368 12/21/11 06:55 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I really appreciate all the interest and advise from my fellow dogs. I didn't think this thread would get many posts. But you really care. And for that thank you guys.

Re: Joining the military [Re: gun dog] #610369 12/21/11 06:59 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
It sounds like you've made up your mind to enlist. Bear in mind, if your plans do not align with the military's plans for you - you're going to end up doing something else and will be out the number of years you enlist for afterwards. That's time you can't make up.

My brother-in-law is getting out of the Army this month, and wishes he'd finished college instead of enlisting. He chose to quit school, and enlist because my sister has FIVE children and money was very tight. Now my brother-in-law is getting out of the military with no discernible skills. He'll also have to compete for a job in this economy.

I only say this because my father was military, my step mother was military, my step father was military. The three of those parents had 56 years of combined service - AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM SAID I WAS PROHIBITED FROM ENLISTING.

I'd recommend you soul search about the reality related to making a career out of gunsmithing after 3-6 years in the military.

I'm a certifiable gun nut, and wanted to do something related to guns because they're my passion. However, I decided to go to college and work in a career that could allow me to buy guns at will. This isn't a knock on your dreams, but is coming from a guy that had similar interests / considerations 20 years ago and is very happy with his decision.

It will take you longer, but you can work your way thorough college. Frankly, without a college degree your prospects for a "bright financial future" are bleak.

Re: Joining the military [Re: Endeavour Morse] #610370 12/21/11 07:06 PM
gun dog Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I also thought about a job with Colt, LMT, LWRC, Remington Defence, or a similar company. But almost all want some form of military experience. It seems really hard to get any info about working for one of these companies.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13